Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• TiggersAreWonderfulThings

Re: Traveling from afar vs. living close to Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    I used to live 3,000 miles away.
    Now I live 43 miles away, and sometime between this summer and next spring I'll be living 1.5 miles away.

I really don't miss the distance at all. I can decide wether or not I want to go to DL on a whim. In fact, in December I went to the resort just for a friend's birthday party. I could have never done anything like that when I lived in NY.
    It's great, just knowing it's never too far away.
    It's this sort of thing that makes me feel that living closer would be so much better. I would love to go with family and friends for an evening of fun or maybe a reward for my kids for good grades, etc. But then again... see can't make up my mind, I'd sure miss the traveling part. I'd probably get over it though, cuz I'd have no choice.
    T T F N . . .

• Banned User

The difference between travelling from afar and living close is very simple. When you travel from afar (at great expense, of course) your experience might get ruined by the hordes of AP holders who live close, and who overcrowd the park all year long. Thanks, guys!

As someone who grew up their entire lives close to Disneyland and going pretty frequently, moreso as I got older... Living close to Disneyland is GREAT! It's just as magical the 10,000th time as it is the 1st time.. partially because as Walt wanted, Disneyland is always changing! I subscribe to the DisneyParks YouTube channel and that's great because it lets you in on all new cool things happening all the time. I mean, there are new stores or restaurants opening either in DL, DCA, or DTD. There are all sorts of festivals going on, like the Food and Wine Festival at DCA right now. In the winter there are the handmade candy canes you can buy. Halloween there's the trick or treat stuff. Christmas there's the candlelight choir thing. There's different promotional things, there are anniversaries for the different rides and attractions where they have cool things going on. Or like then they have Disney legends as guests who get honored with their own window on Main Street or something. Or when the Lakers win and they go to Disneyland or things like that. Not to mention now the D23 Convention they are going to have every year or every other year. That's like the ComicCon or AutoShow or Disney fans, and it's great to be able to go every year if you wanted.

I'm not saying I do all these things all the time, but it's a nice feeling knowing that when you find out about these cool things going on, that in a short 20-30 minute drive or less you can be there and experience it.

I've never lived far away permanently, but I did spend about 6 months living on the East Coast recently, and I can tell you, one of the first things I did when I got back was go to Disneyland and buy a pass again. I was beginning to have serious withdrawals.

Granted, I'm a major Disney and Disneyland fan.. but I honestly feel that one of the factors I'd take into consideration when deciding to live somewhere or go to school somewhere is how close I would be and how frequently I could go to Disneyland. I mean, based on how much I'm able to go now, I don't know how I'd be able to go 10 or 20 years, with only going to the park once a year or less...

*Also just to add like what others have said. It's really great to be able to go anytime you want, just for a short trip. I remember in high school my brother and I had passes, and occasionally we would go to Disneyland after school on a weekday to just eat at one of the restaurants, maybe ride something, and go home. Or like even just going to the park in the evening, being able to be there at the magical sundown time when all the lights come on.. just sit at the cafe on Main Street, eat a chilli dog or two, and sit and people watch for an hour or so, and just wander around the park like Walt used to when he was there. Not riding anything, not necessarily seeing any shows.. just being able to go and be there, watching everyone else, many there for the first time or the first time in a long time, and watch as they are loving every second of it. It's wonderful to be able to live close and do that.

And if you're considering moving closer for that reason, I personally would say do it. Because not only do you get Disneyland, but you get everything else Southern California and LA/OC have to offer. The beach, museums, festivals, hollywood, sports, etc.
    Last edited by JamesDusenberry; 04-24-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

About 400 miles, maybe less, from Anaheim, CA

I like living a good driving distance away because the planning, the bookings of hotels, the shopping for grocery items for the trip, the drive to southern California, etc. is all part of the Disneyland vacation for our family.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My Disneyland vacations have always been during busy times. For me it seems like that's the only time convenient for me, especially if my grandson accompanies me. Also busy times have longer hours, and I love being at the park from opening to closing.

I can honestly say that the crowds don't bother me. For me it goes with the territory. Maybe someday I'll get to go during what some people consider a not crowded time. Also a guest is a guest to me. I can't tell by looking at most of them whether they are far off travelers like I am, or frequent annual passholders. No one has ruined my experiences. I always have a great time.

• TiggersAreWonderfulThings

Very nicely said JamesDusenberry, thank you.
    T T F N . . .

• Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

My best friend and I live in Ventura County and had AP's last year. We used our passes once (or twice) a month and planned a full day vacation each time. Towards the end of our passes, we got burnt out on deciding when to go and what days to take off work and school.

It's been four months, and we've decided that we cannot live without them! I have not had a real vacation in six years, so the one day a month mini-vacation was keeping both of us sane through working full time and being full time college students. We absolutely love living far enough away to take a little road trip each time. We leave our home county at 9am, listen to music and talk in the car, get to Disneyland by 11:30am, and stay until closing. We cap off our drive home by listening to NPR's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!" podcasts and eating a late dinner at In N Out. We always take a half-day off of work the following day so we can recover from our aptly named "Disney-Hang-Over".

If we lived closer, I don't think we would treasure our passes as much. We enjoy spending the time alone together. Here's a picture of us in line for BTMRR last year on his birthday.

• Animator in Training!

I have the same though every time I go. Even though I go a lot for the out of town person. One of me ex's lives in that area and she never seemed to love going there as much as me. But that might just be because I still feel like a kid haha.

I love the anticipation of going on a trip there and planning it alot more then just being able to go there on the whim any day I want.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."-Walt Disney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12