Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

It is Official Space Mountain is Opening July 15th!!!

It is official, quoted from Mouseplanet:

DISNEYLAND ANNOUNCES JULY 15, 2005, OPENING OF
    RE-IMAGINEERED “SPACE MOUNTAIN,” FEATURING
    NEW TECHNOLOGY AND THRILLS
    Classic Attraction Receives Enhancements to Favorite Elements

ANAHEIM, Calif. - March 4, 2005 – As the countdown begins to May 5, 2005, and the launch of the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, the “Happiest Homecoming on Earth,” another countdown is now underway in Tomorrowland for the re-launch of “Space Mountain.” The anticipation has begun as one of the most popular adventures at Disneyland gets ready to blast-off into a new era of thrills!

“We’re very happy to announce that ‘Space Mountain’ will re-open on July 15 as one of the many celebratory festivities leading to our actual 50th anniversary on July 17,” said Matt Ouimet, president of the Disneyland Resort, during a State of the Resort presentation today for local government and business leaders. “Guests will find the classic elements they love, combined with new technology and special effects that make the experience even more of a 'wow!"

“Space Mountain,” the high-speed interstellar adventure that has captivated Disneyland guests since its debut in 1977, re-opens following nearly two years of enhancements and improvements. As the signature attraction of Tomorrowland, “Space Mountain” will once again beckon guests to its gleaming white spires and ominous slopes to experience anew the intergalactic adventure inside.

The attraction will return to its regular flight schedule with enhanced narrative elements and state-of-the-art special effects within the attraction and queue area, while retaining its essential theme and flight path through the dark reaches of outer space.

Ardent “Space Mountain” fans will find the attraction sporting a new generation of special effects, new rocket vehicles and a brand-new, custom soundtrack. Through an all-new queue and hi-tech launch port inspired by today’s era of space exploration (Mars Rover, Hubble telescope, etc.), guests will feel as if they have a first-hand look into the cosmos.

After boarding their rockets, guests will be wowed by a feeling of disorientation in the launch tunnel, hurling them towards a close encounter with a large meteorite. Following an exhilarating race through space, the experience will culminate with a new finale featuring a longer re-entry tunnel filled with spectacular lighting effects.

The initial concept for “Space Mountain” originated with Walt Disney himself back in the mid-1960s, when it was known simply as “Space Port” and destined to become an addition to Tomorrowland at Disneyland. The concept became a reality in 1975 when, after more than a decade of planning, the first incarnation of “Space Mountain” actually premiered in the Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.

“Space Mountain” had its southern California premiere at Disneyland two years later on May 27, 1977. The U.S. Mercury Astronauts, America’s first men in space, were on hand for the grand opening ceremonies and to christen the 118 foot tall “mountain.”

The re-launch of “Space Mountain” joins an incredible array of new and exciting adventures, attractions and spectacular entertainment premiering at Disneyland during its “Happiest Homecoming on Earth” 50th anniversary celebration, launching May 5, 2005. Other highlights include the fun-filled and interactive “Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters” in Tomorrowland, the spectacle of “Walt Disney’s Parade of Dreams,” “Remember . . . Dreams Come True,” (the biggest fireworks spectacular in Disneyland history), the engaging retrospective “Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years” and the energetic “Block Party Bash” at Disney’s California Adventure.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 03-04-2005 at 12:37 PM.

somebody pinch me!!!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by villain
    somebody pinch me!!!!
    Ok I just did, I am so happy.

• Reaver of Souls

Well, it's better than August. But not as good as May...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Great News, was hoping some good news would come out of today's meeting!!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    Well, it's better than August. But not as good as May...
    I personally think the whole celebration should start on July 17th which is Disneyland's true birthday. May 5th is just a Eisner type celebration to make money for all the parks.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    I personally think the whole celebration should start on July 17th which is Disneyland's true birthday. May 5th is just a Eisner type celebration to make money for all the parks.
    Not a bad idea, actually. I wish they had planned on that all along... But then they'd miss some of the summer crowds, and who would want to come in May or June when the celebration starts in July? Not to mention all the things that would still be down...

It's like showing up at Wally World, and finding it closed. Makes you want to punch a mouse.. er... moose....
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Banned User

Not to mention all the things that would still be down...
    Nothing will be down except "the Mountain". It will all be done by May 5

Man this is going to be an awesome ride. I've been on it so many times in the past, I think it did lose some of it's draw but now I can't wait to race thru the stars. I got chills reading that. Matt is Walt reborn.

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

I hadn't heard until this morning. If it's press-released, it's gonna happen. Thank goodness -- there IS a light at the end of the 2 1/3 year long tunnel!
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    Way before Eisner, DL celebrated its birthday starting in the Spring. I remember the the 25th and 30th birthdays when the celebration ran from spring through the fall. Get the whole peak season!

Extending it to 18-months.... Now that is Eisner.

• Banned User

Matt Ouimet kicks so much ***...Disneyland will thrive again under his leadership.
    Last edited by Ghostbuster626; 03-04-2005 at 09:43 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    Matt Quimet kicks so much ***...Disneyland will thrive again under his leadership.
    It is "O"uimet, not "Q"uimet...

If I have heard it correctly, it is pronounced "we-may".

I don't even want to think how Quimet would be pronounced.

This is sooo awesome. Really glad it is happening. Funny how they can find the money to make things happen?

• Social Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    Way before Eisner, DL celebrated its birthday starting in the Spring. I remember the the 25th and 30th birthdays when the celebration ran from spring through the fall.
    Actually, the 30th birthday celebration started in January and ran through December. Ya know, kinda like that thing called the calendar year. It was the "30th Year" promotion and it ran all during the 30th year.

That being said, I'm so jazzed about Space Mountain returning in time for the actual 50th birthday. Even if there are soft openings before the 15th, I am going to wait until the 17th for my first ride on the "new" Space Mountain; it will spice up the 50th Birthday quite nicely for me.

• It's all nonsense

It's been so long. SM oh we have missed thee.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast