Page 194 of 599 FirstFirst ... 94144169184191192193194195196197204219244294 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 8979

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

That set's great, I love the pictures of the abandoned theaters. Art Nouveau can be extremely spooky. The the photos by that Carey person bother me, though--just because you know how to blur something in Photoshop doesn't mean you're a great photographer. *continues grumbling about artists and laziness*
    dreams. come. true.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by anazgnos View Post
    I thought those clothes looked very 90s, I couldn't believe it was a 70s shot.

As far as evaluating the greenness/brownness of the plaques based on photos like this, there are so many variables that can introduce color flucutuations, from the film stock to the cast of the light on the day, to however it was digitized (probably not done with archival quality in mind)...you could probably look at five different amateur shots from the same year and reach different conclusions based on each of them.
    That's true, but there is a strong contrast between the light lettering and the darker field. After the 89-90 polishing, it was all a nice golden hue, with little contrast. So it's definitely darkening up from that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    What's that flat area off to the side of the Mansion toward the future Splash Mountain side. Is that the exit crypt? It seems like its footprint is roughly the same size as the Mansion itself, which surprises me. In the parks, it feels like Splash Mountain is closer to the Mansion than that large flat expanse would seem to allow.
    Yeah, I think it's the exit crypt. With the emergency exit on that side, it really goes over quite a ways. Here are a couple more relevant shots.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    There's a nice set of pix of abandoned buildings HERE. One of the best is a picture taken inside an abandoned theater. It reminds me a lot of a Ken Anderson sketch.
    OOohhh..... I'll have to check that out! Thank you!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

The abandoned buildings photos are creepy. Thanks for posting the link!

• Forever dancing

Hello everyone! I'm back from a trip to WDW! I finally got to see the HHGs but more about that in a second.

We went at night so no pics this time but the Mansion was lovely. The outside benches are still gone. A few times we went were forced to enter the new queue because they had the other line chained off. I have to idea why because once we entered we saw other people going in so it's was strange. The new queue was really boring since everyone really didn't care anymore. Everything was wet and some kid infront of me (while touching the organ) said "Ew it's wet, that's not cool" I'm with the kid. It's was gross. Anyway there is a flower on MG's stone which was nice. And they still need to move Campbell's stone, it's in such an akward place. Plus when it's dark they do a really bad lighting job on the new Ken, Paul, Blaine, and Rolly tributes.

Ok so once into the Mansion it was wonderful. The stretching rooms were nice and quiet. And once we even rode with barely anyone infront or in back of us! During the course of the ride they had many breakdowns which I love (for staying on the ride longer) but it happened too often which got a bit annoying. The raven in back in the graveyard so that was nice.

Right below the brick arm guy is a wobby plate or something piled with plaster and bricks. Does anyone know if that has always been there? I guess I never noticed it before.

Ok now on to the HHGs. I was actually disapointed. They looked very blury to me and not exciting. My mom and I got Gus who just pulled on our heads and that was it. It was so quick if you look away you miss it. And when we went on again...guess what...it was broken!! So they had to back to the flying ghosts screen they had during the construction. And they were all cut up since they weren't prepared for it. And we also saw the computer codes and computer screen so it was really really bad. I didn't get to see the new HHgs anymore that day.

That's what happens with new tech like that, it's gonna break down alot and to me it didn't even look that good. But what can ya do...I had fun anyway (:
    "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together." ~ Walt Disney

• I'm a Lutheran

/\ That's too bad. Maybe next time the HHG will work. I hope they work on my next visit to WDW which should be in...I don't know...one hundred years?
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Perhaps he knows too much

And when we went on again...guess what...it was broken!! So they had to back to the flying ghosts screen they had during the construction.
    In all the hubbub (apologies to hubbub) over the initial, temporary animated HHG effect and the lack of quality thereof, I don't know if we really stopped to appreciate the fact that it was, in a way, a return of the original long forgotten Haunted Mansion effect.

In 40 years someone will pop into an HM thread trying to recall whether there had ever been a temporary 'floating HHG' effect before the current animated version...

Quote Originally Posted by anazgnos View Post
    In all the hubbub (apologies to hubbub) over the initial, temporary animated HHG effect and the lack of quality thereof, I don't know if we really stopped to appreciate the fact that it was, in a way, a return of the original long forgotten Haunted Mansion effect.

In 40 years someone will pop into an HM thread trying to recall whether there had ever been a temporary 'floating HHG' effect before the current animated version...
    Well, sorta. The original effect (which was actually a back-up, like the current temporary effect), looked something like THIS. Since describing the effect at my blog and my experience of seeing it opening week, another credible-sounding eyewitness stepped forward and left a comment on the post. Finally!

• We Go On.

Terrible background music. Unfortunately it complements the video rather well. Don't get me wrong, the effect is cool, but it is so...in-your-face. "Look at this amazing technology!" Yeah, well look at that sterile animation. Usually I'm not this nitpicky, but this and the new queue area I feel aren't even taking the design personality of the original attraction into account.

I like Constance. She is not in-your-face. In fact, the effect is a very Haunted Mansion native trick. It's used in Madame Leota, the singing busts, and Little Leota. Just like Little or Madame Leota, Constance rotates through several simple, effective lines. She doesn't try to sit you down and tell you her story. You can tell that Constance's team did their homework as far as figuring out what it takes to make a successful gag and what would look right in the Haunted Mansion.

Pete Carsillo either didn't do his homework or he really just doesn't care.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    I like Constance. She is not in-your-face. In fact, the effect is a very Haunted Mansion native trick. It's used in Madame Leota, the singing busts, and Little Leota. Just like Little or Madame Leota, Constance rotates through several simple, effective lines. She doesn't try to sit you down and tell you her story. You can tell that Constance's team did their homework as far as figuring out what it takes to make a successful gag and what would look right in the Haunted Mansion.
    Flat Connie has never looked right. Period. That's been the chief complaint from most with the gag. It doesn't work at all! It's painfully obvious that she's a mere video projection on a flat object. There is no definition to the face like the other projection-based ghosts. It also doesn't help that she has no character like the others do. Just a video of a soccer mom on a flat mannequin in a wedding dress. No menacing voice characterization, no facial characterization, in fact no discernible characterization of any kind. That is why it never worked. Leota, on the other hand (or head?) is a carefully crafted character, and works beautifully.

The old bride with glowing eyes, no face, and a visible heartbeat was ten times more effective.

• We Go On.

^I agree, Connie's flatness is an issue that must be addressed, especially since it's such a simple fix.

But that wasn't my point, was it? If my post were comparing technology, Pete Carsillo wins. Not the point. I was talking about concept and adherence to the design of the rest of the Mansion. I also wasn't comparing Constance to Beating Heart Bride. That's another debate for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Flat Connie has never looked right. Period. That's been the chief complaint from most with the gag. It doesn't work at all! It's painfully obvious that she's a mere video projection on a flat object. There is no definition to the face like the other projection-based ghosts. It also doesn't help that she has no character like the others do. Just a video of a soccer mom on a flat mannequin in a wedding dress. No menacing voice characterization, no facial characterization, in fact no discernible characterization of any kind. That is why it never worked. Leota, on the other hand (or head?) is a carefully crafted character, and works beautifully.

The old bride with glowing eyes, no face, and a visible heartbeat was ten times more effective.
    Trent's basic point, however, is sound. Technically, Connie could be made to work with a little tweaking. It is essentially the same effect as the one that works just fine elsewhere in the HM. I, too, much prefer Beating Heart, but I can't deny that the Connie team played by the rules for the most part. All you know about her story is what you glean from the stuff laying around in the attic, which is how it would be in the real world. The wedding cake is an error. Why is it intact? And the tone she strikes is foreign to the themes sounded elsewhere in the HM. But even though I dislike that, in the end it just makes her an addition. It doesn't make her a violation, per se. Pepe Le Queue, on the other hand, is definitely a violation, a reinvention of the whole show's basic concept.

• We Go On.

^Nailed my point there, HBG2. WDI did create a new story for Constance, but they presented it as a traditional gag.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Technically, Connie could be made to work with a little tweaking. It is essentially the same effect as the one that works just fine elsewhere in the HM.
    Pretty much what I said. I just gave the reasons why she doesn't work in her current incarnation. If they give her face some dimension, and added some character, she would work just fine. Can't understand why they haven't fixed her after four years, but we got McMansionland instead.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM