Page 11 of 615 FirstFirst ... 891011121314213661111511 ... LastLast

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

HBG2, THANK YOU for posting that '76 audio and especially those graveyard pop-up vocals! And, yes, from what I could discern there's at least a couple there that completely new to those of us who have been audio fanatics. Interestingly, there seem to have been no bicycle-rider shrieks like WDW got. Incidentally, I thought I should make clear in my earlier post about the 1973 audio recordings I made of the WDW HM, that I was posting about my *recollections* of what they contained - in reality the actual tapes themselves went missing after a move I made some years ago and all I have are my memories of what I heard. (I still rue the day the box that contained them apparently got thrown out as trash...) However, I do still have one I made of the DL HM on my first visit to that park in 1979, although alas I can attest from it that by that date all pop-up vocals were now gone from the graveyard - although the attic still had the same audio at least...

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Congratsarama Dr. HBG2 and thankies for sharing the audio with us on your blog!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Had a listen to that audio now, and it truly is a treasure! Thank you for sharing it.

A few points:

1) I really love that unhinged Frees laugh in the Corridor of Doors. Too bad it went away, maybe too unsettling or creepy for the perceived audience, who knows.

2) The audio bleed from the attic into the ballroom viewing scene is interesting, and hearing it did remind me of riding HM pre-attic changes. You could hear the pop-up screams coming (in this audio file, they occur in the vicinity of the blasts of the duelist's guns) as you approached the scene as I recall it, making it rather possible to be put "on-edge" even before you entered the attic.

3) The match-up between the chorus end and pop-up vocals is very nice, indeed...a pity they toned down the pop-ups. though I still love them in all their cheesy, stylized sculpted glory. As is mentioned, I like them on their own merits (as well as being the basis for my beloved CoD "family portraits"), besides the fact of their tie-in to the classic carnival spookhouses.

4) It comes across well in the audio, how the whole attraction used to be skewed more "darkly"/frightening in atmosphere, from the howling wind and occasional dark laughter as you loaded, to the CoD, to the respite of Leota and the ballroom...more eerie, but serene. Then the attic, which of course was the "scariest" scene, and the graveyard...lots of gags, but still the loud pop-up vocalizations to catch folks off guard.

5) Regarding the seance scene: this audio merely reminded me how much I like that little snippet of eerie, disembodied music after the line "Let there be music from regions beyond" (besides the fact of inspiring my user name ). It is very effective, just slightly "wrong" and out of tune...very masterfully played, while still being recognizable as the eventual graveyard boogie version of GGG.

Great file, once more...I have bookmarked it for further listening, when want a taste of the "old days" when the Mansion was allowed to be blatantly scary a bit more....
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• =)

Yeah, that trumpet rendition of GGG is good. But then again...so is every bit of music used in the entire attraction, so no surprises there.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post

1) I really love that unhinged Frees laugh in the Corridor of Doors. Too bad it went away, maybe too unsettling or creepy for the perceived audience, who knows.
    I swear, I don't hear any laugh by Paul Frees in the COD. I do hear a new sound that I've never heard before, but it isn't Paul. Just past the coffin occupant or thereabouts; it occurs twice. Roughly when the moaning track becomes audible. It's much higher than Paul's "assorted laughter" tracks on the recording sessions.

All the other COD sounds I recognize.

I also noticed that Thurl's "Where is everybody?" track doesn't seem to be there.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    I swear, I don't hear any laugh by Paul Frees in the COD. I do hear a new sound that I've never heard before, but it isn't Paul. Just past the coffin occupant or thereabouts; it occurs twice. Roughly when the moaning track becomes audible. It's much higher than Paul's "assorted laughter" tracks on the recording sessions.

All the other COD sounds I recognize.

I also noticed that Thurl's "Where is everybody?" track doesn't seem to be there.
    True, the fact of it being Paul was based on sounding like him to me at any rate. It is at the very start of the CoD sequence, a maniacal sort of "Muahahahaha!" laugh that's not present in current day, and it sounded to me like him vaugely, in the same kind of vein as the cut laughter he has on the 30th anniversary CD ("Laughing. Assorted laughter, of ghosts", followed by him getting increasingly worked up and maniacal with the laughing). It occurs maybe 6 seconds after the "Shhh...listen...." line.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    True, the fact of it being Paul was based on sounding like him to me at any rate. It is at the very start of the CoD sequence, a maniacal sort of "Muahahahaha!" laugh that's not present in current day, and it sounded to me like him vaugely, in the same kind of vein as the cut laughter he has on the 30th anniversary CD ("Laughing. Assorted laughter, of ghosts", followed by him getting increasingly worked up and maniacal with the laughing). It occurs maybe 6 seconds after the "Shhh...listen...." line.
    Oh, that one... You mean just before the female 'hee, hee, hee, hee' cackle (another new one I missed earlier) and wolf howl? I thought that was someone in the ride. Sounded "live" at first. You're right, that IS Paul. Just checked the recording session. It was the next to last laugh he recorded.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Oh, that one... You mean just before the female 'hee, hee, hee, hee' cackle (another new one I missed earlier) and wolf howl? I thought that was someone in the ride. Sounded "live" at first. You're right, that IS Paul. Just checked the recording session. It was the next to last laugh he recorded.
    Yes, that's the one I mean...and very good it is, too, though maybe too over the top as judged by later executives....bah.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Okay, I did it. The full 1976 audio ridethru of the DL HM is up at my blog. I've been trying for hours to get some nice excerpt files posted too, but I'm getting no cooperation from the usual storage sites so far. Scroooot. I'll work on that later. For now, you got an amazing historical doc.

Speaking of docs, tomorrow's the day. It'll be Dr. HBG2.
    I'm saying thanks ahead of time, I'm getting it later.

Congratulation Doc!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Merely a brief plug, if folks here don't visit this blog. The latest article from the excellent Passport to Dreams Old & New will certainly interest the Mansion fan with a taste for the obscure, historical, and design process behind Disney park attractions and layouts: Passport to Dreams Old & New: History and the Haunted Mansion

More off topic, it occurred to me during idle thought....why has there not been a Pirates lore megathread? Certainly, it lacks some of the ambiguity of the Mansion, and there hasn't yet been a "hook" (long-forgotten effect) to jump start such a thread, but certainly design details, obscure lore, concept art, memories, and speculation abound with that attraction as well. Alas, I am hardly an expert, and don't expect one to magically appear....seeing as these threads were quite the organic growth added to by a whole host of folks over time. There is material galore out there, I am sure, though....merely I am not the one to set sail on such a voyage, and wouldn't hoist such on anyone that such a thread must be started. Just idle thinking, in this case. Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

• Parking Lot > DCA

Just browsed your blog, HBG2, & I must say very nice!

• =)

I agree, Pirates WOULD be an excellent contender for another Long-Forgotten-style series of threads. Just gotta find a few people with enough artwork, inside sources, and general amazingness to get it going...

• Inhospitable about happy

I've put up some more files on the site. Some mini-files for ease of reference, etc.

POTC doesn't seem to have the same mojo, truth be told. Jeff Baham's twin site to his Doombuggies.com is Tellnotales.com. It's just about as well done as DB.com, but it seems (to me anyway) like it's been on life-support practically from the beginning. It's chatboards are barren wastelands by comparison with DB.com'sand those are actually past their prime, in terms of traffic and pizzazz.

I think the problem with POTC is that it's too perfect. You don't have stacks of competing concept art from quarreling Imagineers. You don't have whole projects within projects that rose and fell over the years. Instead, it's a Marc Davis masterpiece from start to finish, with very little internal friction by comparison with the HM. It makes for a great ride, but less-interesting history. It's HM's quirks and eccentricities that make it so endlessly fascinating.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Mr. Ghost

The problem with Potc is there are few long forgotten effects.
    *Pirates Chasing Women (replaced by women chasing pirates w/ food)
    * Woman Hiding in Barrel (replaced by a Cat?, Then Jack Sparrow)
    * Was the Jolly Roger flag Changed from a blood stained version to a non blood stained version?
    * Pirates dueling in powder magazine ?
    * Pirates moving treasue up hill replaced by Jack Sparrow ?
    * Rock at the end changed to a map of .. Isla Tesaro.
    (The questions are things I am unsure of, as I do not keep up with changes, but I am glad the cannon ball splashes were ramped up again in 2005, plus I forgot "Blackbeard" was replaced by Capt. Barbossa)

• Perhaps he knows too much

I see that a cleaned up version of the 1976 ridethrough has already been posted along with the individual clips, but I was gonna do this for my own use anyway...so here's another version of the ridethrough. I clipped out the repeated bits of hallway audio, smoothed out the gaps, did some slight audio cleanup (EQ, targeted hum reduction, removal of a few pops & clicks), split into tracks according to scene or soundtrack cues; converted to high quality mp3, and added ID tags to the files. Enjoy, if there anyone who needs yet another version.

Download The Haunted Mansion - 1976 Ridethrough (mp3).zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM