Page 19 of 616 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122294469119519 ... LastLast

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Yow, those are nice, RB. Putting the new toy to good use, for sure.

A Haunted Mansion in Tomorrowland is conceivable, but you would have to treat it with the freedom that they did in Paris, or even Hong Kong. IMO, you could do it by building it around an alien abduction theme. It could be a fairly normal looking, modern home, but with weird goings-on and typical "gray" type aliens gradually manifesting in unexpected ways. Bedroom scene with extremely harsh white light beam coming into the window. UFOs. There goes Fred, levitating out the window. We'd probably have to dispense with the rectal probes and such. I never saw "Alien Encounter" so I don't know if they made any use of this sort of thing, but it's turned into a futuristic horror movie plot that is now familiar throughout the popular culture. If there are intimations that the aliens are from the future in some way (?), you've got a direct tie-in to Tomorrowland, but you probably don't need it. The land has never been strictly future-oriented but also space-, techno-, and exploration-oriented.

All together now, "There's a great, big, terrible tomorrow, looming at the end of every day..."

As for the load fixture, evmo, I think you're describing the newel post at the base of the down staircase, the one the doombuggies come down and pass by before you board. Glad you brought it up, because it used to be mounted with a black metal urn identical to one found in the Sťance circle. This would be yet another unnoticed and undiscussed point of architectural continuity in the HM. I think the last time we emphasized that theme around here was when I was calling attention to the lion-head corbels in the Conservatory, which are similar to the ones in the ballroom.

The up staircase has similar newel posts, but they're mounted with candelabrum.

The down staircase newel post no longer has the black urn, however. It is now mounted with...well, I don't really know what that thing is.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Just another type of urn.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDante View Post
    Just in case you don't check it yourselves on a regular basis, you may want to look at the "Ask the Editor" section in today's MiceChat Roundup at Miceage. Al Lutz provides an interesting insight into what happened (and may still happen) with a certain intermittently headless friend of ours.
    Wow, thanks for the heads-up. This site is so huge that it's easy to miss even the obvious stuff.

Of course I'm thrilled that the project is still alive. I knew that the cancellation was extremely last minute, but I didn't know why.

This is doubly good news in my book. I really hated the cheesy exploitation of the HBG for the 40th. He's not a cartoon character, and that sort of crassly commercial set-up for his reappearance was totally wrong.

Now it sounds like he could come back any old time that funds permit. If Tony's sensibilities are as fine-tuned for this particular character as I hope they are, I would hope that the HBG would reappear without any announcement at all. That's the HM way. One day he just shows up. Unexpected. Out of the blue. Shock the riders. Let word of it leak out, spread by word of mouth and modem to modem. Let it exist at first as an unconfirmed rumor on purpose.

And not to blog pimp, but coincidentally, I've put up the lengthy HBG post that was of course inevitable there.

• A Malice in Wonderland...

^
    Agreed. I love it when I'm riding an attraction and *poof*, hey that wasn't there last time.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Great pictures, Regions! I hope someday I'm able to visit the parks often enough that lugging a tripod along with me wouldn't seem like a bad idea.

• Here to change the world

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    And not to blog pimp, but coincidentally, I've put up the lengthy HBG post that was of course inevitable there.
    Awesome post!! Very cool you were one of the few to see ol' HBG in the flesh! Well, maybe not flesh per-se....

And I'll blog pimp for you. Here's a direct link to the awesome Hatbox Ghost write up!
    http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.b...box-ghost.html

• Minion

The down staircase newel post no longer has the black urn, however. It is now mounted with...well, I don't really know what that thing is.

That's now part of the ride control system that keeps everyone, Cast and Guests, much safer. As part of a safety drive to bring "Operator Managed Motion" (OMM) to all attractions, even Ominmovers, a light that had the ability to flash and send signals to the operators on the load belt was needed. I won't go into the specifics of the light, but it helps communicate status levels to allow multiple CM's throughout the attraction at one time to place the Ominmover in motion. (And it's much safer than the basic 1969 system it replaced)

The light for the OMM system needed to be straight ahead from where the load CM's usually look (at oncoming Guests), and it needed to be noticeable to the CM's when it was flashing. You could have just put a red lightbulb on that column, and many lesser theme parks would have done that. But instead, WDI came in and designed this glass urn that has the lightbulb hidden inside, and the urn fixture subtly but noticeably glows when the light is turned on. When the signal is needed by the Load CM's, it is there and it is very noticeable to them. It's been there for over a year.

It appears that WDI's work was a great success, becasue even die hard Mansion fans haven't noticed the flashing light or the OMM system. All they noticed was that the flat black urn that used to be there was replaced by this different glass covered urn. That means both WDI and Attractions CM's have done their job.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDante View Post
    Just in case you don't check it yourselves on a regular basis, you may want to look at the "Ask the Editor" section in today's MiceChat Roundup at Miceage. Al Lutz provides an interesting insight into what happened (and may still happen) with a certain intermittently headless friend of ours.
    yeah, I caught that. Of course there is no way to verify any of that and it just seems that Al is never wrong...
    Bitter much? yep. Got my hopes up one too many times...

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    That's now part of the ride control system that keeps everyone, Cast and Guests, much safer. As part of a safety drive to bring "Operator Managed Motion" (OMM) to all attractions, even Ominmovers, a light that had the ability to flash and send signals to the operators on the load belt was needed. I won't go into the specifics of the light, but it helps communicate status levels to allow multiple CM's throughout the attraction at one time to place the Ominmover in motion. (And it's much safer than the basic 1969 system it replaced)

The light for the OMM system needed to be straight ahead from where the load CM's usually look (at oncoming Guests), and it needed to be noticeable to the CM's when it was flashing. You could have just put a red lightbulb on that column, and many lesser theme parks would have done that. But instead, WDI came in and designed this glass urn that has the lightbulb hidden inside, and the urn fixture subtly but noticeably glows when the light is turned on. When the signal is needed by the Load CM's, it is there and it is very noticeable to them. It's been there for over a year.

It appears that WDI's work was a great success, becasue even die hard Mansion fans haven't noticed the flashing light or the OMM system. All they noticed was that the flat black urn that used to be there was replaced by this different glass covered urn. That means both WDI and Attractions CM's have done their job.
    Very interesting post. Thank you very much for that inside scoop. It's always nice to see examples of WDI going the extra mile when they don't really "need" to.

Quote Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
    yeah, I caught that. Of course there is no way to verify any of that and it just seems that Al is never wrong...
    Bitter much? yep. Got my hopes up one too many times...
    If it's any help, Al's report jibes with the much sketchier report I got.

If you blinked today, then you missed the floating Leota. A few more kinks, then she'll be full time.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post

Um... Ok... I have no clue what you just wrote.

What is the purpose of the light? Just what is it telling CMs to do? And what was the 1969 system it replaced?

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Now it sounds like he could come back any old time that funds permit. If Tony's sensibilities are as fine-tuned for this particular character as I hope they are, I would hope that the HBG would reappear without any announcement at all. That's the HM way. One day he just shows up. Unexpected. Out of the blue. Shock the riders. Let word of it leak out, spread by word of mouth and modem to modem. Let it exist at first as an unconfirmed rumor on purpose.
    They should do what they did with the new attic. While he's not a whole bunch of items, if you cover him up there will be quite a lot of talk. Build up the tension of what is under there.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    They should do what they did with the new attic. While he's not a whole bunch of items, if you cover him up there will be quite a lot of talk. Build up the tension of what is under there.
    Except that this time everyone will know what's under there. They should do the actual installation as quickly as possible. No need for weeks of purple sheets, charismatic as they may be.

I'm developing a bad habit of fiddling with and updating my blog posts. I really should leave them alone. But anyway, there's some good new stuff on the HBG post since yesterday, in case anyone's interested.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    If you blinked today, then you missed the floating Leota. A few more kinks, then she'll be full time.
    I saw her the first ride-through this AM. Some downtime later, and next ride, back on her stand.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM