Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Re: Walt Disney at the Disneyland Hotel

These are wonderful; thank you for sharing them with us!

• waitin' to board

Thanks for posting those pics.

• Geek

Awesome pictures OHG.i just finished reading Neal Gabler's Walt biography and this post is very nice to see :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Tibs View Post
    Awesome pictures OHG.i just finished reading Neal Gabler's Walt biography and this post is very nice to see :-)
    Is this a new biography?

• Senior Minion

^ It's Neal Gabler's Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination. It was published in 2007, IIRC. Well written, extremely well researched, and a terrific read. IMO far and away the best of the Walt bios.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ^ It's Neal Gabler's Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination. It was published in 2007, IIRC. Well written, extremely well researched, and a terrific read. IMO far and away the best of the Walt bios.
    Thanks MW. I have to get a copy of this and read it.

• soul reflector.

I have not read this biography, so I have no opinion on it. However, I was curious if you have read this Michael Barrier article about the book? It includes this passage:

Diane Disney Miller, Walt's surviving daughter, sent a fax to a number of executives at the Walt Disney Company, denouncing the book as "a monstrous piece of libelous junk. My parents were not the people he creates in this book, and I cannot understand why all of you who aided and abetted Gabler in writing this book, and who praise it and promote it, can do so without suffering serious qualms."
    (from: MichaelBarrier.com -- Essays: Diane Disney Miller on Neal Gabler)

What do you think? Again, I have not read the biography and I do not share an opinion on either side.. just curious of your thoughts as a Disney fan who has read this biography.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sekwence View Post
    What do you think? Again, I have not read the biography and I do not share an opinion on either side.. just curious of your thoughts as a Disney fan who has read this biography.
    IMO Gabler's approach is not the idealized, reverential treatment that informs many Disney Studio-approved biographies of Walt Disney, but is what I would call "scholarly cultural journalism." It sugar coats nothing, but neither does it have the snob tone and attack agenda of Richard Shickel's The Disney Version. It is extremely well researched and annotated; accurate insofar as I can tell as a longtime fan and student of Walt and his works; and in my view fair.

Well worth a read for anyone who is a Disney fan, or is interested in 20th century American culture.

- Neil Gabler

• soul reflector.

IMO Gabler's approach is not the idealized, reverential treatment that informs many Disney Studio-approved biographies of Walt Disney, but is what I would call "scholarly cultural journalism." It sugar coats nothing, but neither does it have the snob tone and attack agenda of Richard Shickel's The Disney Version. It is extremely well researched and annotated; accurate insofar as I can tell as a longtime fan and student of Walt and his works; and in my view fair.

Well worth a read for anyone who is a Disney fan, or is interested in 20th century American culture.

Do you have an idea of why Diane Miller would be so negative about this particular biography? Is she attempting to preserve some idealized memory of her parents by refuting the claims in Gabler's book?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sekwence View Post
    Do you have an idea of why Diane Miller would be so negative about this particular biography? Is she attempting to preserve some idealized memory of her parents by refuting the claims in Gabler's book?
    It's an interesting question for another thread, but one that I couldn't answer.

- Neil Gabler

I managed to find the complete picture of this one. It does look like all three were taken at the same time and at the same event.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12