Page 229 of 585 FirstFirst ... 129179204219226227228229230231232239254279329 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,435 of 8770

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

^ I guess that makes sense, though I thought they would be able to fix the problem by changing the actual figures and not the mechanics. Though I don't know dancing etiquette that well; I wouldn't know whether it's the direction, whether they're going clockwise or not, or a different mistake that caused the problem, so I could be wrong

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierlandFan View Post
    ^ I guess that makes sense, though I thought they would be able to fix the problem by changing the actual figures and not the mechanics. Though I don't know dancing etiquette that well; I wouldn't know whether it's the direction, whether they're going clockwise or not, or a different mistake that caused the problem, so I could be wrong
    The ghost animatronics are dancing correctly. However, because what the viewer sees is a reflected image, the female ghosts appear to be leading. The original Imagineers failed to consider the reversed reflection, when they designed that scene element.

As far as I know, the only way to correct the problem is to reverse the motors -- unless the dancers also have to swap which arm is extended.

^Ok, I think I get it.. Thanks for explaining

This is the correct way:

Hmmm. Now, that I'm looking at the animation above, it seems that the animatronic figures are turning the right way in the reflection but that the male/female positions are transposed. So then, it is a matter of switching which arm is extended and not changing the direction of the spin -- I think.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    This is the correct way:

That is backwards, given that the man is leading with his right hand.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

I don't know. I keep looking back and forth between a video and the animation, and it looks as though the arms are correct. When the Lady is on the right, their arms are out towards us.
    Oh, nevermind. Just saw your post, BassBone. They're both wrong, I guess.

On another topic, it looks as though the PM musician is much, much cleaner and neater than the one in the WDW mansion.

WDW:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_q4TyA2b9nX...U/s400/013.jpg

PH:
    http://api.ning.com/files/XhIuwGzBQY...cialsquare.jpg

In the PH, there's no dust, cobwebs, and the piano and the sheet music look new. If it weren't for the crow and the musician, it could just be a normal (though old-fashioned looking) house.

• Yoiks!

I just realized that PLQ is the Jar Jar Binks of the HM.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    That is backwards, given that the man is leading with his right hand.
    Now, I'm confused. Let's consult the master:

You're right! So, it's the direction of the spin that's wrong, not the arms. (You can tell I'm no dancer.)
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 05-16-2011 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post
    I find Binks less annoying.

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

It seems that I got my wish in the whole PM discussion thing.

Here's my thoughts:

The soundtrack (fully orchestrated) is simply fantastic. I have it on my MP3 player. The version with the Vicent Price narration. It's nice.
    Besides the music, the rest of the ride is very well done. Perhaps it doesn't have the history and mystery of HM, but it (I think anyway) succeeds at being actually scary. The theming is fantastic, and the high level of detail in ride (again, I think) is actually a step above the HM's, probably due to the fact that there is an actual story as apposed to just showing scenes. And unlike most other story-oriented dark rides, the story is there, but it's very subliminal and not spelled out to you. I like that.
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    You're right! So, it's the direction of the spin that's wrong, not the arms. (You can tell I'm no dancer.)
    As the women in the Ballroom have their left hand up, they are currently leading the men. The dancers' rotation (counterclockwise) is correct. The flow around the dance floor (counterclockwise) is also correct. ONLY the arm positions are incorrect. The arms need to be switched so that the men lead with their left hand, and the women follow with their right hand. Everything else is correct - mostly...

What puzzles me is that there are only three physical sets of dancing couples. However, you see six couples, thanks to giant mirrors behind them underneath the balcony. What I don't understand is how these mirror-reflected dancers came out going in the same direction and with the same reversed lead as the "real" couples. (The reflected set of dancers are the ones nearest the organ and not as brightly lit as the "real" dancers.) They are a reflection of a reflection, so would they not appear as opposites of the "real" dancers?

Because of this, the "real" couples don't intermingle with their mirror-generated twins, so you get two sets of three when they should actually all flow together as one large group going in the same counterclockwise direction around the room in an oval formation instead of two groups dancing in two separate circles.

EDIT: I think I figured out the mirror mystery: The mirrors are not reflecting the physical figures onto the plate glass; they are reflecting the reflections in the glass! That's how they all come out going the same way and with the same backwards hands.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 05-16-2011 at 06:45 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post
    I thought that was Eddie Murphy's job. The new queue's more like that crappy Special Edition remake of the Max Rebo Band number in Return of the Jedi, with Prudence as the CG Sy Snootles
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Inhospitable about happy

1) When I first said that PLQ had ruined the WDW HM, Eddie Sotto (on another chatboard) said, "Wow, so you think this is a Jar Jar Binks moment, eh?" Words to that effect.

2) No mirrors used with the dancers. That was the original plan, but it was scrapped. There are two adjacent turntables with three couples on each.

3) You ladies need to chime in, I'm curious: Melanie works because she taps an archetype in the female soul, or Melanie works because people really are that easily swept away? (Or pthhh, Melanie is a bore?)

4) That animation is a crack-up. Look at her right arm. She's like a limp rag doll. Look at his left arm scooting up and down, checking out the ol' ta-ta's.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

This is one of the few places online where I can say anything negative about PLQ without getting flamed or piled on, and I like it that way!

I like to think that it's just become an accepted fact that ghosts dance backwards. The lady ghosts are being rewarded in the hereafter for being such dutiful followers in life.

PM is lovely, especially the soundtrack and original Price narration. I think PM/HM is apples and oranges, though. And I think that Melanie and the Phantom do work best when thought of as archetypes rather than actual characters.

Now I want to know all about the ventilation and air conditioning.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM