Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Please remain seated ... through the fireworks?

My family and I were at parks yesterday and had a great day. I was especially excited for our 2 year old to see RDCT because she's seriously obsessed with Tinkerbell and had never experienced DL fireworks. We staked out a pretty awesome spot in the street in front of the castle and waited for about 40 minutes for them to start. When they started my husband and I got ready to stand up because every other time we've watched them from this area everyone else stood up. When we noticed that no one else was standing we quickly sat down and apologized to everyone around us. I turned to the woman behind me and said "Sorry I thought everyone stood up for this show last time I saw it" to which she snottily replied "Well, then I guess you haven't seen it very much." Being a frequent visitor I was taken aback and sat up a little taller out of spite. (which was really silly because I'm 5'1'' and had no hope of blocking her view of anything much less fireworks that happen in the sky!) In truth I haven't seen RDCT in quite a while, not this year at all, but I still remember everyone standing as soon as they started. I even remember a CM telling me to stand when I had a "front row" seat once. And I thought the show wasn't as exciting while I was just sitting there. But then I thought am I hallucinating? Have people always remained seated during Remember? Say it aint so Micechat, say it aint so!

• ---------------

Re: Please remain seated ... through the fireworks?

Certain areas I know stand up.
    But for the most part, I remember always sitting down (unless someone in front us decided to be rude and stood up).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I've sat directly in front of the Castle many times and the CMs always have told everyone to stand up- no sitting allowed. This is bizarre, indeed.

And goodness gracious about that Pass-hole you encountered. I'm sorry for that. If you're not an AP- we're not all that rude, for what it's worth.

I noticed this too when I was there last week. I always remembered standing last year, and then the two nights I watched it last week everyone was sitting. I thought the sitting was nice, except for the trees on the left side of the castle block some of the fireworks from the viewing angle when you are sitting.

• Disney Night Owl

I won't be of much help in saying whether people sit or stand but I'm sorry you had that encounter with the rude lady. That wasn't called for and imagining it makes me annoyed. Too bad you didn't have some chair to sit on and get a little height to block her out, haha.
    http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
    Always looking for new Disney friends.

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

I've always been asked to stand unless I'm already on a bench (but only one that they aren't using that's already in the street).

• Minion

People who find it necessary to behave rudely while at Disneyland most certainly have other issues going on with their lives. I feel sorry for people like that. Not even the fireworks above the castle can make them forget their bitterness. It's pretty sad when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    I've sat directly in front of the Castle many times and the CMs always have told everyone to stand up- no sitting allowed. This is bizarre, indeed.

And goodness gracious about that Pass-hole you encountered. I'm sorry for that. If you're not an AP- we're not all that rude, for what it's worth.
    I *knew* it! Thank you for making me feel sane again! I was mostly annoyed with her because I am an AP and we go to the parks all the time. And I would never say anything like that to someone who was apologizing to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Liz View Post
    I won't be of much help in saying whether people sit or stand but I'm sorry you had that encounter with the rude lady. That wasn't called for and imagining it makes me annoyed. Too bad you didn't have some chair to sit on and get a little height to block her out, haha.
    haha I thought about scooting our stroller over in front of her but that seemed a little extreme!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by Lalalex View Post
    I *knew* it! Thank you for making me feel sane again! I was mostly annoyed with her because I am an AP and we go to the parks all the time. And I would never say anything like that to someone who was apologizing to me!

haha I thought about scooting our stroller over in front of her but that seemed a little extreme!
    Ditto.

Too bad you didn't' have me there to help. I'm 6'4" and would most definitely have blocked her view if I sat up straight.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

It changes quite often. When they open a path way in front of the castle they usually have everyone stand.

• Purple & Gold

Uh wow, how rude! I would have said something back, but that's just me, and it's probably a bad idea

I'm an AP too and I always stake out a spot in front of the castle for any fireworks, and usually around 30 mins prior a CM comes around and tells everyone that once the fireworks start, everyone needs to stand up. However I haven't seen the fireworks since maybe late February/early March. Maybe something's changed in that period of time

You are now rockin' with the best.

• hi!

interesting.. i too have never sat down during the fireworks unless i was watching them from the Fantasmic! viewing area..

and i hope that rude person gets what's coming to her soon.
    -plagued

• Yeah.....

Yeah, this is usually a crowd control thing. On crazier days when they need to keep that artery in front of the castle flowing with people, they will have everyone stand more or less to give everyone a fair chance at a good view. Plus, they can squeeze in a couple hundred extra bodies!
    Contrariwise on slower days, they just keep the castle area as a seated area and fill in that space that would have been a walkway with more butts.

• Snap!

I have always stood

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I am sorry for what you experienced. Most people are really nice, but you do have some bad apples that give the APers a bad name. I recently asked a CM during Spring Break and they said that they were experimenting with something new. do even on busy days, they will have everyone sit up front against the rope on the bricks. Long time ago, they used to let us seit up close and and personal in front of the castle along the middle of the compass. It wasn't until the 50th Anniversary that they had the bricks open for traffic. It used to be all filled up with people that it was impossible to get through without endangering your safety.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast