Page 161 of 602 FirstFirst ... 61111136151158159160161162163164171186211261 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 9017

• Forever dancing

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I'm on vacation but I still find time to chat about the HM. Amazing! (: It's very cool about Pete messaging some of you guys. I hope you can really show him our perspective on this queue. He seems nice and understanding so hopefully he can make the queue more appropriate for us but still fun for the other guests.

And It's weird that WDW HM has it's show building, well, showing...I always though that could be easily disguised.

Also something that has been bothering me now. Can someone tell me exactly what singers were changed in the graveyard. And after the line "Grim grinning ghosts come out to socializeeeee" they wait and yell the word SCREAM where the original singers would all laugh. Atleast I think that's what they say. It's quite annoying. I wish the original singers would come back.
    "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together." ~ Walt Disney

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    That grey building near the Haunted Mansion is the Show Building (WDW version at bottom of page).
    And as for the Hitch-hikers, they had "unnofficial surnames" on the ghost list site:
    *Ezra Dobbins
    *Phineas Queeg
    *Gus Gracey
    Now not all gravestones have to be for burials, sometimes the markers could be a cenotaph,a monument placed in memoriam.
    And the comics had Ezra Gasser and Phineas Q. Hackenbush. No surname for Gus though.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Waltzing Ghost, the WDW graveyard ghost vocals that were changed were pretty much everyone once you pass the singing busts; re: the English couple, hearse quartet, opera singers, and the decapitated knight/executioner/prisoner trio. Oddly, the mummy/old man duo still has the original DL audio tracks though. And as far as I know, it's only the female half of the English couple who is heard saying anything that sounds like "scream" at the end of GGG - although it's actually "scream or sugar" I believe she's saying (with a much louder emphasis on the "scream" part) in lieu of the "oh yes they do" in the original version. I think the rest still laugh in some way at the end of their versions of the song.

• Forever dancing

Well right out of the attic I could hear "scream" so she either says it very very loudly or more of them say it. I don't recall any laughing at the end but the 'scream' was so loud I guess I couldn't hear (; Thanks for the info though. I really would like to know why they took out the originals. Especially Candy, but left the mumbling mummy and old man. Not that I mind those but for them to be the only originals... I mean there's just no enhancing the original voices and you'd have to be stupid to take any of them out really. Maybe when MG13 gets together with Pete they could talk about that
    Last edited by Waltzing Ghost; 03-22-2011 at 06:01 AM.
    "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together." ~ Walt Disney

It's fairly obvious that the new imagineers have no clue what the hell they are doing. The original designers of the mansion were true artists, hired by Walt himself, with a background of animation, storytelling, drawing, painting, etc. The new imagineers are "wanna-be artists" that care more about merchandising and product than true artistry. Some of the things they have been doing lately make absolutely no sense at all. Amateurish high school art projects, at best. Shame on them for not having a clue and shame on Disney for not caring to maintain the level of artistry set by Walt Disney and his original imagineers.

• whatever

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Disney has applied for a patent for a system that allows individual doombuggies to be taken offline without even stopping the ride. It's quite interesting, actually, with lots of diagrams:

Omnimover Modification Patent
    Do you know if Disney is planning on implementing this in HM at DL? I'm thinking this may just be for The Little Mermaid Attraction in DCA

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by CaitlinMcFly View Post
    So... being positive about the things I dislike but have no direct control over is defending mediocrity? Gee, all this time I thought I was just having a good outlook on life and applying it to all aspects of it. Who knew how wrong I was?
    Glad you're still there, Cait, and sorry this has been distressing for you. And no one is questioning your mansionite zeal.

Major new addition to the HM? Of course we'll be talking about it for page after page. On a practical level, unlike you, I want the fuss to be loud, the stink to be great. I'm trying to save Anaheim. The only real hope of keeping some version of this thing away is if they know darn well they'll be holy hell to pay if they do it. They expected that there would be a little dust-up when they did this, some grumbles from the purists. But I don't think they anticipated this kind of blowback. I know you hate it, I know, but if there is a bitter torrent of negativity directed at this thing, no acceptance of it whatsoever among a large chunk of the fan base, they may not dare try it again. Or if they do, they may modify and tone it down considerably, make some conceptual concessions in the artwork, etc.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNNYBIX38 View Post
    It's fairly obvious that the new imagineers have no clue what the hell they are doing. The original designers of the mansion were true artists, hired by Walt himself, with a background of animation, storytelling, drawing, painting, etc. The new imagineers are "wanna-be artists" that care more about merchandising and product than true artistry. Some of the things they have been doing lately make absolutely no sense at all. Amateurish high school art projects, at best. Shame on them for not having a clue and shame on Disney for not caring to maintain the level of artistry set by Walt Disney and his original imagineers.
    This is hardly just a merchandising thing. This is just part of Disney's obsession with interactivity as of late. It worked really well over at Winnie the Pooh and Space Mountain, but the Mansion on the other hand...
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    This is hardly just a merchandising thing. This is just part of Disney's obsession with interactivity
    That is exactly correct. I've heard about this obsession for quite some time, from more than one voice on the inside.

• Forever dancing

That is exactly correct. I've heard about this obsession for quite some time, from more than one voice on the inside.
    Where did this obsession even start? Does Disney think that the new generation would hate Disney without bells and whistles? They feel the need to compete with other theme parks and they must think interactivity is the answer to all. I know this generation is all virtual and electronic but some of us still are longing for the old days of simplicity, appreciation and beauty. Less is more and I wish modern Disney could see the truth in that.

They also need to realize they don't need to change everything that isn't modern. They seem to think "If it sounds too 60's we should get rid of it" I really don't think it matters in the least. Stuff like that is timeless and shouldn't be changed without a valid reason or atleast an explanation.

/end mini rant (:

To put it bluntly, they believe they will lose a whole generation of paying customers if they don't make everything interactive.

• Forever dancing

To put it bluntly, they believe they will lose a whole generation of paying customers if they don't make everything interactive.
    I don't understand their thinking. They would rather spend more money than they need to, making things interactive just to have the same amount of paying customers and hear us complain because they fear loosing new generations. But they could easily keep up the classics and add new things with the same feel so they can get the new generations that will have an appreciation for the old feel all the while making purists happy...and the parks would probably have a much more mature feel to them.

They are NOT going to lose anyone. It's ridiculous. The Magic Kingdom is still the number one theme park in the world and will always be that way. Kids will love it no matter what, no need to tamper with it

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Somewhere along the line most management at Disney decided their market was largely either children for most content, or teens for thrill rides, or the "retro" fans for limited merchandise. It's marketed to different segments, and mostly children in terms of new park elements. It stopped being about things the whole family can enjoy or age groups can appreciate together, and this is the logical progression of that school of thought.
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 03-22-2011 at 10:39 AM.

The process is not hard to reconstruct. Management finds that kids and young teens like interactive stuff. Mansion doesn't have anything like that. They order WDI to come up with a fully-themed, interactive queue. WDI does the best they can within that straitjacket. Because those guys are talented artisans, the finished product is professional and has an attractive sheen. And then this happens: those who think it's cheesy or inappropriate just keep looking and looking at it until it stops looking cheesy or inappropriate. They try to like it, try to prove to themselves that they haven't harmed an attraction they genuinely love. "Well, you know, it isn't THAT bad if you look at it. Yeah, it's... really it's in the spirit of the attraction, you know? It's light-hearted, fun, entertaining (which is the "spirit" of virtually anything in the parks, even the trash cans). They genuinely convince themselves that it's okay, that they haven't wrecked the attraction, so that they can live with themselves.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM