Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Showpass vs Fastpass vs Standby line

The threads on Showpass got me thinking about this... Some of us, including myself, remember when Fastpass was introduced. We remember what it was like to stand in a line and wait. We also remember wondering "what is Fastpass" and going through the pains of learning what it is. Fast Forward 10 years... and now Fastpass is fairly established. People now plan using Fastpass... and so with that in mind Disney is introducing something called Showpass. For anyone not familiar with this new concept... it is basically a Fastpass for the new World of Color show, and depending on how it goes this may be done for Fantasmic as well. The concept is simple enough. You stick your ticket in a machine and it tells you to come back at X time for Y show. My question is who does it benefit?

There are great arguments against Fastpass... I've stated them before. The bottom line is that Fastpass only benefits those holding one. The vast majority of Fastpass holders tend to be either AP's, or seasoned travelers who learned the hard way the day before. That means that someone's first impression of Disneyland is horrendously long lines for Attractions unless you have some weird ticket thingy. Now they want to do Showpass... what will that first timer's impression be? I had long lines for all the attractions AND I missed the brand new World of Color show because I didn't have a magic ticket thingy...

For years we were conditioned to wait patiently for those attractions and those shows we really wanted to experience. I remember even as a kid having to wait early for fireworks, and as a young adult waiting early for Fantasmic. Now those "in the know" can get a pass... and those without said pass either wait longer or don't get to experience it at all... is that the impression Disney really wants to give first time visitors? Learn quick or miss out...

I'm curious what others think.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Closed Account

Re: Showpass vs Fastpass vs Standby line

The whole "average travelers are screwed by fastpass is a myth". Park maps that people use explain fastpass well.

• We Go On.

The thing is, there isn't another group of people waiting in a stand-by queue being slowed down by Showpass holders. If one person has a Showpass for one show, then everyone else seeing that show also has a Showpass.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

I think if you didn't take the time to learn what FastPass is, especially when it's in the park map, on the website, next to wait time boards and there's turnstiles for the attractions, and you didn't get even a little bit curious to further figure out what it was, then you don't deserve a FastPass.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I think too many people are confusing "Showpass" with "Fastpass".

In reality they are not the same at all. The way I see it you will be let in only with a Showpass. The standby queue will be the exception and not the rule.

I think and hope Disney would ditch the term Showpass for something more direct as to what it really is. Make it clear to each guest that WOC is a ticketed show and where they can get the tickets. I think it would be more acceptable to guests when Showpasses run out that the show is essentially sold out. They can also make it clear to guests that they will allow non ticketed guests in but only if needed and only to capaplcity.

The key to all of this is to not allow any camping out. If they allow this then they're going to have a HUGE problem on their hands.

• We Go On.

To dth316, it doesn't matter whether you deserve one or not, but if you really want to know what Fastpass is, then look at your guide map or ask a cast member.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Having never been to Disneyland, I'm confused how this Showpass would work for shows like Fantasmic or World of Color.

For Fantasmic in WDW I can see how it makes sense. The theater the show is held in is an isolated theater from the rest of the park so they can close off the entryway and force people to wait in line.

But arent the shows in DLR held in more open public passerby places? Do they close off the area around Frontierland until the show starts? Does the entire Frontierland area close for Fantasmic shows?

And what about the Paradise Pier area? Isnt that in an open area too?

I'm confused by the point of Showpass in situations like this unless it gives you priority seating in a restricted area.

Now if you were using the Showpass to go see like Aladdin the Musical or any of the stageshows in Disneyland. It would make more sense cause they're held in isolated indoor theaters wouldnt it?

As a reminder: I've never been to DLR so I could use some clarification here?

• Senior Minion

I think that from the point of view of the non-local tourist, Showpass is going to be fnorked beyond confabulation.

Fastpass and Showpass are two more ways that Disney positions DLR as primarily a local park, and markets it primarily to locals. It's a perfect marriage.

For Disney and for locals, that is.

For tourists, not so much. But then, they're not the audience Disney is chasing.

Now, I'm not saying Disney doesn't want tourists. I am saying that everything Disney has done in the area of ticket sales and promotions in the last decade (more like the last 15 years) advantages locals. It's obvious that Disney consider locals as their prime DLR demographic.

And that is what Fastpass and Showpass are all about: advantaging locals.

The people who say Fastpass is "easy to figure out" are inevitably frequent visitors (most likely AP holders) who have already figured it out, use it to their advantage, and are loath to give it up. Of course they're going to want Showpass -- it gives them the advantage!

Big hairy disclaimer: the above is no criticism of local DLR visitors or AP-holders. Disney has been working its Mighty Marketing Machine on overtime to attract your business, and you have every right as consumers to take advantage of it!

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-27-2010 at 05:27 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Having never been to Disneyland, I'm confused how this Showpass would work for shows like Fantasmic or World of Color.

For Fantasmic in WDW I can see how it makes sense. The theater the show is held in is an isolated theater from the rest of the park so they can close off the entryway and force people to wait in line.

But arent the shows in DLR held in more open public passerby places? Do they close off the area around Frontierland until the show starts? Does the entire Frontierland area close for Fantasmic shows?

I'm confused by the point of Showpass in situations like this unless it gives you priority seating in a restricted area.

Now if you were using the Showpass to go see like Aladdin the Musical or any of the stageshows in Disneyland. It would make more sense cause they're held in isolated indoor theaters wouldnt it?

I am a Disneyland regular, and not really posted about the whole Showpass issue before, but I rather agree. Saying you wait in a certain area and need a ticket to get into the World of Color viewing area is fine, on paper. I can see how that would read, and work well down the line when people are accustomed to this.

But Paradise Park is viewed as an "open" area. There aren't strategic entrances in normal operations, it's a park. I expect to start off, a lot of not-clearly informed and pissed off Guests from all groups being turned away. There's a not very Disney term for what I predict it being. And I am not saying it's the fault of any group (AP's/locals, tourists, the day-to-day DCA employees who will have to enforce this), I hope it isn't a you-know-what, but I am not optimistic of this working at all smoothly at the inception.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post

The way DCA is set up it is easy to cut off Paradise Park (the viewing area for WOC) from the rest of DCA. They can easily close off this area prior to the show. And they will also be cutting off the attractions around Paradise Pier prior to the show starting so there won't be people going around the viewing areas to get to these attractions while the show is going on.

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

It seems to me that the advantage is to the likely-more-informed-locals either way.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    To dth316, it doesn't matter whether you deserve one or not, but if you really want to know what Fastpass is, then look at your guide map or ask a cast member.
    so simple as this
    in yet
    ppl choose not to read the map/signage or ask someone (CM or even a guest walking by)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

I figured out FastPass the very first time I used it. I just looked on the map then looked on the back of the FastPass. How anyone has any difficulty using it is beyond me. That includes everyone else in my family who was there that day, they all understood quite easily and we've been using it ever since.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    The way DCA is set up it is easy to cut off Paradise Park (the viewing area for WOC) from the rest of DCA. They can easily close off this area prior to the show. And they will also be cutting off the attractions around Paradise Pier prior to the show starting so there won't be people going around the viewing areas to get to these attractions while the show is going on.
    Bah! That's ridiculous if you ask me. I was hoping for something a little more along the lines of how it's done with Illuminations at Epcot where you can still walk around the World Showcase even while the show is going on. Granted few things in WS will actually be open during the show but if you wanna walk around or make an early break out of the park, it's very convenient with all the room.

I can see that Paradise Pier must be really cramped or otherwise they wouldnt need the Showpass.

I wonder how many rooms in the Paradise Pier and Grand Californian hotels can get a decent view of this show? Or are the water screens intentionally faced away from the hotel rooms to divert this?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    I figured out FastPass the very first time I used it. I just looked on the map then looked on the back of the FastPass. How anyone has any difficulty using it is beyond me. That includes everyone else in my family who was there that day, they all understood quite easily and we've been using it ever since.

Yeah me too! I mentioned this in another thread, but I actually tried FP at WDW after the first few months it premiered there and that was my first time to the resort EVER! It was 1999 and it took like 3 mins to understand it. And at that time, you could ONLY get one FP at a time until that one expired, had to be there for the hour the ticket stated (no showing up 8 hours later after the past time), etc. I still remembered when people would get the FP but then just stand in line for the entrance and wait for the time lol. Even then when people GOT the FP, they still didnt seem to understand it completely.

It wasnt hard at all and it made my first visit to WDW just a dream. I still remembered getting FPs at MK, then jumping to Epcot to get some there (it didnt take a genius to know not all the computers were connected). I couldnt WAIT until the system got to the other parks then. FP has been a dream to me and especially at more crowded parks like TDL and TDS. No one there has a problem with it believe me.

And sure I'm a Disney guy, I consider myself well informed of this stuff and yeah I do research for Disney or any place I go in the world, but its SUCH a simple process. Just to compare the opposite, I had a friend from England come visit me last year, first time in a Disney park ever. I explained the process and he got it right away. He was criss crossing the park getting FPs like a pro.

EVERYONE can benefit from FP, they just have to take a minute to see how it works and strategize the best way to make the most out of the day. Especially for people who are at Disney for the very first time or who can only go every few years or so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast