Page 240 of 616 FirstFirst ... 140190215230237238239240241242243250265290340 ... LastLast
Results 3,586 to 3,600 of 9236

• en pace

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Thanks!

Powder coated? Does that mean they don't have to worry about it at all, or just not very often? I'd say it's pretty dry here, considering southern California is largely desert. Definitely something I'll keep in mind if I ever move.
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by RequiesCat View Post
    Thanks!

Powder coated? Does that mean they don't have to worry about it at all, or just not very often? I'd say it's pretty dry here, considering southern California is largely desert. Definitely something I'll keep in mind if I ever move.
    Not very often - but you have to design it to be all bolted in place so you can take it all down, box it up, and send it off to a Powder Coat shop.

Powder Coatings are applied electrostatically to a freshly sandblasted clean item, then baked on in a big oven. then you bolt it back into place, being REAL careful not to chip it.

For the average wrought iron picket fence you'll be far better off with proper surface prep in place (sandblast, die grinder with wire brushes or the woven prep buffing pads.

And then a high quality primer and paint with a HVLP spray gun that gets most of the paint on the steel. Or a mini-roller if you haven't got that much to do.

And be SURE that when you install it you slope the concrete in the mounting holes so the water runs away from the steel bolt bases. Or caulk around it where it goes into the concrete with a pour-hole filled with Hydraulic Cement if it's done that way. That slows down rusting at the bases.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Inhospitable about happy

Here's a shot of the wrought iron with primer on it from several years back, evidently part of scheduled maintenance. It does seem like they do a crackerjack job of keeping the Mansion's lovely wrought iron in good condition. At least I've never heard or seen any reports of rust or serious chipping.

I've mentioned before how much I like the bird heads in there. Looks very Museum of the Weird-ish. They're the first real "hidden faces" you encounter, a harbinger of things to come. Of course they're actually just a feature of the design, "Bird of Paradise," which is an off-the-shelf design, not something specially made for Disney.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Here's a shot of the wrought iron with primer on it from several years back, evidently part of scheduled maintenance. It does seem like they do a crackerjack job of keeping the Mansion's lovely wrought iron in good condition. At least I've never heard or seen any reports of rust or serious chipping.

I've mentioned before how much I like the bird heads in there. Looks very Museum of the Weird-ish. They're the first real "hidden faces" you encounter, a harbinger of things to come. Of course they're actually just a feature of the design, "Bird of Paradise," which is an off-the-shelf design, not something specially made for Disney.
    First, you are NOT going to get a two-tone effect like that easily from Powder Coating, unless you hand paint the second color over the top. You have to old-school paint it - but you can cheat a lot by using a soda blaster or a sandblaster and a vacuum recovery system to strip and prep the ironwork.

And the stuff on the upper reaches of the Mansion and New Orleans Square balconies is not exposed to chipping or other physical damage, nobody goes up there. So a good paint job on the upper floors should last at least 5-10 years between touch-ups and 20 for full strip and repaints.

It's the stuff at ground level that people can reach (and touch, and chip and rub on, and spill things on...) that needs a lot of maintenance.

And a LOT of the stuff around Disneyland is not custom one-off made for Disney, but available from stock at normal suppliers, not just the wrought iron castings - the fun part is finding the vendor and identifying it in the catalogs and having an "AHA!! Moment."

A majority of the Pet Cemetery sculpts and other outdoor statuary at the Mansion like concrete urns and planters are stock items from Al's Garden Art, et. al.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Minion

Wasn't the wrought iron originally black or dark green? Perhaps the original color is powder coated on, and then someone had the bright idea to change the color scheme later with paint...?

• Larger Than (After)Life

The wrought iron is powder-coated and might have been painted over. I have a pal who works for Disney and he says it's powder-coated.

I afterlive in Southern California and rust is a problem with outdoor metals here, unless it's out in the desert. The marine layer reaches Disneyland and it gets damp there.

• Larger Than (After)Life

FYI, King Architectural Metals has Bird of Paradise in cast aluminum.

• en pace

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    The wrought iron is powder-coated and might have been painted over. I have a pal who works for Disney and he says it's powder-coated.

I afterlive in Southern California and rust is a problem with outdoor metals here, unless it's out in the desert. The marine layer reaches Disneyland and it gets damp there.
    What would be the reason of painting over the powder coating? Extra measure of protection? Where I "afterlive" we don't seem to have much of a rust problem... I think I'm just outside of the marine layer's reach. That's definitely something I'll be sure of before installing a lot of wrought iron around my house.
    - HBG2

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Wasn't the wrought iron originally black or dark green? Perhaps the original color is powder coated on, and then someone had the bright idea to change the color scheme later with paint...?
    Just took a look through my year-by-year exterior photos, going back to 1963 (my 62's are all bw). Nope, it's never been anything other than that light green color.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• en pace

This is somewhat off-topic, but I've got to say just how excited I am to get to be going to Disneyland in about a month. Now going to DL is fun... but the exciting part, is that I'll be seeing The Haunted Mansion without the HMH overlay for the first time in many years. In my family, we only tend to go once, maybe twice a year tops, and since my mom, sister and I all have birthdays in October, that's when we usually go.
    This year however, we have family coming during the summer, (and as they are from the northeast and wish to go to DL) I get to see the Mansion in all it's creepy glory!

*does the cabbage patch*
    Last edited by RequiesCat; 05-23-2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: just connecting thoughts, don't mind me
    - HBG2

• en pace

On another thread, there's a discussion about queues, and some talk of where the queue starts to some people, and I realized that to me, NOS is the beginning of the HM queue... even before I enter those lovely gates, I'm already imagining myself in that world, that setting. I know that there are some that feel the outside doesn't have much of an impact on the ride inside, but I'd have to strongly disagree. Imagine putting Splash Mountain in Tomorrowland, or put Star Tours in Fantasyland. It either doesn't fit, or changes the context of the ride. It would seem that context (setting) may be as important, if not more important than the ride on its own.
    - HBG2

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Very well stated about the HM queue really sort of being NOS, and quite apt...it does feed into the experience of how you approach and view it.

And now, a minor report from here on the ground (though I am not in the HM this second, by the hotel pool instead...however, was inside within the past hour):

Ol' Blasty is functioning well indeed, and attaining good height and velocity from his crypt.

I was aware today (on 4 separate ride throughs) of a good amount of cold air being blasted at the buggies at various points (endless hall, ballroom entry, just before Constance, down the hill to cemetery). It is very nice and fitting the attraction..had only noticed the cemetery one with much force before.

On my second to last ride (at about 8 tonight), I did experience something interesting, though not definitively unexplainable/truly paranormal. There was a "playful spooks" announcement, and my buggy stopped in the darkened hall between the seance room and ballroom. It was not at the portion of Leota's spiel referencing "rap on a table" with the clear, sharp knocking effect, but just before the buggies started moving, there was a definite, muffled, double knock that sounded as if it were on the back of the vehicle. Given the timing, I predict this was however something mechanical: sound system cracking back on or mechanics of the track. Interesting all the same...

Hope this report finds you all well, photos to come from the Mansion likely on Thursday/Friday, and I will see you all a little later...
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• is too darn hot.

Unrelated to any discussion, I got the opportunity to ride The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure today and I noticed something. The turning of the omnimover "clamshells" is very smooth whereas the Haunted Mansion is very jerky and bouncy. Is this an intentional feature of the HM's omnimover system or has it just become an accepted part of riding the Haunted Mansion over the years?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• en pace

Hmm... well, they don't seem to think it's much of a problem if it isn't intentional. So either it's intentionally "jerky", it's not as smooth as it could be but works with the ride, or it's not a big enough problem to them to bother about.
    - HBG2

• en pace

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Very well stated about the HM queue really sort of being NOS, and quite apt...it does feed into the experience of how you approach and view it.

And now, a minor report from here on the ground (though I am not in the HM this second, by the hotel pool instead...however, was inside within the past hour):

Ol' Blasty is functioning well indeed, and attaining good height and velocity from his crypt.

I was aware today (on 4 separate ride throughs) of a good amount of cold air being blasted at the buggies at various points (endless hall, ballroom entry, just before Constance, down the hill to cemetery). It is very nice and fitting the attraction..had only noticed the cemetery one with much force before.

On my second to last ride (at about 8 tonight), I did experience something interesting, though not definitively unexplainable/truly paranormal. There was a "playful spooks" announcement, and my buggy stopped in the darkened hall between the seance room and ballroom. It was not at the portion of Leota's spiel referencing "rap on a table" with the clear, sharp knocking effect, but just before the buggies started moving, there was a definite, muffled, double knock that sounded as if it were on the back of the vehicle. Given the timing, I predict this was however something mechanical: sound system cracking back on or mechanics of the track. Interesting all the same...

Hope this report finds you all well, photos to come from the Mansion likely on Thursday/Friday, and I will see you all a little later...
    Hi RB! I hope you're having a blast! Can't wait to hear more from you and see some pics when you get back. Have lot's of fun for the rest of us who can't be there.
    - HBG2

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM