Page 112 of 581 FirstFirst ... 1262102109110111112113114115122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 8703

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

If you've been following the blog, you know that the last post was about various possible influences on the HM. One point was that since we know Marc Davis drew inspiration from a horror comic cover in one instance, that opens the possibility that other material from those types of sources may have provided a source of inspiration.

That's a huge database of possibilities to explore. Here's another sorta-maybe example for your consideration...

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

New update:
    YouTube - Audio Description: Narrated Audio for Haunted Mansion Guests

Apparently the ride is described to people with disabilities. it will be interesting to see how Disney describes its own ride. Seems promising, if impossibly corny.

Also: 1,666th post. Creepy!
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

• Forgotten Spirit

^ Jesus that sounds awful

You guys definitely want to check out today's posts at Daveland and at KevinKidney for a slew of 1962 construction photos of the HM, including the billboard they had out front while it was going on, plus a picture of art director Bill Martin checking out the construction. Martin, you will recall, was later commemorated on a headstone:

Last edited by HBG2; 11-20-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: fix links

• This is it... COME ON!!

I can't wait till number 8!!
    Disneyland's closed for all of 2011. See you in 2012. Snow White is now a water ride, Matterhorn has a fullsize basketball court where the Clippers have relocated to, and King Arthur's Carousel is suspended 250ft. in the air.
    Enjoy it while it lasts! LOL!

Proud Premium Passholder

What happened to the old Disney movie opening? The new ones just too long and not classic.

• Minion

I'm really digging Epic Mickey's usage of the Lonesome Ghosts in Bog Easy. Good nod to the Mansion's conceptual origins.
    Last edited by FigmentJedi; 11-20-2010 at 04:45 AM.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Mr. Ghost

I liked that Daveland had pics of the mystery pile near the mansion. But it leads to the question, is all that dirt from digging down to the current Mansion loading level? I would think it would be easier to move the dirt away in trucks.

• We Go On.

HBG2, I love your blog post about the Lockheed plant. Fascinating! Why don't they teach this stuff in school?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    I liked that Daveland had pics of the mystery pile near the mansion. But it leads to the question, is all that dirt from digging down to the current Mansion loading level? I would think it would be easier to move the dirt away in trucks.
    What looks like a dirt pile behind the HM in the photos isn't a dirt pile, it's the berm.

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    HBG2, I love your blog post about the Lockheed plant. Fascinating! Why don't they teach this stuff in school?
    Thanks. Yeah, it's curious why this is not better known. Perhaps the photos haven't been declassified all that terribly long.

Here's a nice color shot from 1963, with an unusual NW to SE view. These photos are always lots of fun. If some excuse is needed for posting it here, I can point to the HM building, newly completed at the beginning of the year. Notice too the smaller-scale POTC they were working on then. You will recall that the HM was actually the first attraction planned from the beginning to go beyond the berm.

• Mr. Ghost

Those pre 1967 shots are always good at putting things into perspective. Nature's Wonderland is clear as is Cascade peak. And it looks like they are clearing out where IASW will be. Plenty of room in the future Space Mountain site. I did'nt know they started POTC that early. Back then it was probably still going to be the Pirate Museum Walk Through. What are those things that are coming off of the Carousel?

Those are streamer-like awnings, for shade.

Daveland posted the rest of those construction photos today. I've stitched together one of them with one from the other day to create a panorama shot.

• Forgotten Spirit

You know, I was thinking about the fiber optic stars in the graveyard, should they be across the entire ceiling? I only notice them across the ramp that leads into the main graveyard area. Do they just not work/aren't turned on besides the descent area?
    Last edited by MrHatboxGhost; 11-22-2010 at 09:53 AM.

That's the only place those stars are, or have ever been, because that's the only place where your attention is directed at the sky. Elsewhere it is not expected that anyone will look up. If you're a stickler for consistency, you can always claim that it's overcast, with an occasional opening revealing the stars.

• Forgotten Spirit

Oh that makes sense, I just wasn't sure if it was some effect that was turned off (I'm looking at YOU Thunder Mountain doors) or broken :P

Thanks

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM