Page 220 of 584 FirstFirst ... 120170195210217218219220221222223230245270320 ... LastLast
Results 3,286 to 3,300 of 8750

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Just to throw another log on your fire: who do you suppose is playing the organ while the GH is talking to you? Hmmmm.
    Same deal as with the piano in the Music Room.

• I'm a Lutheran

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Just to throw another log on your fire: who do you suppose is playing the organ while the GH is talking to you? Hmmmm.
    Either the Ghost Host can separate his voice from his body (When he's in the Music Room) or it is just assumed that you don't see the organist until after he's finished his bit of narration.

I think it's safe to say that we'll never figure out who the Ghost Host really is. It should probably stay that way too.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    If that blue thing just past the record player is what I think it is, it's a Lipton teapot from the 1930s.
    No, I think it may be a McCormick Marine Blue 10 oz. teapot by Hall China for McCormick & Co. of Baltimore. If it is, it was most likely made from 1935 through 1948. My Grandmother worked at McCormick & Co. in the 1920s putting the tea into teabags, one spoonful at a time. She had the standard size maroon version of the McCormick teapot with the infuser.

Doesn't really matter though; it wouldn't likely be discernible under show lighting conditions, so it wouldn't count.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 05-08-2011 at 06:36 AM.

• Inhospitable about happy

One thing about glassware, it's treacherous. You think you have a positive ID and therefore a firm date, and then someone points out these barely detectible ridges or slight difference in the size of a handle (or whatever) and POOF, it's a totally other style 100 years distant from where you put it. And there you sit with egg on your face. I'm reeeeelly cautious with that evidence.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

I decided to locate the RR tracks more precisely.

The green thing is the major trestle support you can see in these old shots before the show building went up.

So some of these mystery footfalls don't happen directly under the actual tracks, literally, but I wouldn't expect train vibrations to emanate down to you from the ceiling. They'd pass through the walls to the floor, and that's how you would probably detect them, if you detected them at all. I have to think a certain amount of vibration radiates out from that trestle and could very well be detected from time to time, depending on how many people are standing around dampening the floor vibrations with their weight, how heavy the train is (passenger load), and so on. I'm not debunking the footfalls—I'm open minded about that sort of thing, but this looks like it could be an explanation.

---------------------------------

Oh, and everybody have a happy Mother's Day.

• Forever dancing

"We all go a little mad sometimes" Happy Mother's Day indeed. Pyscho is one of my favorite movies of all time! I just watched it the other day as a matter o' fact. Not that it has anything to do with anything though (:
    "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together." ~ Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    Also in that model kit series, Gus was referred to as a gnome (another non-human creature).
    However, gnomes are usually depicted as a lot smaller than Gus.
    Also, I don't think Marc Davis was depicting a gnome prisoner in particular - just a very short human.
    From GRD's old blog:
    One interesting thing about the concept art for some of the ghosts that Marc Davis created is that, some of them were apparently not to be humanoid spirits, but that of Monsters.

- The Ghost Relations Department: Famous Monsters of... Disney

• Forever dancing

Yeah Gus does seem like a little troll like creature. I wonder when they finally made the change.
    "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together." ~ Walt Disney

Yeah Gus does seem like a little troll like creature. I wonder when they finally made the change.
    I don't think the concept of his character (a monster ghost) was changed, especially since they had Candy Candido provide his voice. Are there human "little people" out there that have a voice like that?

HBG2, I noticed someone posted this comment on your latest blog post:
    Did you ever think (or is it ever implied) that you aren't supposed to be in a house in New Orleans, but that Disney MOVED a haunted house from New Orleans to Disneyland? I'm thinking of statements released when the ride was under construction, that the house was being built at Disneyland as a place for ghosts to gather. Then I'm reminded of some of the original concepts that had the house being restored at Disneyland, the contractors disappearing, work being undone overnight by the ghosts... However, then there's other material like the Story and Song From the Haunted Mansion, in which the mansion is clearly a real house in the real world, not located in a theme park. Maybe the unofficial backstory is that Disney found this real haunted house in New Orleans (perhaps while researching the ride?), moved it to Disneyland as an attraction, and all the spirits (as well as the real-world characters, like the raven) came with it...?
    This is also one of my interpretations of the HM. I've brought it up previously in Thread #6:
    Not sure if I can explain this well, but my theory is that you're overlapping with 3 or more distinct worlds.
    There's your present day world, with you in Disneyland, California (not actually New Orleans), in the pristine mansion. Note the lack of cemetery behind the house.
    There's the "spirit world," where time has no meaning (13 hour clock hands spinning forever but staying at the same time) and the happy haunts create and manipulate their environment.
    Then there's the world that's several years in the past on one night (Walpurgis Night?) -- the house is in its original location in New Orleans or wherever, it's decrepit, and it's next to a huge cemetery. The caretaker, to me, looks like he's from 50 years ago. Who uses lanterns anymore? And yeah, he probably was out of there by the next day, but it was his tomorrow, not ours.
    It was a real haunted house that Walt & crew found in New Orleans and brought to Disneyland.
    They then invited ghosts from all over the world to move in.
    This is the backstory in all the early promotional material (except for the LP).
    The white hearse has always had that "Disneyland Ghost Relations Department" sign.
    Disney ensures the exterior looks nice and the ghosts "take care" of the inside.
    As you can see, the exterior of this haunted old mansion has been faithfully restored, in keeping with true Disneyland tradition. Ah, but the interior belongs to the spirits. We've decorated it in the weirdest ghostly tradition. We've made it frightfully unlivable.
    From this perspective, the HM gate plaques do exist.

Going back to the discussion of when the HM takes place,
    Your experience (the "story") happens in present day since it's at Disneyland, in New Orleans Square (not the real New Orleans, Louisiana).
    The servants then, are simply Disney Cast Members and not actual butlers and maids.
    The graveyard finale is a Christmas Carol type of thing, where you see the house in its former location - abandoned and next to an old graveyard.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 05-08-2011 at 04:06 PM.

The problem with the trans-located haunted house theory is the backyard graveyard. There's a much older, good-sized public cemetery behind the HM.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    It was a real haunted house that Walt & crew found in New Orleans and brought to Disneyland.
    They then invited ghosts from all over the world to move in.
    This is the backstory in all the early promotional material (except for the LP).
    The white hearse has always had that "Disneyland Ghost Relations Department" sign.
    Disney ensures the exterior looks nice and the ghosts "take care" of the inside.

From this perspective, the HM gate plaques do exist.

Going back to the discussion of when the HM takes place,
    Your experience (the "story") happens in present day since it's at Disneyland, in New Orleans Square (not the real New Orleans, Louisiana).
    The servants then, are simply Disney Cast Members and not actual butlers and maids.
    The graveyard finale is a Christmas Carol type of thing, where you see the house in its former location - abandoned and next to an old graveyard.
    Hmm, It is a plausible theory, but not one that I ever liked. I always found it to be a bit goofy. Would the Mansion have this sort of appeal if everyone thought that way?

And if you think of the mansion that way, you have to do the same for every Disney attraction in every Disney park. Did Imagineers bring Big Thunder Mountain to WDW and DL stone by stone? What about POTC? Space Mountain?

I don't know, that's just my take.

The problem with the trans-located haunted house theory is the backyard graveyard. There's a much older, good-sized public cemetery behind the HM.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

• Banned User

I have read the theory that the ghosts are unable to materialise until Madam Leota helps them to do so. However, no one seems to have mentioned that she herself is a ghost. Isn't she? So why is she able to independently materialise while the others cannot?

How do you "know" there's no cemetery or oak trees behind the DL HM? You can't see back there!

That the entire cemetery is a sort of phantom manifestation from the old location is one of those hypotheses that many would label "special pleading." Not disprovable, but a little eyeroll inducing and ultimately unnecessary. It's also a solution that causes a new problem. The Caretaker is human, not a ghost, and he's the caretaker of the public cemetery, not the HM or its grounds. The Imagineers indicated as much by having him headed through the cemetery gate with a shovel in his hand (i.e., en route to do some task in there). Also, you enter one of the crypts in that "phantom" cemetery and emerge from a very real crypt to one side of the HM. You can perhaps postulate that the ghosts direct you into the one real crypt back there (part of the complex of family tombs, no doubt), but that would suggest that they want to trick you into thinking the phantom graveyard is real. Why? What do they care whether you think it's actually there or not? It's fun as a thought experiment, but as a serious theory we're deep into special pleading again.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM