Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    Were you there that day? I was. Faster. How much i can't say but enough to notice.

Today the ride has a trip time that can vary up to 30 seconds based on the vehicle weight.
    It may have been faster, but it certainly wasn't anything close to 55 mph. It is no where near tall enough to reach that speed, and that would be assuming there were any drops from the top of the mountain to the bottom, which there aren't. I would be surprised if it was faster than 40 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    It may have been faster, but it certainly wasn't anything close to 55 mph. It is no where near tall enough to reach that speed, and that would be assuming there were any drops from the top of the mountain to the bottom, which there aren't. I would be surprised if it was faster than 40 mph.
    I have heard rumors that it opened going that fast but... when I hired in in 2000 its top speed was about 35 on a 630-2400 day. It rarely reached that speed though...

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84

I don't dispute that, I said it was "rumored" to be that and that is literally what they were saying that day. It was the excitement of driving the new car! Me no embellish.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Senior Minion

Awesome, this should spread out the madness a little for the July 17th!! All hail Matt Ouimet!!!You the man!!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Banned User

Thank you Matt and I hope this continues even after the resort celebrations are over.

• dreams do come true

space mountians top speed is 32 mph + or - 2mph depending on weight of the rocket. As you sit there just before you start, when you are looking at that window you are on a scale and that that is how they know how long your trip will be so they can make sure you dont catch up to the rocket ahead of you. the ride system will hold you there longer if your rocket weighs more.

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    It is "O"uimet, not "Q"uimet...

If I have heard it correctly, it is pronounced "we-may".

I don't even want to think how Quimet would be pronounced.
    Actually it's pronounced We-Met believe it or not.
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

• That's Hawt

And you know what's the best about the 15th? (Besides the fact that it's my birthday ) It's NOT blocked out on my passport, even though the 16th and 17th are! You can bet where you will see ME on my birthday ... Here comes MiceMan to four hour lines baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• ...or just Tonny

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper S
    space mountians top speed is 32 mph + or - 2mph depending on weight of the rocket. As you sit there just before you start, when you are looking at that window you are on a scale and that that is how they know how long your trip will be so they can make sure you dont catch up to the rocket ahead of you. the ride system will hold you there longer if your rocket weighs more.
    That is a rather, hmmpf, crappy system. Very insecure I'd say. Are you sure thi is how it works?

with most, no, all modern rollercoasters, there are always brakes between two cars on the circuit, this is how they are kept apart even if one somehow comes to a standstill...

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    That is a rather, hmmpf, crappy system. Very insecure I'd say. Are you sure thi is how it works?

with most, no, all modern rollercoasters, there are always brakes between two cars on the circuit, this is how they are kept apart even if one somehow comes to a standstill...
    Space Mountain uses the same system you talk about, where the computer manages the zones that each vehicle is in, making sure they don't get to close.

What the scales do is make sure that the system does not need to kick in by preventing the cars getting to close to start with.

The computer controlled zones are the safety system which you ideally don't want to kick in as it can make for a disrupted ride (you don't want to stop at all on the trip) or in some cases an emergency stop.

Weighing the cars before they leave is a preventative measure it tries to ensure the braking system is not required by spacing the vehicles correctly.

Ian
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"

• ...or just Tonny

Okay, that makes sense.

The only thing I don't understand is how the car is weighed. Is it on a horizontal piece of track? How on earth do they do that then? I only know of systems where the cars are weighed on vertical or at least tilted pieces of tracks ( lifthills ), since you can measure the force of gravity there. This is ho the system on Duelling Dragons @ IoA works. However, on a horizontal track...there's the problem of the track gicing a counterforce upwards, which would usually disrupt measuring the force of gravity. How is this solved?

P.S. Please excuse spellig errors, my keyboard is not really doing it's job properly...

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller
    Okay, that makes sense.

The only thing I don't understand is how the car is weighed. Is it on a horizontal piece of track? How on earth do they do that then? I only know of systems where the cars are weighed on vertical or at least tilted pieces of tracks ( lifthills ), since you can measure the force of gravity there. This is ho the system on Duelling Dragons @ IoA works. However, on a horizontal track...there's the problem of the track gicing a counterforce upwards, which would usually disrupt measuring the force of gravity. How is this solved?

P.S. Please excuse spellig errors, my keyboard is not really doing it's job properly...
    I suspect the weight will be worked out by the use of strain gauges on the horizontal track that the original poster mentioned (near the window)

Ian
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    Were you there that day? I was. Faster. How much i can't say but enough to notice.

Today the ride has a trip time that can vary up to 30 seconds based on the vehicle weight.
    I wasn't there that day, but the laws of physics were.

I'm sure it felt pretty fast, that's part of the great illusion of the ride - by having the track in the dark, so wonderfully looped back on itself, your senses trick you in to thinking you're going much faster than you really are.

• dreams do come true

Ian P is right, sorry I was not more specific about the entire system but yes the idea is to not have to use the brakes at all. When this happens you have to push the rockets to get the ride up agian. Not all break spots have e-vac platforms. There is a stress scale and it it works well. If the rocket is too heavy they take it off and reseat the guests in diffrent rockets. this happened more than you think.

• The Magics in the details

Quote Originally Posted by fearsnda
    Actually it's pronounced We-Met believe it or not.
    very true. I have spoken with Matt on several occasions, and it is indeed pronounced We-met.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
    "
    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast