Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question about Rainbow Caverns cave

ive researched forever to see if anyone had more than just one or 2 pictures of the Rainbow Caverns cave, but not much came up. does anyone have any pictures or hopefully some video of this attraction?

• Collision speed....FULL!

Re: question about Rainbow Caverns cave

, Here are photos of the Caverns and some concept art for them; they aren't that accurate, as most of them are colorized versions of black and white photos, but they give you an idea of what it was like.

Rainbow Caverns - a set on Flickr

These also show what the caverns looked like with the worklights on.

Please oh Please Bring back the Cascade falls!

Videos of the Caverns are quite rare, even just plain black and white, but if you do a search on Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland you'll get videos of the attraction.
    Last edited by Nautilus; 04-21-2010 at 03:54 PM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Yep, that's my set on flickr. I tried to recapture the black light look by boosting the saturations on color photos and by colorizing black and white photos.

Here's one I haven't put up yet anywhere, with the source photo, so you can see what I'm doing.

There are a lot of interesting stories with the Caverns. It was designed and built by Claude Coats. Instead of using colored lights on water, he put fluorescent dye in the water and made it glow with black lights. Every individual color stream had to be kept totally separated from every other one so that the colors would remain distinct. At least one scientist soberly told him that it would never work: even a few droplets of one leaking into the other by splashing would turn both streams the same color in short order. Walt told a worried Claude Coats to go ahead and build it anyway; with words to the effect that "we build the impossible around here all the time." They did, and it worked, and the scientist was wrong.

Claude used some leftover sets from 20,000 Leagues for the caverns. He just had the carpenters heavily modify them.

There is only one interior video that I know of: a black and white sequence from 1956. That black and white source photo above is a screen grab from it. You can see it on this youtube starting at 1:56

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HmcOtx_28U&feature=related]YouTube - natures wonderland DVD[/ame]
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

WOW awesome, i saw the fliker pics but ive never seen that video, it gives me a better idea of what it looked like. i thought the the dedication to it in big thunder was lame, they could have at least tried to make it a little bigger and more like the original. Makes them seem lazy to me.

• Senior Minion

The Rainbow Caverns was incredible. The best was riding the Mine Train during the day, especially on a hot summer day. For the first few seconds after entering the Caverns you could barely see anything -- your first impression was of darkness, cool mist and ethereal music. As your eyes adapted to the dark, the details seemed to emerge as if by magic. The train went through the Caverns slowly, giving you plenty of time to look around.

The last third of the Caverns were jaw-dropping: brightly glowing, multicolored pools and waterfalls... and that incredible, other-worldly music echoing.

Emerging into the sunlight was a mind-bender, like suddenly awakening on another world.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Bring back the Keelboats!

The book "Nickel Tour" probably has every postcard on the Rainbow Caverns. Great book, by the way.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    The book "Nickel Tour" probably has every postcard on the Rainbow Caverns. Great book, by the way.
    If you can find one (and under budget!)

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    If you can find one (and under budget!)
    You got that right. The cheapest price I see online is $195 (Amazon) for a new copy, with the most expensive $1,023 (Abebooks) for a VG used copy signed by the authors. Average on the used market seems to be in the $400 range. Yeesh! I'm putting mine in a baggie.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• wanderlust

Very cool HBG2! Thanks for sharing
    All this has happened before, and it will all happen again. But this time it happened in London. It happened on a quiet street in Bloomsbury. That corner house over there is the home of the Darling family. And Peter Pan chose this particular house because there were people here who believed in him.

• Minion

Rainbow Caverns, and the Mine Train in general, was what sold me on Disneyland as a kid. I even tried to recreate a miniature version of the colored water in my backyard with my own blacklight. It only lasted one night and was just a couple of pools of color that I manually poured into, but it made me appreciate how complicated of a job it was to build that. They had six separate plumbing systems, one for each color. There were some parts where the train passed over the colored water, and there were separate channels of color, maybe 4 or 5 inches wide, running along side of each other. They passed right under the track. One blue, the next one orange, the next one green, etc. All glowing brightly and pretty opaque, not watery, they must have dumped tons of the color agent into the water.

I still have never seen anything like it since then. The scene in the first lift of Big Thunder does not remind me of it, nor does the Calico Mine Train at Knotts. The Rainbow Caverns was entirely dark and illuminated only by blacklight, there were no colored lights. I remember it was pretty loud with all the splashing sound made by the various fountains and waterfalls. Above all that you could hear the music. It was also cool, with fans blowing cool air around. The first 30 seconds of your trip through it there was nothing, it was totally dark to give your eyes time to adjust after the bright sunlight of the living desert. Then the pools and fountains and rivers started to appear. Since it was so dark you could not see the ceiling or any of the texture of the walls. The stalactites you see in the video were just silhouettes. The video above used a light attached to the camera to make it brighter for the film to record it, but it was really dark and the only thing you could see was the colored fluorescent water and whatever it could illuminate with its feeble light.

There were a couple of signs, also fluorescent and lit only by black light, one saying "Witch's Cauldron" which scared us, but fortunately the witch always had the day off and was never seen. The very last thing before you left the caverns was a set of 6 waterfalls side by side, one of each color, and that was Rainbow Falls. Then you left the caverns and you were back out in the little town of Rainbow Ridge (the buildings are still there now behind Big Thunder).

From 1959 to 1963, there was a Mineral Hall to the right of the the Mine Train loading area, and you could go in there and buy rock samples and see examples of the fluorescent minerals under black light. You could even buy black lights. The employees who worked in that section wore black so they wouldn't be too bright under the black lights. The building is still there now, but I think it is just used for storage or something and only an upper window is etched with the name "Mineral Hall" as a tribute.

This page has some more pictures of Rainbow Caverns, some of them are pretty fuzzy but if you look over them you can get a general idea:
    Index of /MineTrain/RainbowCaverns

The music played in the Rainbow Caverns is available on the "Musical History of Disneyland" CD set that you can buy but it's something like $70 new. You can also listen to it here, the music in this clip is the exact music that played continuously in the Rainbow Caverns:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr0jk48veZk"]YouTube - 1960z Disneyland 8mm family footage with Rainbow Caverns song[/ame]

• Not the Fallen

Thanks for sharing the video!

yeah its disappointing to me that the tribute on big thunder is so lacking.

• Johnny and Me!

Chris Merritt (author of Knott's Preserved) made this map of MTtNW. It gives an idea of the general layout of Rainbow Caverns (lower right).

EDIT: Here is a close-up.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    Chris Merritt (author of Knott's Preserved) made this map of MTtNW. It gives an idea of the general layout of Rainbow Caverns (lower right).

EDIT: Here is a close-up.
    Chris is a big fan of the classic DL attractions, including Rainbow Caverns. When I sent him my copy of this picture, he told me he had a high resolution print of the original photo directly from the photographer who took it for National Geographic in 1963.

For the next few days, the "G" in "HBG2" stood for green.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

The National Geographic photo is about the best picture of the inside as far as image quality, however it was obviously staged. The train was obviously stopped, or else it would have run into the camera. Also the train's headlight is on which I never recall seeing inside the caverns, and there is some other light illuminating the train so it can be seen for the photo. In actual operation, the train would be not illuminated and nearly invisible to a camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast