Page 17 of 592 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920274267117517 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 8867
  1. #241

    • Disney Theme Parks fan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattle,Wa
    Posts
    32

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Here's a video of the a man laughing at Constance before the ride goes the graveyard.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txwuP9beU-E"]YouTube- Disneyland - The Haunted Mansion - Day 3 (Selection 3)[/ame]

  2. #242

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle River, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,402

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HMfanatic View Post
    Speaking of the LP having a different voice for the Ghost Host - I always wondered too just why they used a different scream after 'There's always MY way..." on it rather than the one heard on the attraction itself. (In its favor it was certainly a bit more masculine than the high-pitched scream supplied by Jimmy MacDonald.) For that matter, is this an example of something sound effects-wise that actually *was* created just for the LP ? And now that i think about it - isn't that MacDonald scream actually heard on the LP , but in a scene describing one ghost chasing after another that never occurs in the actual ride?
    That scream of "Help" came directly from the sound effects library, and it was used on the 1964 "Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of The Haunted House" Lp. It is heard at the end of "The Unsafe Bridge" track when the bridge lets go.

    The HM McDonald-attributed scream is indeed heard in the CoD segment of the S & S Lp where the ghosts chase each other down the hallway. No clue why, unless the masculine scream of "Help" was originally slated for the Stretch Room, and then swapped out at the last minute. Remember, the McDonald scream also once appeared as one of the Graveyard pop-ups (the first one, I believe), so it was used twice originally.

    It is entirely possible that the way many of the sounds/effects were used on the Lp may have been the way X Atencio had initially planned to use them in the attraction, as he was the Writer and Director for both the attraction and the Lp. He also directed the recording sessions.

  3. #243

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle River, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,402

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostToast View Post
    Here's a video of the a man laughing at Constance before the ride goes the graveyard.

    YouTube- Disneyland - The Haunted Mansion - Day 3 (Selection 3)
    I hear no man - or anyone else for that matter - laughing at Constance. The only laughter I hear in the Attic scene is Constance herself.

  4. #244

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Randy Thornton had nothing to do with that. That is the way the original tape is recorded.

    Pete Renoudet was not in Carousel of Progress. "Father" was played by Rex Allen, Andrew Duggan, and Jean Shepherd through the years, respectively.
    Oops, you're right. I thought he was one of the Fathers, but nope.

    As for the S&S, the two tracks of the GH narration that combined make the echo effect may be separated on the original tape, but it must have been Thornton (or whoever supervised the re-mastering) who decided to reproduce it that way on the CD. On the original vinyl LP, there is no stereo separation of the GH vocal tracks. I had to be sure, so I double-checked on my old phonograph with headphones. Most of that album as originally issued was mono, with stereo used sparingly and rather crudely.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  5. #245

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle River, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,402

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Oops, you're right. I thought he was one of the Fathers, but nope.

    As for the S&S, the two tracks of the GH narration that combined make the echo effect may be separated on the original tape, but it must have been Thornton (or whoever supervised the re-mastering) who decided to reproduce it that way on the CD. On the original vinyl LP, there is no stereo separation of the GH vocal tracks. I had to be sure, so I double-checked on my old phonograph with headphones. Most of that album as originally issued was mono, with stereo used sparingly and rather crudely.
    That is channel crosstalk, caused by the phono cartridge. Perfectly normal, as it is picking up two separate channels with one device (a single stylus). The amount of crosstalk varies from one cartridge to another. Also, the cutting head used to make the record master can also introduce some crosstalk during the cutting of the groove. Again, it is one device trying to deal with two separate channels at the same time. It is simply an artifact of the record-making process, introduced after the master tape. It's also possible there is some issue with your equipment, or you may actually have a monaural copy.

    At several points in the original tape, the Ghost Host is heard in mono only. The stereo elements were spliced in after the initial master tape was made, which leads me to believe that the stereo edition was actually an afterthought. The Ghost Host doesn't go stereo until he says "Kindly step this way. There's no turning back now." Throughout the recording, he alternates between stereo and mono.

    On my copies of the Lp, where the GH is heard in stereo, it is two separate tracks. The stereo separation is clearly present on the stereo edition of the record. The first instance of stereo separation is right at the start, about 15 seconds in when a wind and cat sound effect is heard fading in over the Foyer organ only on the left channel, then later moves to center. On the CD version, the entire opening segment has been mixed to mono. It stays in mono until about 2:48, when Mike says "There. Come on, don't be afraid! I'll light a match." But on the record it goes from stereo to mono several times before that. The real issue here is that on the original tape, there are many dropouts, causing center to shift or "waffle" back and forth between channels. Rather than adjust the gain on each channel line-by-line to keep the balance consistent, they simply mixed it to mono. It was done several times on the CD. Another notable instance is during the Ballroom segment. On the record, we have the Ballroom guests on the left channel, and the Organ on the right. On the CD, this segment is now mono. But hey, for $9, what do you expect?

    I know each and every stereo element on that Lp. I've been listening to it constantly since I got my copy in 1974. I just recently spent three months restoring it myself, and used that same technique to stabilize the sound on the mono portions only. I did take the time to go through and adjust the gain on each channel to rebalance the waffling stereo portions.

    Bottom line: Randy Thornton did not separate the Ghost Host tracks. They have always been that way with the minor exception of the repair of one phrase that inexplicably switches to mono in mid-sentence: "...delightfully, dreary place." on the original. I did my repair of that phrase the same way as he did.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 05-19-2010 at 03:25 PM.

  6. #246

    • We Go On.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,793

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostToast View Post
    Here's a video of the a man laughing at Constance before the ride goes the graveyard.

    YouTube- Disneyland - The Haunted Mansion - Day 3 (Selection 3)
    I'm not hearing it.

  7. #247

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    That is channel crosstalk, caused by the phono cartridge. Perfectly normal, as it is picking up two separate channels with one device (a single stylus). The amount of crosstalk varies from one cartridge to another. Also, the cutting head used to make the record master can also introduce some crosstalk during the cutting of the groove. Again, it is one device trying to deal with two separate channels at the same time. It is simply an artifact of the record-making process, introduced after the master tape. It's also possible there is some issue with your equipment, or you may actually have a monaural copy.

    At several points in the original tape, the Ghost Host is heard in mono only. The stereo elements were spliced in after the initial master tape was made, which leads me to believe that the stereo edition was actually an afterthought. The Ghost Host doesn't go stereo until he says "Kindly step this way. There's no turning back now." Throughout the recording, he alternates between stereo and mono.

    On my copies of the Lp, where the GH is heard in stereo, it is two separate tracks. The stereo separation is clearly present on the stereo edition of the record. The first instance of stereo separation is right at the start, about 15 seconds in when a wind and cat sound effect is heard fading in over the Foyer organ only on the left channel, then later moves to center. On the CD version, the entire opening segment has been mixed to mono. It stays in mono until about 2:48, when Mike says "There. Come on, don't be afraid! I'll light a match." But on the record it goes from stereo to mono several times before that. The real issue here is that on the original tape, there are many dropouts, causing center to shift or "waffle" back and forth between channels. Rather than adjust the gain on each channel line-by-line to keep the balance consistent, they simply mixed it to mono. It was done several times on the CD. Another notable instance is during the Ballroom segment. On the record, we have the Ballroom guests on the left channel, and the Organ on the right. On the CD, this segment is now mono. But hey, for $9, what do you expect?

    I know each and every stereo element on that Lp. I've been listening to it constantly since I got my copy in 1974. I just recently spent three months restoring it myself, and used that same technique to stabilize the sound on the mono portions only. I did take the time to go through and adjust the gain on each channel to rebalance the waffling stereo portions.

    Bottom line: Randy Thornton did not separate the Ghost Host tracks. They have always been that way with the minor exception of the repair of one phrase that inexplicably switches to mono in mid-sentence: "...delightfully, dreary place." on the original. I did my repair of that phrase the same way as he did.
    Okay, this is quite interesting. I bought my LP sometime before December 1969. It's a first pressing (purple label). It's billed on the cover as "stereophonic." I just went and listened to it again on a decent phonograph with headphones, and here's what's there.

    Side One is 100% mono. Not a drop of stereo anywhere.

    Side Two has a lot of crudely edited stereo. Here are the highlights:
    • The organ dirge jumps to one channel with "We're about to participate..."
    • That same channel carries Madame Leota, the tambourine, and the snare drum
    • The other channel carries the remaining sound effects and the ghost moans and wails
    • During "Come now..." we go mono
    • The ballroom organ pops to a single channel during "A party was taking place." It all goes mono again (very crudely indeed) just before the attic scene begins
    • Heartbeat in one channel
    • Graveyard jumps to stereo at the first "Grim grinning ghosts..." by the busts. Decent stereo mix, with drums on one side, opera singers on the other, etc. etc.
    • Main musical track goes mono after the busts finish their vocals.
    • Musical blast during "cadaverous drummer..." and pop-up ghost vocalizations are single channel
    • When Mike and Karen come back in, all is mono, right to the end of the record


    Nowhere anywhere is the GH narration split into separate tracks for the duel elements. This is not an equipment issue; I've played this baby on numerous phonographs over the years, and the stereo elements are cleanly separated and crystal clear.

    I wonder how many different mixes of this album have been released?
    Last edited by HBG2; 05-19-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: typos
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  8. #248

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Too Far From Disney
    Posts
    3,497

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    I hear it, but it does sound it is Constance. The Laugh is a very deep laugh. Almost like they made her do severals of takes before they got the right one.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

  9. #249

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle River, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,402

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Okay, this is quite interesting. I bought my LP sometime before December 1969. It's a first pressing (purple label). It's billed on the cover as "stereophonic." I just went and listened to it again on a decent phonograph with headphones, and here's what's there.

    Side One is 100% mono. Not a drop of stereo anywhere.

    Side Two has a lot of crudely edited stereo.

    [snip]

    I wonder how many different mixes of this album have been released?
    Wow, that is very curious. Sounds like someone at the pressing plant used the wrong plate for Side One on your copy. Have you checked the matrix numbers etched in the lead-out groove area? Mine, which is also an original 1969 pressing, is marked STER-3947 1A and STER-3947 1B. A monaural pressing would be simply ST-3947 XX (probably 1A and 1B or something similar) on both sides. Either yours will have ST-3947 on Side One, or the matrix was mislabeled as STER-3947. Either way, it's a factory mistake, and you have quite a rarity on your hands!

    (On a side note, mid-70s through the end of production pressings of Disneyland/Vista records also give a date that the matrix/pressing plate was made, but not in every instance. Often, later editions also have an image which looks like a British flag just to the right of the matrix number and date.)

  10. #250

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Juniper Hills, CA
    Posts
    421

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    The thread is getting buried; just wanted to be sure no one missed the amazing HM pics that I did:

    Haunted Mansion Lumos!

    Ok, I didn't do them, but I wish I did! Very impressive and maybe this fine sir would take requests from us on some things we would really like to see!

  11. #251

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Wow, that is very curious. Sounds like someone at the pressing plant used the wrong plate for Side One on your copy. Have you checked the matrix numbers etched in the lead-out groove area? Mine, which is also an original 1969 pressing, is marked STER-3947 1A and STER-3947 1B. A monaural pressing would be simply ST-3947 XX (probably 1A and 1B or something similar) on both sides. Either yours will have ST-3947 on Side One, or the matrix was mislabeled as STER-3947. Either way, it's a factory mistake, and you have quite a rarity on your hands!

    (On a side note, mid-70s through the end of production pressings of Disneyland/Vista records also give a date that the matrix/pressing plate was made, but not in every instance. Often, later editions also have an image which looks like a British flag just to the right of the matrix number and date.)
    Mine is etched on side one ST - 3947 A and on side two STER - 3947 B. Hey, if you're right, I wonder what this factory freak is worth to a knowledgeable collector? Anyway, I'll continue this line of conversation via email, since I don't suppose too many Threadsters are dying to know about matrix etchings on S & S LPs. (These days, I wonder how many people even know what you mean when you say, "LP." From common parlance to near-obsolescence in less than a generation...Lordy, I'm feeling antique.)

    Oh, and yes, skoolpsyk, you're right. Orbitalpunk should bring it to Thread 7 and get hisself a nice big ration of adulation.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  12. #252

    • Perhaps he knows too much
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    157

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Anyway, I'll continue this line of conversation via email, since I don't suppose too many Threadsters are dying to know about matrix etchings on S & S LPs.
    On the contrary, it's all kind of oddly fascinating.

  13. #253

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by anazgnos View Post
    On the contrary, it's all kind of oddly fascinating.
    Now that's hardcore.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  14. #254

    • now that i see you ♥
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,620
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    We're talking about the Matrix?! It's all an illusion, man, free your mind!

    ....I am SO sorry, but it just called to me. Speaking of me being a total nerd, look what I found! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnFekqVATLU&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - A ride-through of NIPPER's de_haunts (a "The Haunted Mansion" Counter-Strike: Source map)[/ame]
    dreams. come. true.

  15. #255

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Welp, for you hardcore, yes, we've pretty much determined that my copy of S&S is a factory freak. I don't know how rare it is, or if it's something known, but I'm running it past someone who likely would know, if anyone does.

    If I sell it for a million bucks, I want y'all to know that money won't change your sweet, lovable old HBG2 one tiny bit.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5
    By CaitlinMcFly in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2077
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 02:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2011
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
  3. Replies: 2544
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •