Page 15 of 597 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718254065115515 ... LastLast

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    One other note about that Bride photo...notice on the piece of furniture, below the tapestry......I'd rather think that is a hatbox.
    It is.

• Who are you again?

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    Just thought I'd share this, found an incredible video of Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare at Tokyo Disneyland. Thank you very much to whoever made this video, it was very nice!

YouTube - ??????????? ??????????? 2009

And yes I know not everyone here likes HMH, but I still thought it'd be nice to share it.
    thanks for the video share, I am one of the few who love HMH and I've always wondered what HMHN looked like, now if only they could bring this to Florida......
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    the demon candle sconce would look right at home in the Museum of The Weird
    It would, and yet it's still got a different flavor. The MW artifacts are somehow very tangible. After all, you were supposed to wander among them. More than anything else, the MW reminds me of the Ripley's Believe it or Not! Museum in SF. Weird stuff inches away, under glass, but eminently touchable. Coats, on the other hand, tantalizes you with stuff that threatens to just disappear into thin air...or maybe not. You can't get a handle on his material. Dreamlike.

Quote Originally Posted by CaitlinMcFly View Post
    Waitwahuh? The remaining BHP in me just geeked out a little XD...and without too much more buildup, my photo. I've been really busy and I haven't had the time or energy to put it up til now. I wish I had framed it better, but considering I was just trying to do it before the next stretching room unloaded, it's not awful. Plus I got the nice lighting in--thank you Nikon D40!
    Very nice photo indeed. And extra points for the imaginative angle, which is not precisely like any other I've seen. I've waxed lyrical about that spot before, down around April's old corner, before you go around the bend (pun? or not? Whichever you wish). If you can evade the crowds and stand there alone...you can almost believe. Favorite spot in all of DL, I think. Looking forward to being there in June.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

I've waxed lyrical about that spot before, down around April's old corner, before you go around the bend (pun? or not? Whichever you wish). If you can evade the crowds and stand there alone...you can almost believe. Favorite spot in all of DL, I think.

This, times 2. Perfect blend of subtle location details, sound, atmosphere, and if you catch it when it is quiet and all the rest of the folks are loading into their doombuggies....nothing can compete with it. Pure and simple design perfection, nearly. It certainly doesn't feel like you are in a churro-hawking, crowded theme park.

• I'm a Lutheran

Your welcome, and it seems as if I am one of the only other few people who like HMH, lol! It is definitely one of my favorite rides, whether it is seasonal or not. HM and HMH would definitely be in my top two spots, the original HM being first.

Since I have some time to kill, I guess I'll share a story about the Haunted Mansion.

See I used to be terrified of HMH when I was little. At first I was cool with it (I rode it in 2001, the year it opened) since Nightmare was my favorite movie at the time. But something about riding it a second time (At night in the freezing rain) set something off in me. On the ride home I put my feet up onto the chair (Or seat, whatever you want to call it) because I was terrified that Scary Teddy (I called it "Batmouse" for the longest time) was going to come out from underneath me and pull me under to suck my blood and eat me. Yes I had a very vivid imagination at the time!

For the next four years I kept my eyes closed every time I went on HMH, just because of "Batmouse." My friends, parents, and grandparents would make fun of me because I'd bury my head in my mom or grandma's arms for the entire ride. The only time I'd open my eyes is when Oogie Boogie showed up at the end or during the grand hall and the attic where Batmouse was nowhere to be found. And then I'd have to close my eyes to avoid the gift cart laden with Batmouse dolls outside of the exit to go on with my day. I'd usually have to sleep on the floor in my parents' room too after a visit to Disneyland during the holidays so I would be able to sleep. I did this all the way up until the eighth grade. I couldn't even watch Nightmare without getting nervous...

I lost my fear of Batmouse thanks to a church youth retreat called the "LOST" retreat which took place at the Sheraton a few blocks down from Disneyland. It was lots of fun and we got to stay up real late and hangout and do workshops and a bunch of other cool stuff. And the best part about it was that we got to go to Disneyland (Not California Adventure which is where I wanted to go for some "odd" reason). Well I was with my mom and two other girls (They were good friends of mine, the other kids split up to go ride the thrill rides) and of course we wanted to ride the Haunted Mansion. And my god-sister who was with us wanted to ride it with me. So obviously I couldn't close my eyes in front of her without looking like an idiot. You have to understand that she is the kind of person who will make fun of you and dwell on something that you did for the rest of your life. So I left my eyes open and realized that it wasn't so scary after all. As a matter of fact I realized that my fear was actually really stupid. As a matter of fact the second that we got off I demanded that we go on it again. After all I hadn't seen the full attraction in nearly more than five years.

And from that point on HMH has become one of my favorite attractions. I for one believe that Nightmare and the Haunted Mansion are a perfect combo. One has that classic Disney feel while the other has that classic Tim Burton feel. Put them together and you have a great seasonal attraction...

But I still do get a little surprised whenever I see Batmouse...don't tell my mom...

Anyways here are some of the things that might have also contributed to my fears:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHsFx4sQ6HY]YouTube - Haunted Mansion Holiday 2001/2002 - Exit Music[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RRKYDG_umk&feature=related]YouTube - Haunted Mansion Holiday 2001/2002 - Hallway BGM[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmLIK5vszlc&feature=related]YouTube - Phantom Manor Music Box[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvg8KtCeaHI]YouTube - Haunted Mansion Holiday Dancers[/ame]
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Very nice photo indeed. And extra points for the imaginative angle, which is not precisely like any other I've seen. I've waxed lyrical about that spot before, down around April's old corner, before you go around the bend (pun? or not? Whichever you wish). If you can evade the crowds and stand there alone...you can almost believe. Favorite spot in all of DL, I think. Looking forward to being there in June.
    It's quite the nice spot when no one is around, my favorite place to sit--with my back wedged in that corner and looking down the empty hall, really truly seeing the forced perspective and hearing nothing but the thunder and the occasional distant talking of butlers and maids. The shot I wanted to get but couldn't due to lighting (and me not knowing how to alter the settings on the damned camera) was literally directly behind and above my head from where I was sitting--the seldom-viewed lights, the skulls carved into the door frames, and the one corner where you can get a good, close-up look at the real Victorian-era velvet wallpaper.
    dreams. come. true.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    Your welcome, and it seems as if I am one of the only other few people who like HMH, lol! It is definitely one of my favorite rides, whether it is seasonal or not. HM and HMH would definitely be in my top two spots, the original HM being first.
    I actually liked the original 2001 version, but once they changed the music from the delightfully creepy Gordon Goodwin score to the Elfman music, I no longer like it. The original score had an elegance about it that suited the Mansion. I think after nine seasons, it's time to retire it - or at least alternate it between DL and WDW so that every other year you get the original HM at the holidays.

• Yoiks!

Great story MEW!

The first time I rode the HM, I shook the entire time. I think I was 5 or so.
    I've only seen the HMH in Tokyo (Which is apparently much better).

A little trick to get over your fears is to experience it with someone who is even more afraid than you.

Great photos BHP er CMF! The sign of a great photographer is the willingness to get into strange positions to get the perfect shot.

• Minion

Check out THESE photos in another thread.

They show much more detail than I've ever been able to see in traditional, dark photos. After all these years, I had absolutely no idea that there was a staircase at the back end of "Limbo" (the load area)! It never shows up on traditional photos or videos. Nor did I know that the Doombuggies came down from the exit area. I always thought load and exit were on the same level, like at WDW, and the buggies just came around the wall from exit into load.

• I'm a Lutheran

Yeah I do admit that the 2001 version was the best so far, followed by the Oogie Boogie takeover being the second (In my opinion). There's nothing wrong with the Danny Elfman-score, it just doesn't really fit in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love listening to it, it's just a bit different. The 2001-2002 soundtrack was definitely the best, it had that eerie tone to it and actually made it seem as if you were traveling through a wrecked holiday. Now it goes by kind of fast and you really don't remember that much of what you just saw. In the original you could remember everything that just happened to you thanks to the dirge-like singing in the exit crypt. And don't even get me started on the music in the Grand Hall...

The thing about moving it to Florida is that they rejected it when Disney wanted to put it in. Apparently (I red this somewhere, I think from Jim Hill) the big suit at the Magic Kingdom used to work at the mansion and can't stand the HMH, so he said no. Tim Burton apparently said no as well, he felt as if Tokyo and California were enough. And the other big suits claimed that they could already see angry guests complaining at City Hall demanding to know why their favorite attraction is closed down for two months out of the year. So who knows if we will ever get HMH in Florida.

One of these days, just for the fun of it, I would like to recreate my Nightmare Before Christmas overlay for the Haunted Mansion in Florida. It took me many days to complete it, and it didn't really surface with the best reviews. I went way over the top with it. So maybe I'll work something out and share it on here, with the best HM fans on these boards.

Always happy to share a story Kreepy Karl!

Yeah the staircase at DL is one of my favorite mansion details, I love those pics!
    Last edited by MANEATINGWREATH; 05-18-2010 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Incomplete
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Who are you again?

heh, it seems that if your scared of something at first, after a few years, it can become your favorite thing

same thing happened to me, I went to WDW in 2000, and when my family went on the HM, I was scared since we got out of the stretching gallery, plus I was 5, so.........yea

but after a few years I stumbled onto a HM video on youtube, and since then the Haunted Mansion has become.....say, an obsession of me

coincedence? maybe
    Strange? yes
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

Speaking of HM photography, there's a curious dynamic at work with regard to this ride, by virtue of its subject matter. Grainy, blurry, murky photographs can perversely be among the best, insofar as they evoke a ghostly atmosphere. These "bad" photos of the graveyard band and the HHG's by charleym143 are among my favorites, because the figures look more like real ghosts.

These photos manage to successfully interpret their subjects. Regions B recently did a post at his blog featuring photos with so much motion blur that the subject matter is practically unidentifiable. Those pics are so "bad" that they cease to interpret their subjects at all. At that point they are relieved from their obligations. You could say they are fired on grounds of incompetence. Once they are rejected, however, some of those pix become things of beauty on their own terms. It's a strange thing. Only when they are released from their bondage to the photo subject do they blossom.

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjack View Post
    heh, it seems that if your scared of something at first, after a few years, it can become your favorite thing

same thing happened to me, I went to WDW in 2000, and when my family went on the HM, I was scared since we got out of the stretching gallery, plus I was 5, so.........yea

but after a few years I stumbled onto a HM video on youtube, and since then the Haunted Mansion has become.....say, an obsession of me

coincedence? maybe
    Strange? yes
    This is why spookhouses, horror comics, scary movies, etc., can hold their heads high (sometimes literally...ewww). They provide something society deems necessary: a safe place to confront and conquer your fear of the unknown and of death. You look back with fondness on some tacky old dark ride because it represents a point of victory, a rite of passage en route to adulthood. You were scared spitless and yet you went on the ride. *puffs nails, rubs on lapel*

• Who are you again?

yea, I WENT on the ride, but the entire time in the Doombuggie I was hiding behind my mom

I think I should of said that in my original post

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjack View Post
    yea, I WENT on the ride, but the entire time in the Doombuggie I was hiding behind my mom.

Oh, we didn't mean to frighten you...prematurely.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM