Page 144 of 605 FirstFirst ... 4494119134141142143144145146147154169194244 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 9070

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

With regard to the Leota tombstone, just think what an anticlimax it is now. You've already had all these noisy antics and ghostly movements, and now you're supposed to calm down to the point that a subtle, silent movement on a tombstone is supposed to give you a start, give you a chill? make you think, "Did I really see that?"

They might as well remove it now; that effect in particular has been ruined beyond redemption.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

The more I look at it, the more I LOATHE this so-called "enhancement." Gawd, is it ever out-of-place. And don't get me wrong, the artistry of some of the sculpture is remarkable. But it just doesn't fit and it certainly doesn't enhance!

With the exception of the Imagineer epitaphs, these are Fantasyland/ToonTown features. This makes about as much sense as installing Nemo in Tomorrowland.

This SUCKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I do like those fish, they are very reminiscent of old nautical maps:

Attachment 10534

Here there be monsters.
    Those fish, minus the glaring eyes, would look nice somewhere around Paradise Pier in California Adventure.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

There is only one Saving Grace(y) - They put this abomination in at WDW, and didn't wreck the queue at Disneyland.

If there is a {$Deity}, they will come to their senses before trying this at Disneyland, and if they go forward it will be re-thought and toned down a ton.

(* Variable string {$Deity} is non-denominational, "Insert your preferred Deity-name here" - God, Buddha, Allah, Mo*****d, L. Ron Hubbard, Flying Spaghetti Monster, etc.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• is too darn hot.

Mohammad isn't a deity. He's a prophet.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Let's see, what did someone who had a thing or two to do with designing Disney parks have to say about making entertainment aimed only for children specifically:

“You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway.” - Walt Disney

• Grim Grinning Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    There is only one Saving Grace(y) - They put this abomination in at WDW, and didn't wreck the queue at Disneyland.

If there is a {$Deity}, they will come to their senses before trying this at Disneyland, and if they go forward it will be re-thought and toned down a ton.

(* Variable string {$Deity} is non-denominational, "Insert your preferred Deity-name here" - God, Buddha, Allah, Mo*****d, L. Ron Hubbard, Flying Spaghetti Monster, etc.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    Very true Bruce. Let them tinker and try the ol' hit or miss with all these enhancements before they do anything to our beloved and holy grounds.

A quick question if anyone knows (also if this a stupid question feel free to bust my chops about it =))
    The divisions of WDI/WED are different for each park, correct? As Bruce said above that if they did bring this to Anaheim it would be quite different. So we could be looking at two completely different enhanced/interactive queues if this is received well?

"I Want That Simple Life"

B.F.F.=Brian Fyfe Forever
    4-8-1983 to 4-28-2010

• Mr. Ghost

The whole layout seems haphazard, maybe it was just video editing. There will be people who will blindly defend this, no matter what.*

* When Constance debuted, I spoke my mind and said this was terrible, but everyone on that thread Blindly defended the change.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

They might start with the exact same directive from on high in Burbank, and the different Imagineering teams in Anaheim and Florida can come up with two totally different interpretations of the same missive.

And it's usually done far better in Anaheim, for some reason... Maybe it's the water. Or just that they "get" the atmosphere they are aiming for.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

As a WDW home park-er stuck in NYC, thank you for posting to this board and keeping everyone updated! Rant ahead:
    I'm nearly in tears over this nonsense that has taken over our Mansion. The new tributes are well done and just about the only thing I like about this queue. The captain's tomb makes no sense. Well, none of this makes any sense...but the captain's tomb makes less than sense, in my opinion. Are we seeing a ghost drown? Is this ghost creating bubbles? How? Plus the added idiocy of a water feature. I can't wait for this to break and never be fixed. All of the music making tombs just destroy the eerie soundscape that once set the stage for the Mansion. The well placed howl will now be drowned out by tourists banging on the musician's tomb. Great. I'm so very confused by the poetess tomb. The banter is ridiculous and I have no idea what the book sliding game (?) could possibly be. I'm hoping that the strange cartoony busts aren't a reproduction of the interactive game they tested out. This queue makes too much noise as it is. I don't want cartoony busts (especially those of children) chatting with me. I want to line up with nervous anticipation (and, even though I'm 22 years old, just a little bit of creeped out fear) and enjoy the Mansion. I don't want to be squirted by a tomb/Super Soaker. I don't to rhyme things with a ghost. I've seen little kids ask their parents if the Leota tombstone just moved. I've seen parents miss the little flicker of the eyelids and say, "No, sweetie. Definitely not." That's a moment where magic is made. Those moments won't happen anymore because of the sensory nightmare that is now the queue. Save these queues for Winnie the Pooh where kids need to be entertained. Let us have a queue that we can photograph and enjoy without drunken, theme-shattering sea shanties. /Rant.

[edit: I withdraw some of this post's argument below]

Let's talk about the Phantom Five (graveyard band) for a sec. You've got two guys in bandsman uniforms, circa, I dunno, 18th century or so. You've got others in there who appear to be dressed in medieval garb of some sort. They are certainly NOT all from the same time period historically: they've gathered into a band thanks to the freedom from the constraints of time and space that comes with being dead. A good example of ghosts from different ages co-mingling, and probably also "from creepy old crypts all over the world."

So how the hell did these guys from diverse origins in history and location come to be buried together in one crypt in the private family burial grounds of a New England mansion? Compared to that one, explaining the banshee heads is a piece of cake.

Again, we all understand that you don't need to ask questions like that in order to enjoy the ride, but it's never been the case that you couldn't ask questions like that in order to enjoy it.
    Last edited by HBG2; 03-15-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: false impression

• Minion

Because the tomb doesn't belong to the Phantom Five. Seeing as it says "His" music singular, it's still the Organist's tomb and he was proficient with multiple instruments.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

So he's buried in two different crypts?

On second thought, you've got a good point. There are inscriptions on both sides, and from the language it appears to be the tomb of some hitherto-unspecified musician and composer. But the instruments most prominently depicted on the river side plaque sure look like the graveyard band's instruments, so it's a confusing monument.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    So he's buried in two different crypts?

On second thought, you've got a good point. There are inscriptions on both sides, and from the language it appears to be the tomb of some hitherto-unspecified musician and composer. But the instruments most prominently depicted on the river side plaque sure look like the graveyard band's instruments, so it's a confusing monument.
    Indeed, very confusing... Why did they choose the organ as a tribute to Thurl Ravenscroft? He had nothing to do with the Ballroom or the organ. Is Thurl the "He" that they are referring to? If anything, there should have been a reference to Buddy Baker and/or Gaylord Carter on that tomb.

Is it just me, or does that crypt look a lot like the Leota souvenir cart? What, if anything, is on the fourth side? We only get to see three sides of it in the photos and video.

I'd love to see the animatronic Leota tombstone at Disneyland, California's Haunted Mansion. Since the Florida Imagineers have created a hodgepodge of noisy and confusing nonsense to upstage the wonder of this subtle and captivating effect, I suggest sending the medium rare's marker to where it will be appreciated.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM