Page 199 of 721 FirstFirst ... 99149174189196197198199200201202209224249299699 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,985 of 10808

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    But aside from that, you're right, there's something funny-looking about him overall that misses the mark.
    He doesn't look quite as sinister as the Blaine Gibson original.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

It is a real tossup, trying to decide which is greater: their arrogance or their incompetence. Here's a quick and dirty study of the new Ezra.

The AA figure is modeled directly on the original. Somewhere I read that they sent for and got the original head mold. Anyway, except for the hair, I think the new AA Ezra looks very good.

But look at the temporary CG version. Since he was temporary, people tended to give him a pass. But take a look. He simply does not look the same, period. Now look at the hands. The Blaine Gibson original gave the threesome outsized thumbs in order to slam their hitchhikerliness in your face immediately. Caricature for a practical purpose. The new AA keeps the original hands. But the CG version just throws this out the window without a thought. The big problem, of course, is that the new HHG effect in the mirror appears to use this horrible substitute as their animation model.

Did they change his look on purpose? Decided they would "improve" on the original? Or were the artists AND THE ART DIRECTOR really that incompetent? A child can see that the two do not look the same, and the most bone-headed Imagineer should have been able to figure out that the full-sized hands with a big thumb was not just a random artistic choice but served an important purpose in immediately establishing the character ("hitchhiker!").

I guess I left out a third realistic option. Incompetent, arrogant, or just plain stupid.

With regret, I must hereby withdraw my former praise for the new HHG mirror gag.

The more I look at these new changes at WDW, the more disgusted I become.

'Scuse me, while I bite down on that hard rubber ball again.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Imagineering's just really bad at translating animatronic characters into CG for some reason. Just look at Figment in the current ride. For christ's sake, just do what Peter Jackson does and directly scan the damn sculpts into the computer or something.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

In case anyone wonders whether hands make any difference, here's a revealing photomatt pic of a WDW Ezra from July '09.

Incidentally, DL's originals have no hands. They keep them down. WDW and Tokyo decided to give the mirror HHGs hands, and as you can see, the sculptors were fully aware that Ezra has large hands.

• Minion

I think the mirror animation models actually are slightly improved from the temporary CG models they had during installation, though it's really hard to say. The fluid motion kinda makes it hard to screencap from a video, but I swear when Ezra's doing face switching, they seem to be more on model.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

I would think they could quite easily update the CG character models to look more realistic (like Davy Jones level) and accurate to the animatronics. They oughta hire ILM or Weta. The image looks like it needs to be sharper as well.

The flat, TV screen look is my main concern with the new effect. Some of the people who have seen the effect in person have mentioned that this is in fact an issue.

• Minion

Watching the blog video again and they definitely aren't the same as the temporary models.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

But they still don't look all that great, so it perplexes me that they say they want the new animatronic figures to look as good as the CG ghosts.

Not to make excuses for CG Ezra's hands, but there were continuity errors with the physical figures as well.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 04-27-2011 at 11:10 AM.

• I'm a Lutheran

The new AA Ezra is partially-bald though. His hair is receding in the back and on the sides. Looking at the image of the original model HHG in the mirror, it makes me realize that even then Ezra really had some differences between the main AA and his mirror counterparts.

I haven't been on the WDW HM in person, but are the rest of the Graveyard ghosts green? If so then why are the new HHG blue?
    "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Ezra looks off, and I'm sure that they can address that (can, not will). His hands are clearly too small and his head just isn't right. I agree with FigmentJedi in saying they should have scanned the model's head into the computer. Gus and Phineas, however, are spectacular. Their 3 dimensionality is convincing, being that you don't look at buggies any further away than the one next to you.

I urge you, HBG2, not to totally withdrawal your praise on the effect just yet.

If I remember correctly, the WDW graveyard ghosts are a mix of green, purple, and blue.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

No, no purple. Just green and blue.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    I urge you, HBG2, not to totally withdrawal your praise on the effect just yet.
    I'll wait to see if they fix Ezra first. Until they do, I can't give it my okeedoke (as if that matters to anyone).

The original Ezra has a distinct, well-known body type. The CG Ezra (temp or new mirror) is different. They've taken a leering giraffe and made him an impish sparrow.

Old Ezra lopes.
    New Ezra flits.

Know wudda mean?

• Minion

CG Ezra has bushy eyebrows, an elongated head, and extended chin. New AA Ezra has somewhat long, flowing hair, and lips! Somewhat full lips at that.

The original had no hair, and thin, rather minimal lips that were hardly noticeable. The same exact face as my avatar.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM