Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disneyland Hotel Pool Construction Question

I need help from any of you detectives out there. I have two pictures of the construction of the Disneyland Hotel Olympic pool from 1956. It looks as if both were taken at roughly the same time but, there are some differences. From your perspective, which photo was taken first and give me your reasoning please.

Photo #1

Photo #2

Have fun!

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

Re: Disneyland Hotel Pool Construction Question

I think photo #1 was taken first because there seems to be some sort of border around the area. I could be wrong though.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

The First One Due to the fact that there are less trees growing, and in the backround there are less wires and such.... I Dont think my reasoning is great though.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Elementary, my dear OldHotelGuy... Photo #2 was taken first, perhaps a few hours earlier that day but Photo #1 was certainly not more than a day or two later.

We know this scene is facing North by Northeast, and judging by the shadows they were both taken in late afternoon, though it's hard to tell in Photo #2 because there are no hard-edged "Sundial Gnomons" available to judge.

Given time and resources and that old retaining wall and pool deck slab still being there to take measurements off of, you could determine the exact time Photo #1 was taken with an error of +/- 15 minutes and determine the day +/- one or two from the length and angle of the shadow that retaining wall is casting. (The year, we know.)

But the wall is long gone, and there's no easy way to get those bearings and compass headings short of several photos with a known exact time and date, taken from a known angle.

(Or you flip the professional photo over and look at the notes on the back... )

And the angles are strikingly similar, like they left an accessible flat spot there along the fence just for the observers, The Photographer in Photo #1 was about 30 to 50 feet to the east of where #2 was taken.

The work on the Lobby Building complex is unchanged that I can tell, other than in Photo #1 some portable scaffolding has been erected on the second story floor slab to start work on the roof. But that's iffy at that long range, even though the ladder-end of a portable scaffold section is rather unique, the rest is too busy to tell...

The telling clue of which photo was taken first is on our left, the stairs out of the pool area are raw ungraded dirt between two retaining walls in Photo #2. And in Photo #1 they have rolled out tar-paper on the dirt for the concrete (hard black background) and there are two workers placing the form-boards for pouring the concrete stairs.

I can be reached at 221-B Baker Street...

Oh, and I doubt that's a 'full Olympic size' judging from the worker standing inside it, it looks way small. Either that, or they've revised the specs over the years.

But the Publicity Copywriters must have thought it sounded more impressive to say "Full Olympic Pool"... Had Marty Sklar started with the company yet?

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Funny how you mention the size of the pool. It does look awfully small or at least much smaller than I remember when I swam in it. I have absolutely no record of this pool ever expanding in size and I have a pretty complete record of this in my files.

Thanks for your contribution to this posting and I will have a look at your points.

DWB

• Senior Minion

After enlarging and enhancing both shots in Photoshop, I support Dr. Bergman's conclusion that both were shot in late afternoon, but I think that #2 was taken after #1, perhaps by a day or two.

Clues in #2 include the leveling of dirt abutting the west wall that was in piles in #1, and the removal of objects (construction supplies?) visible in #1 just below the easternmost orange trees.

The difference between them in black/gray curves is more likely due to the paper and printing technique, rather than time of day, filters or film stock.

EDIT: Enlarging #1 500%, the sign on the back of the flatbed truck near the orange trees clearly says "Moriarty Construction Co."

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-18-2010 at 05:37 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Photo #2 was taken first. In the center left, there are two men working on a stairway. Just up and a little left is another stairway in the background that is all dirt.

In Photo #1, both stairways are under more construction. Especially the stairway in the back where men are putting in forms for the concrete.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Photo #2 was taken first.
    If true, I bequeath to Dr. Bergman my favorite meerschaum.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    If true, I bequeath to Dr. Bergman my favorite meerschaum.
    I see now that he also mentions the stairs out of the pool area as evidence that photo #2 came before photo #1.

Incidentally, when was this pool removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I see now that he also mentions the stairs out of the pool area as evidence that photo #2 came before photo #1.

Incidentally, when was this pool removed?
    Pool was removed in 1999 when the entire old section of the Hotel was demolished. I believe it was late May or Early June when it was removed. My wife and I stayed in a Garden Room the last night they were available to the public. I videotaped everything in the room, grounds and immediate area. I loved those Garden Rooms! When we left that day, I knew I would never see the same Disneyland Hotel again and it was a very sad ride home. I couldn't stay to watch the bulldozers.

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by oldhotelguy View Post
    Pool was removed in 1999 when the entire old section of the Hotel was demolished. I believe it was late May or Early June when it was removed. My wife and I stayed in a Garden Room the last night they were available to the public. I videotaped everything in the room, grounds and immediate area. I loved those Garden Rooms! When we left that day, I knew I would never see the same Disneyland Hotel again and it was a very sad ride home. I couldn't stay to watch the bulldozers.
    Another person here who loved the Garden Rooms. I always would request them when I stayed there. I still miss them.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by oldhotelguy View Post
    Wait a minute - Did they build the newer pool to the west (next to the convention center) and recycle the original pool into the Remote Controlled motorboats?

That would mean the Cove Bar and the Wine Room and Croc's Bits and Bites were built on the decks of the old pool...

Something's not meshing here.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Wait a minute - Did they build the newer pool to the west (next to the convention center) and recycle the original pool into the Remote Controlled motorboats?

That would mean the Cove Bar and the Wine Room and Croc's Bits and Bites were built on the decks of the old pool...

Something's not meshing here.

--<< Bruce >>--
    Nope. The Olympic Pool was built in 1955/56 and lasted until the demolition in 1999 and stayed at the same exact location. Where Crocs is was a golf course until 1967/68. The Marina never allowed swimming, only peddle boats and remote controlled boats.

That's the Sierra Tower in the middle, the Bonita Tower to the left and the Marina Tower to the right. On the other side of the Sierra Tower is the Marina. The pool is the Olympic Size Pool which was opened in 1956 and stayed until 1999 and never moved its location.

Here is an overhead shot from 1964. The golf course would become the Marina Tower, Marina, convention center and Bonita Tower. The Olympic Pool is just above and to the right of the Tower Building.

They did build a second pool in 1970 near the Dancing Waters and it was called the cove pool. That's the back end of the convention center in this picture prior to the 1982 convention center addition.

Here is a rather ironic picture from 1999 when the Olympic Pool had come full circle. It was now being demolished and looks almost like it did in the black and white photos of when it was being built.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast