Page 16 of 586 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819264166116516 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

The real chills come later!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAjMa3lWJis]YouTube - Haunted Mansion attic pre-refurbishment, Old Bride and Pop-up Ghosts - Walt Disney World[/ame]

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I really liked the attic scene better back then. Thanks for linking that clip!

• Minion

Now - as they say - "look alive," and we'll continue our little tour - and let's all stay together, please.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Speaking of HM photography, there's a curious dynamic at work with regard to this ride, by virtue of its subject matter. Grainy, blurry, murky photographs can perversely be among the best, insofar as they evoke a ghostly atmosphere.
    Contributing to that then.

M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Who are you again?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post

Oh, we didn't mean to frighten you...prematurely.
    lol

the strange thing is, my memory of the stretching gallery (which set off this awesome chain of events) is very twisted than the actual room, in my memory the eye's of the portraits kept lowering until after the lights went out (and I screamed, of 'corpse') where the eye's themselves where off of the portraits entirly

I may be boring you with this, but now my tale is done
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• Mr. Ghost

Speaking of "spookhouses" ( oh noes). I cant't think a place that gets it more than the COD, what a perfect blend of lighting, sight and sound. Secondary would have been the attic, with the jumpers, but the graveyard gets points too. It shows it's fun to be scared, and in a controlled environment, you k now you are safe, but your mind is quick, just waiting for that next startle. But when did "spookhouse" become a dirty word, as though some rides are too good to be associated with, as HBG2 puts it "Rattletraps" The COD is the perfect homage to the old spookhouses with it's cacophany of howls and shrieks. Would it be the same without the sounds?
    and now to pose a question I've been dying to ask, could you imagine anyone else
    besides Paul Frees as the Ghost Host?
    I've been contemplating the likes of Paul Lynde or Mel Blanc.
    How about Don Knotts?

• Parking Lot > DCA

That old attic scene was IMO so much better. Oh how times change.

• I'm a Lutheran

The only part I don't miss about the old attic is the constant screeching of the raven.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    and now to pose a question I've been dying to ask, could you imagine anyone else
    besides Paul Frees as the Ghost Host?
    I've been contemplating the likes of Paul Lynde or Mel Blanc.
    How about Don Knotts?
    Pete Renoudet. For years, I always thought he was the Ghost Host, as up until I went to WDW in 1978, his was the only voice I knew as the Ghost Host. I was actually a little disappointed that it wasn't Pete's voice in the attraction - but I was even more disappointed that the Hatbox Ghost was nowhere to be seen. I was also disappointed that the facade wasn't the same as on the album cover.

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    The only part I don't miss about the old attic is the constant screeching of the raven.
    As far as I know, the raven is still there. Did they turn its volume down a bit, perhaps? I do recall reading somewhere that it had been moved slightly farther back due to 'guest abuse'.

• DL is my anti-drug.

This may have nothing to do with this thread but it has to do with THM so can I ask, do they still give out death certificates? and how do i go about getting one

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Pete Renoudet.
    Bullseye. You beat me to the punch. The echo effect is overdone on the "Story & Song" recording, of course, but yes indeed, ol' Pete gives good Ghost Host.

One of the fun things about the new-ish S & S CD is the fact that for much of the GH narration, Randy Thompson has separated the two tracks that together make the echo effect, so that you can turn off one side and hear Renoudet's GH without the echo.

It may be heresy, blasphemy, sacrilege, and not-nice-at-all, but in some ways I think Pete would have been a better pick for GH than Paul Frees, simply because Frees' voice has been so heavily used at DL and in media in general that it cannot help but sound a little familiar, whereas Pete would have given the HM a more unique voice. I say that even though Renoudet has done plenty of work for Disney too, but it seems to me his GH voice is unlike anything else he has done. It would be hard for anyone to guess it's the same voice as Henry in CBJ or "Father" in COP or the train announcer at the Main St. station, etc.

P.S. I hated Renoudet's version back when my S & S album was brand new, because it wasn't the "real" Ghost Host.
    Last edited by HBG2; 05-20-2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: fix error
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Who are you again?

Quote Originally Posted by bbks18 View Post
    This may have nothing to do with this thread but it has to do with THM so can I ask, do they still give out death certificates? and how do i go about getting one
    not sure about getting one at the parks themselves, but you can print one over at Doombuggies.com

'Haunted by Hatbox ghost', ah, me and my strange taste of humor
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• Lurker in the Shadows

P.S. I hated Renoudet's version back when my S & S album was brand new, because it wasn't the "real" Ghost Host.
    Heh, me too.

It made the whole record feel like it wasn't "official" to me when I was a kid. I loved it nevertheless, but I was always aware that I wasn't listening to the "real" ghost host.

• Minion

One of the fun things about the new-ish S & S CD is the fact that for much of the GH narration, Randy Thompson has separated the two tracks that together make the echo effect, so that you can turn off one side and hear Renoudet's GH without the echo.
    Randy Thornton had nothing to do with that. That is the way the original tape is recorded.

It would be hard for anyone to guess it's the same voice as Henry in CBJ or "Father" in COP or the train announcer at the Main St. station, etc.
    Pete Renoudet was not in Carousel of Progress. "Father" was played by Rex Allen, Andrew Duggan, and Jean Shepherd through the years, respectively.

Speaking of the LP having a different voice for the Ghost Host - I always wondered too just why they used a different scream after 'There's always MY way..." on it rather than the one heard on the attraction itself. (In its favor it was certainly a bit more masculine than the high-pitched scream supplied by Jimmy MacDonald.) For that matter, is this an example of something sound effects-wise that actually *was* created just for the LP ? And now that i think about it - isn't that MacDonald scream actually heard on the LP , but in a scene describing one ghost chasing after another that never occurs in the actual ride?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM