Page 222 of 707 FirstFirst ... 122172197212219220221222223224225232247272322 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 10600

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Considering how difficult it is to film in there to professional quality, it's no surprise that they just keep going back to the same old footage. Even today you rarely see a segment on the HM that doesn't use something from it. The only time I've seen a director avoid it entirely and do his own filming (100%) was the 1990 35th DL anniversary "Cheers" segment, with boyhood Woody finding a ghostly girlfriend in the HM.

Speaking of 1990, RegionsB, thanks for pointing out that video! In case anyone's interested in the orientation of that attic clip, picture Constance standing about 10 feet or so behind the Imagineer's back.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    Some GdT HM movie talk:
    "At the spirit of it, I want to reflect the E-Ticket rides at Disneyland: incredibly exciting, incredibly thrilling, fun but not in that comedic way. Definitely 100% not a comedy its a haunted house movie. It should be really spooky like the mansion!
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    I suspect I'm in the minority after the disastrous attempts at comedy in the Eddie Murphy/Rob Minkoff movie, but 100% not a comedy? That sounds like heading too far in the other direction to me. I don't think an exact recreation of the ride would work well as a movie, but I'd like to see them try to match the attraction's tone, and maybe even emotional arc: eeriness, creepiness, and finally comedic relief.

The problem with the last movie wasn't that it was a comedy, it was that it was a terrible comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    I suspect I'm in the minority after the disastrous attempts at comedy in the Eddie Murphy/Rob Minkoff movie, but 100% not a comedy? That sounds like heading too far in the other direction to me. I don't think an exact recreation of the ride would work well as a movie, but I'd like to see them try to match the attraction's tone, and maybe even emotional arc: eeriness, creepiness, and finally comedic relief.

The problem with the last movie wasn't that it was a comedy, it was that it was a terrible comedy.
    I'm sure it will probably have a little dark humor, like the ride.
    I personally don't want another "comedy film."
    The POTC movies have comedic elements, but those are classified as action-adventure films.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 05-10-2011 at 08:56 PM.

He's submitted the screenplay to Disney. If it's too too dark, they'll insist on some comic relief, one supposes.

They could always release it under Touchstone Pictures.

GdT said it would be dark, but not hardcore dark.
    It probably won't be an issue.

The POTC films have been pretty edgy.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 05-10-2011 at 09:15 PM.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I could be wrong but that object behind the pop-up appears to be an upside down table that is now right side up and featured in the Frank Tableau.

Got a question for Smelly, one of our more original Mansion theologians.

Let's suppose my spirit-possessed building theory is correct. The place is held in unnaturally good condition because it's the surrogate body for the disembodied spirits. Once they pop free, the place falls into a normal state of decay for its age. I can't recall whether you buy that theory in whole or in part, or not at all.

I notice that the real architectural discrepancies coincide with the switch. Not only the attic gable as you exit and look back, but also the ballroom is difficult if not impossible to reconcile with the exterior architecture. (Some try to add the Conservatory to that list, but I say it's too small and you can't be sure about that: it could be on the other side somewhere, undetectable from the front. WDW has it in full view of course.)

If I read you right, the attic architecture really reflects the original building, perhaps before a remodel, perhaps before it was destroyed by a fire (my favorite version of that theory). The problem is, how come the building goes to a ghostly form, a previous incarnation, after the ghosts leave the walls? You'd think the opposite would be the case: they're keeping it in its old form unnaturally by taking it as their own body, but once released it normalizes to the more modern building it was until it became radically possessed (or repossessed?).

Your general theories ticked up a few notches (but only a few! don't get cocky) in my estimation when you invoked the Christmas Carol analogy, since (1) it is after all the most famous ghost story in English, (2) seeing the same place as it was in two different times, almost superimposed, is a recurring motif in the story, and (3) there are already other motifs in the story strikingly like the HM, like the door knocker that morphs into a ghostly visage for a few moments before returning to normal.

Coincidental, but still rather suggestive to find a Dickens "quotation" in the ballroom, I would imagine (Pickwick). A Christmas Carol would undeniably have been part of the mental furniture carried about in the Imagineers' subconscious.

I don't subscribe to the ghosts trapped in the architecture theory, but it does give a good explanation for the state of disrepair once the ghosts start making their presence known.

I think most of the ghosts are already free to float around and possess different objects.
    Madame Leota just helps them appear to your mortal eyes.

In the Corridor of Doors, there are different things going on with the doors.
    Some ghosts are just trying to scare you by rapping the knockers and turning the door handles, from the outside.
    The "breathing door" could be possessed by choice.

Some of them are stuck/confused, like the guy in the coffin and the ones pounding on the doors. They seem to have been previously "resting" somewhere and were suddenly awakened/sucked into the mansion environment. They don't know what's going on.
    "Who turned out the lights? Where is everybody?"
    If you use the theory of the ghosts trapped in the woodwork for all these years, none of the ghosts should be confused.

The Tokyo HM (and formerly WDW) has a pair of bony corpse hands on the last door - suggesting dead bodies are behind some of these doors.
    In that case, the pounding coming from the doors could be from corpses re-animated by ghosts who haven't yet learned how to separate from their mortal body (like coffin guy).
    One piece of concept art showed a corpse's arm that had burst through one of the doors, reaching for the handle. (GRD had this as his avatar pic at one time, if I remember correctly.)
    So they're behind the doors, trying to get out into the hall.
    If they were somehow trapped in the architecture, they'd be in the doors.

If I read you right, the attic architecture really reflects the original building, perhaps before a remodel, perhaps before it was destroyed by a fire (my favorite version of that theory).
    So instead of the mansion preserved by spirits theory,

My current thinking is that right after "limbo" you're in the mansion's previous incarnation.
    In the foyer, stretching room, and portrait hallway you're still in the New Orleans style mansion at Disneyland.
    You get a brief glimpse of the original house when you see the GH hanging.
    Once you cross the void, you're fully immersed in the crumbling Victorian mansion that no longer exists.

Old mansion (location: ?) / New mansion (location: DL, CA)

It may have been a house that Walt and co. found in California (Constance ties into that).
    I also like the theory of the original house burning down.
    They could have used the (still haunted) remains of the house to build the new mansion at Disneyland, in a New Orleans antebellum style.
    The remains had some kind of "memory" or "psychic imprint" of the original building.

If you look at it this way - the GH, coffin corpse, corpses behind doors, etc. were probably some of the last occupants of the original mansion.
    Rotting corpse hanging from the rafters...
    Abandoned funeral...
    Corpses in the guest rooms...

A Christmas Carol would undeniably have been part of the mental furniture carried about in the Imagineers' subconscious.
    Ken Anderson had the ghosts of Scrooge & Marley as some of the famous party guests.

• Vroom, vroom!

ok, once again I get dragged into this conversation, only to find that I gotta put my opinion in.
    Ok, I think personally, that the attic being different really is because it was a mistake in the imaginearing that they figured nobody would notice... To make it make sense tho?

Ok, The original mansion when it was built had several additions over the years added to it and the way you see it from the back is the first part of the house built.
    The front part of the mansion is the most recent addition to the mansion, and since it is visible in NOS then it is kept the prettiest.
    Case solved.
    or to make it more simply complicated...
    I lived in a house that was kinda like that, where the front end was really pretty and looked ideal, but the back of it was a whole other style, like all sides matched but one, and they never got around to changing it because its not broke, why fix it?
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

• roundabout

Just a bit of a shift in topic, the wonderful "Tours Departing Daily" website has a great photo of the stretch room right at the point of, 'There's Always My Way! I love the work these guys are producing and they pretty much have hit the nail on the head with this quip, Maybe that's what the ghost host should say, "I offer you this chilling challenge - to take a good picture!" Of course, there's always my way.

Here is the pic

And here's my question, From an earlier post we had an excellent look at one of the Haunted Mansions Cupola Doors yet with this photography the doors appear different. Is this gentleman hanging from the mansions cupola?

Attached Images Attached Images  

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    They could always release it under Touchstone Pictures.

GdT said it would be dark, but not hardcore dark.
    It probably won't be an issue.

The POTC films have been pretty edgy.
    I think I would be satisfied with the degree of humor to darkness as foudn in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. There's quite a lot of comedy in those. Maybe a leeeetle more silliness would be nice, but I could live with a pirates amount of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by hubbub View Post
    Just a bit of a shift in topic, the wonderful "Tours Departing Daily" website has a great photo of the stretch room right at the point of, 'There's Always My Way! I love the work these guys are producing and they pretty much have hit the nail on the head with this quip, Maybe that's what the ghost host should say, "I offer you this chilling challenge - to take a good picture!" Of course, there's always my way.

Here is the pic

And here's my question, From an earlier post we had an excellent look at one of the Haunted Mansions Cupola Doors yet with this photography the doors appear different. Is this gentleman hanging from the mansions cupola?

I think you are supposed to think so, yes. It seems like this is what happened. The building was going to have a square cupola, right up until pretty close to construction. But the elevators and their turrets or towers were octagonal, and it must have occurred to one or another of the Imagineers that people would instinctively want to link the two, so they quickly redesigned the cupola as an octagon, in full keeping with the exterior architecture, of course. The sloppiness of the correspondence was not felt to be a problem since you only briefly glimpse the tower, and your attention is on the corpse.
    Flash! Octagon. Windows. Tower = Cupola.
    The tower is odd by any reckoning. The windows look like they're at a ridiculous angle. I think it's forced perspective to make it look much taller, and they didn't think you'd have enough time to get a good look at it.

• roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    .... since you only briefly glimpse the tower, and your attention is on the corpse.
    Flash! Octagon. Windows. Tower = Cupola.
    The tower is odd by any reckoning. The windows look like they're at a ridiculous angle. I think it's forced perspective to make it look much taller, and they didn't think you'd have enough time to get a good look at it.
    I think you've got it, of course you do! If you look at that photo on the "Tours Departing Daily" site 3x sized (here is the link) the perspective is forced hard. The building structure itself is less than 10' to the ceiling. Combine the rope, the unfortunate hanging man and the cupola structure it won't work. I think they've done a wonderful job with this forced perspective and I wouldn't change a thing, it's just one of those effects I never really pondered until this photograph. I've only had a second or two to think about it until today.

• Perhaps he knows too much

I notice that the real architectural discrepancies coincide with the switch. Not only the attic gable as you exit and look back, but also the ballroom is difficult if not impossible to reconcile with the exterior architecture. (Some try to add the Conservatory to that list, but I say it's too small and you can't be sure about that: it could be on the other side somewhere, undetectable from the front. WDW has it in full view of course.)
    For me, any discrepancy between inside & out is less something that needs to fully fit into a logical framework and more just something that was probably accepted by the imagineers as a good shortcut to emphasizing the irrationality of the space. I think this effect is somewhat key to the overall impression of the attraction - you see an austere but not especially large house, which upon entering seems to gradually open up into a vast, twisting & turning irrational space continually folding back on itself, then you get spit out again, and as far as you can see, everything happened in that clearly too-small house.

I don't think they contrived to make the inside not mesh with the outside, but I think it's a problem they chose not solve, since they were happy with the possible disorientation and confusion it would result in.

I haven't felt the need to fully embrace the "spirit-possessed building" theory but I've always thought that we're supposed to accept from the first that the fabric of the building, if not reality, is being warped inside the HM, so kind of anything goes as far as architectural discontinuity once you accept that premise.

Quote Originally Posted by anazgnos View Post
    For me, any discrepancy between inside & out is less something that needs to fully fit into a logical framework and more just something that was probably accepted by the imagineers as a good shortcut to emphasizing the irrationality of the space. I think this effect is somewhat key to the overall impression of the attraction - you see an austere but not especially large house, which upon entering seems to gradually open up into a vast, twisting & turning irrational space continually folding back on itself, then you get spit out again, and as far as you can see, everything happened in that clearly too-small house.

I don't think they contrived to make the inside not mesh with the outside, but I think it's a problem they chose not solve, since they were happy with the possible disorientation and confusion it would result in.

I haven't felt the need to fully embrace the "spirit-possessed building" theory but I've always thought that we're supposed to accept from the first that the fabric of the building, if not reality, is being warped inside the HM, so kind of anything goes as far as architectural discontinuity once you accept that premise.
    That's especially apt when it comes to the size discontinuity. Hey, if they can (appear to) stretch a room taller, they can (appear to) lengthen a hallway.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM