Page 202 of 584 FirstFirst ... 102152177192199200201202203204205212227252302 ... LastLast
Results 3,016 to 3,030 of 8751

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

The Murphy movie and the SLG comics are just alternate continuities anyways. Mansion's got so many universes now, it's kind of like Marvel, DC or even Godzilla (he's got about 12 alternate timelines), but confined to a supernatural house.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Haunted Mansion quick glimpse from 1996. Besides the pop-up heads and old style bride, I kind of miss that funeral wreath as well...anyone else wish they'd bring it back?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post

Haunted Mansion quick glimpse from 1996. Besides the pop-up heads and old style bride, I kind of miss that funeral wreath as well...anyone else wish they'd bring it back?
    No. The wreath – like the hearse – were never supposed to be there in the first place. From all outward appearances, it's just supposed to be a lovely old New Orleans Mansion...

...which just happens to be haunted.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    SIDETRACK:
    Anyone else ever consider that the Gracey of Master Gracey could be a first name?

You'd think that if Gracey was a surname, it would be on other tombstones in the family plot.

There are a few definite surnames in the mansion, but Gracey isn't one of them.
    The most common that we know of are Dread and Pock.

WDW of course has that sign in Frontierland for Gastley Mansion.

I don't want to start any silly fanfic rumors, but...
    Gracey Gastley, perhaps? Gracey West (same epitaph, remember)?
    This may have already been discussed here, but that sign used to say "Gracey Mansion." Don't know exactly when it was changed to "Gastley," but it was likely done by whoever wanted to rid the narrative of the mansion belonging to Gracey. Unless Gastley is some character yet to come, I don't see how Gastley makes any more sense than Gracey. At least Gracey references a real part of the mansion.
    Ludwig von Baroketch

Kapellmeister, Gracey Estate

• Inhospitable about happy

That guy has a BUNCH of HM videos up, going back to 1990. There are a few gems in there, like a 1990 glimpse of the old bride...

...and a NEW DISCOVERY! It seems there was once a berm gravestone with "Good Friend Borden, Now You've Crossed the River Jordan" on it. Yet another WDW tribute stone slightly renamed. Never heard of it before now. Not only that, but the video made for a really, really good 3D of it.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

This may have already been discussed here, but that sign used to say "Gracey Mansion." Don't know exactly when it was changed to "Gastley," but it was likely done by whoever wanted to rid the narrative of the mansion belonging to Gracey
    Any proof?

I can't find anything online that would confirm that.

If a HM fan just glanced at the sign without looking close enough they'd probably just assume it said Gracey.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 04-29-2011 at 06:08 PM.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Looking at this video makes me realize how much I miss the old bride. Were it absolutely necessary to "update" and "enhance" the attic, I wish they had expanded around her, instead of shelving her for the Connie scenario that just doesn't belong. The old bride was much more mysterious and creepy, without being in-your-face psychotic.

A couple more items from that set of new HM videos from the '90s.

In this one you can see Little Leota in her "Rapunzel" days.

YouTube - Disneyland-Haunted Mansion. 1995.

And in the realm of hypertrivia, thanks to these videos, one can say with virtual certainty that the "...is it your imagination? Hmmm? And consider..." addition happened with the 1995 rehab, as suspected. Before that, the Hmmm was never used at Anaheim.

That video gave me an idea.
    What if, for the changing portraits, they used a combination of the lightning flicker and gradual morph effect? With each clap of thunder, the portraits could flash to the "after" stage and then slowly morph back. That way we could once again have April/December and the panther lady.

• Mr. Ghost

I just realized last night that the gallery of changing portraits uses the biggest haunted house cliche: "It was a dark and stormy night ", and I dont think that the new portraits would work with slow morphing. Since they appear to be just three pictures, maybe two, and I don't remember wher I read it; but the lightning was supposed to reveal the "real" portrait as opposed to the one that's "normal"

It wouldn't use the same technology.

I used to think that the Ghost Host's body was supposed to be still literally swinging from the rafters, never to be given a burial.

Chef Mayhem interprets the scene as the Ghost Host giving you a supernatural glimpse into the past, which is my current take on it as well.

My analysis of the Ghost Host's hanging:

The man who would become the Ghost Host was the only living person in the mansion when he hanged himself in the cupola. He either lived alone... or murdered anyone else in the house before committing suicide. Remember, his portrait in WDW's Corridor of Doors depicts his shadow menacingly raising the hatchet.

His corpse likely dangled from the rafters for years, probably either because no one entered/would enter the house or the people that did met an unfortunate end.
    At WDW, the mansion was supposedly built on "sacred indian burial ground" (according to the Liberty Belle riverboat narration). Sounds potentially dangerous.

By the time his body was finally discovered, it had become a skeleton and his clothes had become tattered. He might have even dropped on the person who found his corpse. Death by falling skeleton, perhaps?

The mansion at some point received renovations. The room in which he was found hanging was turned into the portrait gallery you see today, including a ceiling that now separates the cupola from the rest of the room.

Most of us are aware that the "hatchet man" is the Ghost Host. But for those who needed any more convincing...

More reasons why the Ghost Host is NOT Master Gracey:

Master Gracey was "laid to rest."
    That doesn't bring to mind someone who hanged himself and whose skeletal corpse shattered after dropping from the ceiling years later.

Master Gracey told his servants and/or family not to mourn for him, likely while lying in his deathbed. ("No mourning please, at his request.")
    The Ghost Host, on the other hand, died violently and probably alone. It's likely that no one knew he was dead, if anyone in town knew him at all. If someone else was living there when he killed himself, why would they leave his body to hang and decompose? Unless Constance was living there -- she'd probably get a kick out of it. She's the kind of person who keeps heads as souvenirs.

The final stage of the Aging Man portrait (believed to be Master Gracey) depicts a very bald skull with a bit of hair in the back.
    The Ghost Host's hanging corpse (as seen in photographs) has a pretty full head of hair in comparison, with several stringy locks dangling in the front.
    Though he has more hair, the Ghost Host's corpse is actually further along in decomposition than the skeleton in the "Gracey" portrait (who still has eyeballs).

More Gracey gripes and questions raised:

What's with Master Gracey always being a sea captain in fanon? The Aging Man doesn't look like a sea captain. I mean, he could be...but he'd probably rather be at the salon or something.

Was Gracey the last person who died? In the old queue at WDW, there was always a fresh mound of dirt at his tombstone (and a rose).

It's commonly believed that Constance is the most recent death - but where was she buried? Somewhere out back? A completely different location away from the mansion?

Speaking of burials, what did they do with the Ghost Host's remains? Was he ever identified?
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 04-30-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Ghost Host ("hatchet man") portrait interpretations/theories:

a. The portrait represents the character as a ghost, having severed the metaphorical rope that tied him to his dead physical form hanging from the rafters.

b. The portrait represents the character in life. He would often engage in autoerotic asphyxiation by hanging himself and cutting himself down before it could kill him. This eventually backfired, causing accidental suicide.
    (I kinda doubt Marc Davis was thinking this when he drew the character, but you have to admit it makes sense.)
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 04-30-2011 at 01:40 AM.

I used to think that the Ghost Host's body was supposed to be still literally swinging from the rafters, never to be given a burial.

Chef Mayhem interprets the scene as the Ghost Host giving you a supernatural glimpse into the past, which is my current take on it as well.

My analysis of the Ghost Host's hanging:

The man who would become the Ghost Host was the only living person in the mansion when he hanged himself in the cupola. He either lived alone... or murdered anyone else in the house before committing suicide. Remember, his portrait in WDW's Corridor of Doors depicts his shadow menacingly raising the hatchet.

His corpse likely dangled from the rafters for years, probably either because no one entered/would enter the house or the people that did met an unfortunate end.
    At WDW, the mansion was supposedly built on "sacred indian burial ground" (according to the Liberty Belle riverboat narration). Sounds potentially dangerous.

By the time his body was finally discovered, it had become a skeleton and his clothes had become tattered. He might have even dropped on the person who found his corpse. Death by falling skeleton, perhaps?

The mansion at some point received renovations. The room in which he was found hanging was turned into the portrait gallery you see today, including a ceiling that now separates the cupola from the rest of the room.

Most of us are aware that the "hatchet man" is the Ghost Host. But for those who needed any more convincing...

More reasons why the Ghost Host is NOT Master Gracey:

Master Gracey was "laid to rest."
    That doesn't bring to mind someone who hanged himself and whose skeletal corpse shattered after dropping from the ceiling years later.

Master Gracey told his servants and/or family not to mourn for him, likely while lying in his deathbed. ("No mourning please, at his request.")
    The Ghost Host, on the other hand, died violently and probably alone. It's likely that no one knew he was dead, if anyone in town knew him at all. If someone else was living there when he killed himself, why would they leave his body to hang and decompose? Unless Constance was living there -- she'd probably get a kick out of it. She's the kind of person who keeps heads as souvenirs.

The final stage of the Aging Man portrait (believed to be Master Gracey) depicts a very bald skull with a bit of hair in the back.
    The Ghost Host's hanging corpse (as seen in photographs) has a pretty full head of hair in comparison, with several stringy locks dangling in the front.
    Though he has more hair, the Ghost Host's corpse is actually further along in decomposition than the skeleton in the "Gracey" portrait (who still has eyeballs).

More Gracey gripes and questions raised:

What's with Master Gracey always being a sea captain in fanon? The Aging Man doesn't look like a sea captain. I mean, he could be...but he'd probably rather be at the salon or something.

Was Gracey the last person who died? In the old queue at WDW, there was always a fresh mound of dirt at his tombstone (and a rose).

It's commonly believed that Constance is the most recent death - but where was she buried? Somewhere out back? A completely different location away from the mansion?

Speaking of burials, what did they do with the Ghost Host's remains? Was he ever identified?
    Sounds very plausible. I can accept that theory. As for the GH's remains (if the hanging corpse is indeed a historical mirage), he could be buried anywhere, since we don't know his name. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Phineas Pock. Not only is there reportedly a blueprint of an unused gravestone declaring him the lord and master of the place, but among the original eight stones in the original family plot, this stone alone was not a tribute of any kind. Of course, nothing says the GH was the master of the house, but it's a plausible hypothesis.

See Peter? You CAN have discussions like this one with the pre-2011 Mansions and not talk gibberish. Things hang together, as in a well-crafted movie about the real world. With your WDW additions, however, all of this suddenly crashes to a halt. We no likey.

Any proof?

I can't find anything online that would confirm that.

If a HM fan just glanced at the sign without looking close enough they'd probably just assume it said Gracey.

I cannot find any proof as far as pictures, either, but I give my word (for what it's worth), from having worked in Ad-Lib attractions from 2002-2006, including many parade audience control shifts that required us to congregate around that sign at the end of each parade, it did say "Gracey" and not "Ghastley." I think the burden is higher to figure out who "Ghastley" is than to make a logical argument against Gracey being the master. Whoever was responsible for creating that sign perhaps did not have the blessing from the mansion deity who determines the master of the mansion. After all, Gracey was originally the master on the 2007 refurb sign before it was fixed.
    Ludwig von Baroketch

Kapellmeister, Gracey Estate

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM