Page 204 of 591 FirstFirst ... 104154179194201202203204205206207214229254304 ... LastLast
Results 3,046 to 3,060 of 8862

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Additional evidence (sort of) for Ghost Host as butler theory:

The green and purple of the Hatchet Man's outfit.

The Cast Members also wear green and purple.

X. Atencio's hanging man also wears green and purple, and looks like he could be a butler.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    If...
    the Ghost Host is buried under any of the tombstones at WDW,
    and he was never "master of the house,"
    then Beauregard would fit the criteria.

Of course, he could have been buried out back in the public cemetery.
    Or his remains could have never been identified.
    Let us not forget that there are also tombstones for "Ezra" and "Gus" in this new cemetery.
    I would just ignore all the new tombstones, they are just sloppy tributes.

Tombstones for Ezra and Gus don't strike me as far-fetched.
    They could have been good friends of the mansion's residents or residents themselves.
    The hitchhiking is just in that one scene at the end, when they're ghosts.
    They weren't necessarily random, unconnected-to-the-mansion hitchhikers in life.
    Like the birthday ghost in life probably didn't blow out cake candles or celebrate birthdays 24/7.

• I'm a Lutheran

My assumption right now is that the Ghost Host was a butler who hung himself in the rafters for some reason. Since he was the butler he knows his way around the house, hence why he is the Mansion's host.

In my Mansion fan fiction (Forgive me for writing it, lol) the Ghost Host's name is Beauregard and was the Gracey Family's faithful butler who suffered from a horrible fear of death after witnessing a gruesome murder as a child. He outlived the entire family and was the last living soul in the Mansion. Being comfortable around him, the 998 ghosts would often materialize around him, beckoning for him to join them on the other side. Beauregard refused every offer they made. The ghosts offered to assist him in suicide but he would always say no, simply continuing his daily chores of taking care of the Mansion and tending to its residents (A rather hard job due to the amount of residents).

Reaching his eighties, he had become very good friends with several ghosts who simply couldn't wait for him to die so he could join their jamboree. So they did the logical thing to do: Persuade him into suicide by means of excessive haunting. Their attempts succeeded and Beauregard hung himself from the Mansion's rafters due to fear-caused insanity.

That's only part one of the story. How he got his ax is part two which I have yet to write.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

In my Mansion fan fiction (Forgive me for writing it, lol)
    We forgive you - just don't go around telling everyone it's the "real" story!

• Banned User

Tombstones for Ezra and Gus don't strike me as far-fetched.
    They could have been good friends of the mansion's residents or residents themselves.
    The hitchhiking is just in that one scene at the end, when they're ghosts.
    They weren't necessarily random, unconnected-to-the-mansion hitchhikers in life.
    Like the birthday ghost in life probably didn't blow out cake candles or celebrate birthdays 24/7.
    The queue cemetery is supposed to be a Family plot, not just a random jumble of ghosts you will encounter.
    And we've already discussed that the events in the mansion are not supposed to be going on 24/7 but just once.

We forgive you - just don't go around telling everyone it's the "real" story!
    I'm always up for reading a good fan fic/ghost story. But I agree with SmellyOrangutan.
    Last edited by MasterGracey13; 05-01-2011 at 04:19 PM.

The queue cemetery is supposed to be a Family plot, not just a random jumble of ghosts you will encounter.
    There are also associates and good friends of the family buried there.
    Who's to say Ezra and Gus weren't?
    Some of the singing busts are uncles, cousins, etc. so they at least definitely aren't random.

And we've already discussed that the events in the mansion are not supposed to be going on 24/7 but just once.

I'm talking about who Ezra, Gus, etc. were as living people.
    Nothing says that they were known to be hitchhikers when they were alive.
    They're just hitchhiking as ghosts in that one scene at the end, in a spoof of the phantom hitchhiker urban legends.

They're not ghosts of hitchhikers.
    They're hitchhiking ghosts. There is a difference.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 05-01-2011 at 04:33 PM.

• Member of Baxter's Army

It would be nice if we had proof of that Phineas Pock tombstone blueprint.

Other Ghost Host suspects:
    Bartholomew Gore
    He now has a tombstone at WDW. He hanged himself in some versions of Ken Anderson's concepts. I don't think the Ghost Host was a pirate though.
    Beauregard
    The butler/tour guide of Ken Anderson's haunted house. He also now has a WDW tombstone.
    Mr. Meaker
    We first heard of this guy in D23 Magazine. He hanged himself after accidentally killing his pet cat with his bed canopy death machine. He previously murdered five spouses for wealth, just like Constance.
    Someone we've never heard of
    Could even be some guy with the Gastley surname.

Jason Surrell shoots down the idea of Ghost Host as master of the house in the second edition of his book.

The Cast Member butler outfits do have some similarities with the Hatchet Man's clothing.
    I would take those as little tributes not to be taken that seriously.

I would take those as little tributes not to be taken that seriously.
    WDI put them there. Like it or not, they're now part of the HM. I can't help but consider them.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Hey, I just noticed that the wall grate (at right) looks like a spooky face. Roland Crump design?

• Banned User

There are also associates and good friends of the family buried there.
    Who's to say Ezra and Gus weren't?
    Some of the singing busts are uncles, cousins, etc. so they at least definitely aren't random.
    I'm to say that they weren't, being that Gus is from England in, what I assume was, the middle ages. Not to mention that he probably died in captivity. Ezra on the other hand, could be. Their tombstones are also ridiculous because of their lack of surname.
    I'll give you the busts, since they do have family titles.

Again, I suggest that you do not take those tombstones seriously. If you do, just because "Imagineers put them there" you will have to start thinking of the HM as a jumbled, fictional, cartoon environment that is not supposed to exist in the real world.

I'm talking about who Ezra, Gus, etc. were as living people.
    Nothing says that they were known to be hitchhikers when they were alive.
    They're just hitchhiking as ghosts in that one scene at the end, in a spoof of the phantom hitchhiker urban legends.

They're not ghosts of hitchhikers.
    They're hitchhiking ghosts. There is a difference.
    Sorry, I take what I said back. I misinterpreted this part of your last post.
    I understand that they are not ghosts of Hitchhikers (Gus, again, is an obvious example of this since he is seen in the graveyard trying to make an escape from the executioner before hitching a ride)
    Last edited by MasterGracey13; 05-01-2011 at 05:19 PM.

I'm to say that they weren't being that Gus is from England in, what I assume was, the middle ages.
    Candy Candido's voice of Gus definitely has an American accent.

He's not trying to escape from the executioner - they're singing a duet.

American prisons had chain gangs in the 1800s.
    He looks like he could be from the era of the executioner and knight, but he doesn't have to be.

Before Marc Davis made him a hitchhiking ghost, he's seen in concept art next to other 1800s prison type characters (the warden, the chicken-footed person with the bomb, etc.)

He's probably just good pals with the executioner as a ghost.

• Banned User

Ok, you have me pinned in a corner. I didn't realize that we pinpointed whos voice is whos.
    But, isn't an Executioner, a executed knight, and a jailer together seem a bit curious? Wouldn't it be most likely that they all had their quibbles with each other in life and after death, realizing that their mere frets meant nothing in the long run, become buddies. Meaning that he would be from England? I dont Know. I'm tired and have a cold.

HBG2, feel like interjecting?
    Last edited by MasterGracey13; 05-01-2011 at 05:47 PM.

• Inhospitable about happy

WDI put them there. Like it or not, they're now part of the HM. I can't help but consider them.
    This is bound to become an issue, so it's good to deal with it now rather than later.

The HBG2 Doctrine.

1. WHEREAS Pepe Le Queue (hereafter "PLQ") is "canon," like it or not, because it has the authority of WDI behind it,

2. AND WHEREAS PLQ is the product of Imagineers who do NOT expect you to incorporate anything into anything, logically,

3. AND WHEREAS the contents of PLQ are evidently intended as stand-alone gags, only loosely connected with existing Mansionalia,

BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED that we, the undercybersigned, understand "taking PLQ seriously as canon" to mean, "Don't bother trying to tie its contents into the larger whole via rational analysis. Nothing is PLQ can be used to prove or disprove anything anywhere beyond the borders of PLQ." Furthermore, such extensions of PLQ into the interior of the HM as may be found (for example, Maude's portrait) should also be ignored in any such discussions, being manifestly the product of the same WDI mindset, which considers such analysis invalid.

It may be noted and acknowledged that it is an awkward fact that the old tombstones are swallowed up in PLQ, and it may be questioned whether they can still be referenced in the old way, making surgical excisions from PLQ as it were, based strictly on the knowledge of their prior existence.

BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED that the old tombstones may still be referenced in the old way, despite the fact that they are now in the belly of the beast.

It may be further noted and acknowledged that there are attractive elements in PLQ, like new tribute tombs. However, they too are the product of the current WDI mentality.

BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED that any temptation to enlist new tombstones in the service of argument outside the PLQ must be resisted. Enjoy 'em. Just don't use 'em in connection with anything else at the Mansion, as this is in violation of the Imagineers' intent.

It may further be noted and acknowledged that the new Hitchhiking Ghost mirror gag is also official WDI canon, and at present it does not seem to present any logical difficulties. However, that must be taken as purely coincidental, since this too is the product of a mindset that considers rational HM analysis invalid.

BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED that nothing distinctively new in the current HHG gag can be used to support or refute any argument that extends beyond their appearance in the mirrors. The bats in Ezra's hat, for example, mean nothing in any discussion of the character of Ezra. This too is in full accordance with the philosophy of the WDI Imagineers who created and installed the new effect, which philosophy deems such extrapolations invalid.

Witness my hand (quavering on top of the cane),
    HBQ2
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Again, I suggest that you do not take those tombstones seriously. If you do, just because "Imagineers put them there" you will have to start thinking of the HM as a jumbled, fictional, cartoon environment that is not supposed to exist in the real world.
    Well,

I know I'm going against the popular opinion/belief here, but to me the HM has always existed within a highly fantastical world. Not as a jumbled cartoon environment, but definitely a fantasy world - albeit one that resembles our own.

A world in which the folklore, myths, and legends of the supernatural are true.
    Not just ghosts - but witches, vampires, werecats, Medusa, the Flying Dutchman, etc.
    Rolly's Museum of the Weird was all about these supernatural creatures and things.
    Of course, the supernatural stuff is rare in this fictional world, but it does exist, and the Haunted Mansion is a magnet to it.

My problem with the new queue is its horrendous execution.
    It ruins the unsettling mood that was supposed to set up the Haunted Mansion experience.
    It's too much too soon. It's cartoony, cheesy, and obnoxious.
    Stylistically, the Dread Family busts look like they came straight out of Mr. Toad. The rest of the busts in the mansion look like real human beings.
    I agree that a sea serpent shouldn't be wrapped around the bust, because at this point the experience should more closely resemble the real world. The supernatural should gradually increase as you journey deeper into the Haunted Mansion. Sea serpents can exist, but it's too soon.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 05-01-2011 at 06:29 PM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM