Page 2 of 591 FirstFirst 12345122752102502 ... LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Meeting up?

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HMfanatic View Post
    GRD - in reference to the Gallery's whispering gargoyles, was it my imagination or can these guys also be heard going ''Shhhh..." when we first enter the room and just before the GH actually begins speaking? I know on occasion you hear the butler/maid or other guests shushing people but this time it sounded a bit more as though it was something recorded to my ears.
    I think its more of a HISS in the east coast HM.May be a SHH.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Going to wander off the beaten track now a bit, but there is no doubt the HM can cast a rather long shadow, or that it's archetypes are echoed even unknowingly at times in the "haunted house" genre...

The bride with candle image is no clincher, on it's own, especially as she is still among the mortal realm, nor are the watching eyes in the doorway (however familiar they may look), but together, who knows? The image is rather a typical one...the living, lovely maiden who was stalked by death!....which had echoes in the earliest Haunted Mansion treatments, and was later more fully utilized in Phantom Manor.

Wikipedia has this to say about Secrets of Sinister House: Secrets of Sinister House was a horror-suspense anthology comic book series published by DC Comics from 1972–1974, a companion to Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion.

Definitely after the opening of Disneyland's HM, then, so might be more than coincidence, though I think it likely just a random confluence of disparate, unrelated elements. Just for fun, here is the cover of the mentioned Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion:

• Mr. Ghost

That bird sculpture on the switchback queue, near the pet cemetery looked like a falcon or hawk to me when I visited. Now here's whats interesting, but probably not related, The falcon or hawk is used in ancient Egyptian mythology as a guide or transport to take souls to the afterlife. I doubt it was put there to represent Horus, maybe it was just a good visual.

• is too darn hot.

Ahoy threadsters. Just making my mark. I hope I can go on June 25th.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

7 threads, how long have I been gone from here? I remember when thread 2 had just started.

It seems that I'm back after a year or so. Hopefully I can catch up.

Maybe this ghost will leave me alone now.

• Inhospitable about happy

Well, T7 is off to a rip-roarin' start. So many things to respond to already! In no particular order...

First, I love the Fastpass and Garden shots. The FP area may look even better on camera than in the flesh, but it seems to have a quiet charm about it.

Second, that is indeed a falcon and not a hawk up on that ball. Distinct genera, they are. Believe it or not, I wrote many pages in my doctoral dissertation arguing that a certain ancient Ethiopic word in the Book of Enoch does not mean "vulture," as it is universally translated, but renders a Greek term which translates an Aramaic word (which is cognate to a Hebrew and Ugaritic root) which probably means "falcon." A major pillar of the argument rests on the fact that among large birds of prey, only the falcon has wings that taper to a point. All the others have broad, fan-like structures on the ends of their wings. I just knew you would want to know that.

Third, that comic art is certainly intriguing, but I agree that it falls short of proof of interdependence. I will repeat something I've said before: a bride holding a candle has no basis in any traditional wedding rite, so even standing alone, "bride + candle" is part of the constellation of significant motifs coincidentally shared by this comic and the HM (if mere coincidence is all it is).

Fourth, I'm glad the exit crypt is getting some love. I've been intending to do a post on it, and this looks like a good opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post

*(on a side note, that photo always makes me wish perhaps the Mansion entrance was more like this...a bit more ominous yet simple. But of course, shall not complain of the current setup...it works very well indeed)
    It is low key, that's for sure. I think the park designers try to walk a tightrope when it comes to exits for major attractions. On the one hand, if you make it too obscure, you create headaches for inexperienced park guests when they say "I'll meet you when you get off the ride" with the expectation that it will be an obvious rendezvous point. On the other hand, you don't want neon lights all over the exit, because then you practically have to assign guards to keep naughty little boys from trying to sneak into the exit to see what they can see.

Look how low-key and off the beaten track the DL POTC exit is.

You'll notice that there's nothing at the HM exit that tells you that's what it is. Even the turnstiles are around the corner a bit.

For awhile, though, they were closer to the neon sign approach. I don't know exactly when it went up or came down, but an illuminated Exit sign was there in the late 1990's and early 2000's.

I'm glad they took it down. Looks better without it. Of course, removing a light makes things darker, so maybe that's why in 2007 they added...

But you know what I find most interesting about that sign? It shows that Rolly's wallpaper demons were recognizable as icons of the HM already in the '90s. So what? Well, that was before HM tributes on the Web had created the HM fan community out of separated individuals who happened to like the HM but had no real knowledge of each other. In other words, this sign dates from a time before everyone was sharing artwork and everyone had this memorized:

I mean, that pattern is now everywhere and is used constantly. For many it's as familiar as the HH freakin' Gs, and things have gotten almost to the point of oversaturation, IMO. But before the Internet got us all hyper-familiar with it, did it have this kind of mojo? Yes! This defunct sign provides valuable evidence that the Rolly demons were already considered iconic before the Web made them ultra-familiar.

And...just as a fun reminder of what was there originally...

Last edited by HBG2; 05-04-2010 at 05:25 PM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• We Go On.

^Regarding the last picture, I am now very dioriented.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    And...just as a fun reminder of what was there originally...

Was this from before the attraction opened?

• =)

They really did an excellent job with the exit. For years, I couldn't remember what it looked like...it really annoyed me! It's so unobtrusive but thematically correct that you never even think about it.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    7 threads, how long have I been gone from here? I remember when thread 2 had just started.

It seems that I'm back after a year or so. Hopefully I can catch up.
    Loupo! Welcome back, and yes, you got some readin' to do.

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    ^Regarding the last picture, I am now very dioriented.
    Well, that's better than being disoriented, I imagine.

Speaking of pre-opening photos, that new one (from the end of the last Thread) with its view of the southern part of the lot has got me intrigued.

Where this is today...

...there was an enclosed area during construction. The new photo shows that that area was still enclosed at least as late as 1964, two years after construction on the exterior was completed. You can clearly see the enclosure in aerial shots from 1962:

I wonder what its function was? Perhaps a place to dump dirt on this side of the tracks during construction?
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Excellent post, HGB2, as always. You are quite right about how low-key-and well themed the HM exit crypt really is.,...even Pirates, which is constructed very subtly, has a big sign currently identifying it (a necessity for wheelchair parties, I'd wager).

Speaking of the bride and candle motif, and not taking this as proof of anything, but Mr. Tim Burton's film The Corpse Bride does feature a candle lighting ceremony as part of the overall structure of the rehearsal (which Christopher Lee's vicar makes them keep repeating, over, and over, and over since the Johnny Depp puppet can't get it right...). Is this a embellishment for the film, then (dramatic license) or was such a common element of Victorian era/British wedding union ceremonies? A quick internet search brings up the following info:

"The Unity Candle: one of the most common ceremonies. The bride and groom each take a lit candle and simultaneously light a third larger "unity candle." They may blow out their individual lights, or leave them lit, symbolizing that they have not lost their individuality in their unity."
    http://weddings.about.com/cs/style/a/unityceremony.htm

So perhaps the attic bride had a reason to hold a still-lit candle, besides emphasizing the lost/vulnerable look she had going for many years...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Updated last post with further info gained from browsing the webbernets

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Updated last post with further info gained from browsing the webbernets
    Yeah I was going to say that it was a common ritual in many weddings to light that candle with 2 smaller ones. I filmed many a wedding in my day. LOL

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Rode Mansion today! I stared at the bullet hole, and as we went by the spiderweb I noticed that they did not match up. HOWEVER! If you keep your eye on it as the buggy starts to turn, and imagine that the person who fired the gun was keeping it fairly low so as to hide it from the buggies around it, and the shot was at the last second before you turned.....That seems like a lot of specifics, but that's the logical way someone would have fired it. Perhaps working up the nerve, not wanting to make the person in the next buggy think that the gun was aimed at them?
    dreams. come. true.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM