Page 114 of 618 FirstFirst ... 146489104111112113114115116117124139164214614 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 9257

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I think I have at this point a rather nice little bit of HM goodness that hasn't yet graced these Threads in any format. Knock on wood, I don't recall seeing this in all the many and varied postings, but of course with the volume of posts, hard to tell 100 percent.

We all know of course of the original record, Story and Song from the Haunted Mansion, released prior to attraction opening. Pete Renoudet (better known as Henry from Country Bear Jamboree among other Disney roles) provided the Ghost Host narration for such, rather than Paul Frees. A source that shall remain unnamed has provided the following unused narration likely intended for the final Mansion in ride-through format before selecting Frees as the final Ghost Host, delivered by Renoudet:

YouTube - Alternate Haunted Mansion Intro - Pete Renoude

Interesting, isn't it, and tends to skew more stereotypical haunted house movie cliches a bit as well as keeping the bit about Walt Disney's original idea of the Mansion being moved to the park and the ghosts running the inside, while the outside was maintained to Disneyland standards. Apologies if this is indeed old news, but a nice piece of Mansion history even if so.
    What that is right there is the recording said to have been made especially for the unveiling of the ride at the press preview event, the one held at midnight, August 11/12, 1969.

It's identical to a clip you can find on THIS page at DB.com (scroll 'way down), except that the very beginning is different. That's new to me. Yours says that the "Ghost Host" is going to "materialize at the stroke of twelve" to act as tour guide, whereas the one at DB.com speaks of "the happy haunts" who have "donned their finest shrouds, and are prepared to greet you at the stroke of twelve." From then on the recordings are absolutely identical. What your source has given you is probably an earlier version. What I think happened is that they decided to call attention not to the recorded GH (Frees) but to the maids and butlers as the guides for the press people, so as not to create confusion. After all, the GH does NOT materialize. Pete simply rerecorded the opening few lines, and they were dubbed on to the existing recording. I wouldn't be surprised if all of this happened at the same recording session.

Anyway, it's partly unique, and it sheds light on their preparations for as smooth a press event as possible, so your wood-knocking was not in vain.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• is too darn hot.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

How much to you suppose one of those skeleton keys would go for on eBay?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Forgotten Spirit

Disney Haunted mansion hanging wall plaque - eBay (item 300498256059 end time Dec-08-10 06:57:46 PST)

I'm confused on whether that guy is passing it off as a real sign from the ride or a replica...it doesnt look faithful

• Halloween 2011

Quote Originally Posted by MrHatboxGhost View Post
    Disney Haunted mansion hanging wall plaque - eBay (item 300498256059 end time Dec-08-10 06:57:46 PST)

I'm confused on whether that guy is passing it off as a real sign from the ride or a replica...it doesnt look faithful
    $450.00???!!! He's out of his mind.
    The item is a real Disney collectible, but not park-used. Disney made HM plaques available one Halloween, then the following Halloween they made this customizable version. The empty rectangle is supposed to be filled with a custom name plate, like The Smith's Haunted Mansion.

$450 is outrageous and no HM collector would pay that price. From what I recall, the piece sold initially for $100, and I just found one one Ebay that didn't sell for $149. Plaques without the customize feature are going for about $100.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    <Snipped> $450 is outrageous and no HM collector would pay that price.
    But he isn't necessarily selling to Haunted Mansion Collectors who know what it's worth - he's selling to the unwashed public on eBay. Where everything for sale is "Rare, Mint In Box, Never Opened, One Of A Kind!!!", even when a search turns up a dozen for sale. By the same seller.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

If you only ever learn one Latin phrase in your life, "Caveat emptor" would be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    But he isn't necessarily selling to Haunted Mansion Collectors who know what it's worth - he's selling to the unwashed public on eBay. Where everything for sale is "Rare, Mint In Box, Never Opened, One Of A Kind!!!", even when a search turns up a dozen for sale. By the same seller.

--<< Bruce >>--

I have to say, that being new to this board, there are some really great photos and info here, and I really like the fact that you all go out of your way to protect unsuspecting buyers from con-artists like this guy. Most novices would think that it is a very rare, and possibly original item!

James

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Is it December already? Things rather slow around the old thread, but some excellent posts of late on HBG2's blog...thank you very much Dan for the very well-written and researched posts. Now, just let me clear some of the cobwebs away here...ah, that's better.

Now, at the outset, let me state I have precisely zero new information on the subject about to be raised from it's creaky old crypt. I have no knowledge or even real expectation of the event about to be questioned occurring in the near future. Are we as clear as Madame Leota's crystal ball? Excellent. A little graphic, as yes, we have discussed this very subject many times before:

Name:  r13568_Dead%20Horse.gif
Views: 80
Size:  129.0 KB

In a matter of 4-5 weeks, the Mansion will be undergoing the annual shut down to remove all aspects of the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay. Things will once more retain a more stately, eerie, subtle aspect inside the possessed halls of the old house on the outskirts of New Orleans Square. The question is this...is the on-again, off-again saga of old "vanishing noggin" still on any sort of timetable kept on the down low? I don't much expect the creaking gates to open and the Mansion to have one more resident than when it closed, but you never know.....I daresay in the modern day and age, Disney can't keep many secrets about work inside the parks or projects in development.

Anyone out there heard whispers from the other side on the subject? I have heard literally nothing, unlike the previous year when quiet testing was being done after hours and had to be scrapped. And there endth this postperhaps our wayward ghostly friend will remain incorporeal permanently, who knows....
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

I've heard zero about it. Not the shadow of a rumor. So of course, this would be a perfect time for him to show up. But I doubt it.

Funny, though, I was just on my way over here to give the ol' Thread a kick in the pants, so we were on the same wavelength, I guess.

Funny you should mention el bloggo, too, because...

See, I'm intrigued with the theory I've developed in the last couple of LF posts, and really, you know, they're discussion items, so the topic belongs here in the land of live, ongoing discussions (rather than in the limited confines of the Comments section over there).

(That's bigger than the one at the blog.)

Here's what it boils down to: there are different psychological avenues for entertaining an audience. You always want to surprise and delight them, but it can be done in very different ways. My argument is that the way it's done in the Tiki Room, Small World, POTC, and many others is to Amaze and Impress.

With Amaze and Impress, people are dazzled but not baffled. They know what they're looking at: complex robotic figures controlled by sophisticated computers. They're amazed at how lifelike or detailed the figures are, but they're not mystified by them. "Robots controlled by computers" is a perfectly satisfactory explanation. They may be intrigued and puzzled by incidental things they have seen (how do they make that real-looking fire in POTC?), but these are part of the background, not the focus of the show itself. The audience leaves the attraction thoroughly entertained and deeply impressed with the technical skill and creative ingenuity of Disney, but they're not at a loss to explain what they saw.

I contrast this with the approach of magic, whether it's small scale parlor magic or stage magic. You are essentially presented with a performance of something that should be impossible, and yet it was done. The entertainment consists in part with trying to figure out how they did what they did, because it could not be what it looked like. You are Amazed and Baffled. And there's more: if you do find out how the trick was done, it still remains entertaining somehow. Maybe you feel a little superior now that you know "the secret." Or maybe you now enjoy seeing how convincing the illusion is, even though you know how it is done. Your senses are still trying to convince you that it's a miracle, even though you now know better. And that's fun, for some reason.

Okay, I tried to argue that the reason the HM seems so unique and wears so well is that it takes the Amaze and Baffle approach to entertainment rather than the Amaze and Impress route. At first you experience the "how do they do that?" with Leota, the Ballroom, the stretchroom, etc. Later you learn how these are done, but they're still fun to look at because the illusion is so strong, so real-looking. I illustrated the point with the follow-you busts. You know exactly how they work, and you know that they're ridiculously simple, and yet you still like to move back and forth and watch them follow you. You're enjoying the force of the illusion.

I don't know, this is a theory in process, so I'm not sure I'm articulating it as well as I'd like, and I'd also like to know how it bounces off of you guys. Agree? Disagree? Modify? The HM is a magic show in which you know how all (or almost all) of the tricks are done, but that never seems to ruin the entertainment value of magic tricks, so it doesn't matter very much.

It's like they're opposites. With Amaze and Impress you have an entertainer who is using something that is astoundingly complex in order to produce something natural and normal looking (an AA pirate swings his sword, talks, and blinks), and nobody's trying to trick you. Everybody knows (you and Disney) that it's "robots and computers." With Amaze and Baffle the entertainer has taken something obviously simple (ropes, boxes, rings) and has produced something that looks supernatural and miraculous with it (and both you and he know it's an illusion).

I dunno. Thoughts?

double post
    Last edited by HBG2; 12-08-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: double post

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Amaze and baffle sounds about right. At the end of the day, you know how POTC is done. I've met people older than I am who still haven't figured out how the ballroom is done (though most of them understand that lights are somehow a factor.) It's what keeps people coming back, yeah.
    dreams. come. true.

• roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    It's like they're opposites. With Amaze and Impress you have an entertainer who is using something that is astoundingly complex in order to produce something natural and normal looking (an AA pirate swings his sword, talks, and blinks), and nobody's trying to trick you. Everybody knows (you and Disney) that it's "robots and computers." With Amaze and Baffle the entertainer has taken something obviously simple (ropes, boxes, rings) and has produced something that looks supernatural and miraculous with it (and both you and he know it's an illusion).

I dunno. Thoughts?
    let me ramble on a bit, maybe I'm reading too much into the ride but seeing how obsessive all of those who've come before me are I'm not too concerned about over analyzing the HM.

Their is a timelessness to all of the attractions in Disneyland and all of them seem to be themed toward an era that transports the guest to that date. Disney goes to great lengths to suspend reality as soon as you walk through the gate. The greeting of early century steam railroads combined with an easygoing main street put you at ease. Then with each turn in the park the guest is transported to a different point in time. You could be in a medieval castle, surrounded by 17th century pirates, 1940's Indiana Jones, off to the future in Tomorrowland and then there's the fun rides such as Splash Mountain, It's a Small World, everything in Fantasyland.

But the HM is different, that ride transports you to a world beyond this mortal coil. A place with no life and no resolve. A world of a bizarre purgatory state full of unanswered questions. And the very fact they spent years studying this world presents itself each moment you spend within the confines of the HM. You are correct it does amaze and it does baffle, it also frames each illusion with great detail and without a doubt one of the finest scripts ever written. The senses are overwhelmed by the time you hear, Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it your imagination, hmm?

It's a masterpiece IMHO. It is the finest amusement park ride I've ever been on, but in my mind it is also a moving piece of art. Just as we know how each illusion is achieved in the HM, we also know how each medium of art is achieved in say the Getty, MOMA or the Louvre. And just as fine art transports, enriches and makes me think so does the HM with each subsequent viewing. Of course the haunting keeps calling me back... Hurry back! Hurry back! Be sure to bring your death certificate, if you decide to join us. Make final arrangements now! We've been dying to have you!
    Last edited by hubbub; 12-11-2010 at 06:40 AM.

Have you ever wanted to own an actual Alligator Gal stretching portrait painting that was actually used in the ride? Here's your chance:

YouTube - Auction interview Hollywood Treasure's Joe Maddalena: Original Disney Haunted Mansion portrait

• roundabout

Great Find!

That completes my Christmas wish list. They say "Holy Grail", yet those pretty Johnny Carson monologue curtains are starting at $40,000 - $60,000

Estimated Value: $30,000 - $50,000

Auction 43 Press Release

If You Dare!

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Just an FYI: went on HMH on Thursday (12/09) and the knight next to the endless hallway was missing. I suppose they are refurbing him before the official downtime, since they only have about two weeks before re-opening in mid-January. The rest of the ride was fantastic (for those of us who adore HMH). Still smells like fresh gingerbread in the grand hall (in the past the aroma was gone by now) and the plusses to the cake are amazing (love the gingerbread zombie & the mini jack-o-lantern busts).
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM