Page 250 of 584 FirstFirst ... 150200225240247248249250251252253260275300350 ... LastLast
Results 3,736 to 3,750 of 8750

• Perhaps he knows too much

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    I noticed that the pop-up ghost scaring Darth Vader is bald...does anyone know what pop-up face is bald. I'm going to assume it's either based on the Hatbox Ghost mold or is one of the hag-faced ones.
    Based on the original clip it doesn't look like an actual ride figure. More like an actor or prop.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

FrontierFan is right, the shot was taken from in front of the tea party. At DL, there's Ol' Blasty nearby but no stick-head pop-up in that location. Probably a prop, as anazgnos said.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by anazgnos View Post
    Based on the original clip it doesn't look like an actual ride figure. More like an actor or prop.
    That would make it a LOT easier to coordinate the timing too.

Oboy, another good ol' fashioned Long-Forgotten type post, this time an exercise in micro-trivia.

I suppose that many of you are familiar with these two Marc Davis concept sketches for the portrait hall.

You can easily recognize the portraits. On the top, starting on the left, the first fully-visible painting is the original form of the Flying Dutchman, followed by the Witch of Walpurgis. Crossing the fireplace to the other side, it's Medusa, the Black Prince, and finally, on the far right, half of the Cat Lady.

What a lot of people probably don't realize is that these two sketches are definitely supposed to be seen together and depict the same room. After looking down the hall at the fireplace, you spin on your heels, and now you're looking at the other end of the same hall. That's why the first painting on the left in the bottom painting is simply the other half of the Cat Lady. Even when you correct for the perspective, they don't line up perfectly, but...good 'nuff.

After the Cat Lady, that's the wolf phase of Dracula in the corner, and we come around the corner to the left side of the final portrait, as yet unidentified. Some kind of building. A glance at the first sketch shows that this painting has a brick-red edge on its right side, but that's all you can see. There isn't much to go by with this one.

Did Davis have a specific portrait in mind? and can we identify it?

Yep. Some of you have probably guessed it already.

Okay, here's some micro micro trivia. Ready? Davis wanted a building silhouette back in the fog that shouted "London!" to any viewer. It looks like he may have started with Big Ben and then changed his mind for St. Paul's Cathedral. Isn't that fascinating? Mildly amusing? Whatevv.

Anyway, I wonder if Marc changed his mind under the influence of the very recent Mary Poppins film.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

Okay, how about a semi-superpost? I've been studying this photo a lot lately:

I hadn't noticed before that both plants are holding human bones (other than the obvious skull). The baby has a nice shin bone and foot.
    You gotta love that Roland Crump -- and wonder about him.

I always thought the little, green guy was a cabbage baby.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2
    that's the wolf phase of Dracula in the corner
    Is it a wolf phase or a giant bat phase? The ears especially look bat-like to me, and regular bats are flying around behind him.
    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

Did Davis have a specific portrait in mind? and can we identify it?
    Yep. Some of you have probably guessed it already.

Hmmm, I don't know about that.

As far as we know, Jack the Ripper wasn't a changing portrait.
    I believe it was meant to be a talking portrait, like Guy Fawkes and Ivan the Terrible.

It's not very likely that Marc meant for the hallway to have all changing portraits except for one.

Besides, it looks like the original Jack concept shown above only has the street lamp.

I have no idea which picture it would be in the hallway concept. Maybe the villager/werewolf?
    That one at least has a castle in the background - though it's on the opposite side.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    Is it a wolf phase or a giant bat phase? The ears especially look bat-like to me, and regular bats are flying around behind him.
    Naw, I'm pretty sure that's just the wolf. I can't get excited about the minor differences.

As far as we know, Jack the Ripper wasn't a changing portrait.
    I believe it was meant to be a talking portrait, like Guy Fawkes and Ivan the Terrible.

It's not very likely that Marc meant for the hallway to have all changing portraits except for one.
    Why not? The way I see it, this is a concept sketch for the hallway, not a layout plan for the paintings. We know from photos of the scale model and from various effects blueprints that they were pretty loosey-goosey about where the various paintings would go until quite late in the game. For all we know, the talkers were expected to be mixed in freely with the changers. I suspect that all of them together were regarded at this point as just a bunch of available paintings, and whatever ones Marc decided to pull out of the bag were the ones he used in this concept sketch.

Besides, it looks like the original Jack concept shown above only has the street lamp.

I have no idea which picture it would be in the hallway concept. Maybe the villager/werewolf?
    That one at least has a castle in the background - though it's on the opposite side.
    I don't think any other artwork we've seen comes nearly as close as Jack; certainly not the villager/werewolf. Both paintings have (1) a distant building silhouetted in a blue field on the left and (2) something brick red all along the right edge. That would be a heck of a coincidence if it's some other painting and not Jack.

Our surviving reproduction of Marc's original Jack sketch is pretty wretched (unless you've got a good one in your files?), so I'm not prepared to declare that there are no faint building silhouettes in the background. As for the lamp, perhaps Marc left it out because it would be right at the sketch's border, and it wasn't worth the bother to try to depict half a lamp right at the edge. Similarly, on the other side, why depict each little brick in a narrow strip at the outer edge of the sketch? Or maybe he was still playing around with ideas for this painting (like which building to put in the fog, as I suggest in the above post).

• Minion

Tonight at 10:00 EDT on Syfy channel, auction house Profiles In History auctions off one of the Stretch Room portraits from the Disneyland Mansion on the show "Hollywood Treasure".

Also featured tonight is the car from Back To The Future if anyone is into that.

• Forever dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Tonight at 10:00 EDT on Syfy channel, auction house Profiles In History auctions off one of the Stretch Room portraits from the Disneyland Mansion on the show "Hollywood Treasure".

Also featured tonight is the car from Back To The Future if anyone is into that.
    How awesome! I'll be recording that for sure! Is this a recent auction or the one from a while back that sold at around 50k?
    "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together." ~ Walt Disney

I'm like Indiana Jones when I watch that show. I feel like they should be in a museum! not auctioned off.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Here's something I haven't heard before:
    Wally Boag helped develop the script for the HM.

Source: http://www.sfsite.com/news/
    Actor Wally Boag (b.1920) died on June 3. Boag was best known for appearing in the Golden Horseshoe Revue more than 40,000 times at Disneyland, but also appeared in such Disney films as The Absent-Minded Professor and Son of Flubber. Boag did voice work for Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room and helped develop the script for the Haunted Mansion ride. He was reportedly Disney’s favorite for the voice of Tigger, but lost the role after Disney died. Boag also helped discover Julie Andrews when he brought her up on stage at the London Palladium in 1947. Boag was inducted as a Disney Legend in 1995. His partner at the Golden Horseshoe Review, Betty Taylor, who appeared in 45,000 shows, died on June 4.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    Here's something I haven't heard before:
    Wally Boag helped develop the script for the HM.

Source: http://www.sfsite.com/news/
    I'm going to hazard a guess that that's nothing more than a sloppy second-hand inference from this:

In 1965, Wally Boag, the veteran performer at the Golden Horseshoe Revue, proposed a way of feeding the public's curiosity. He suggested placing a telephone booth outside the Mansion's gate, and when the phone's receiver was lifted, nearby guests would hear a call from someone trapped inside. This is the script he proposed:

"Hello? Hello? Is that somebody outside? I have to talk fast. I'm a painter and I've been locked inside the basement of the Haunted House. There's somebody or something in here with me. I can't see it, but I can feel its presencce. Please try and get someone here with a key to let me... No!... No!... Don't come any closer. No! No! No!" Screams, then a hysterical laugh, followed by a new voice with echo effect: "I'm sorry but your number has been disconnected. It seems he went all to pieces. Now, he's one of us ghosts, and we're all waiting for you here at Walt Disney's amazing Haunted House, where ghosts from all over the world wait for you humans. And, no matter what you've heard, we ghosts like humans--roasted. [Laugh] There's never been anything like the Haunted House, where ghosts come to, if you pardon the expression, life. We know you'll enjoy it. In fact, you may die laughing. And there's audience participation... you may turn the wrong corner... you may stay too long in the dark, and then you become one of us. Remember we're waiting for you at Walt Disney's Haunted House. You'll be seeing through us sometime in the future." A woman's voice would then come on the line and say, "You have been listening to a disconnected number. This has been a ghost-to-ghost hookup."

--Ed Squair in Disney twenty-three, Fall 2009. My emphasis.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzing Ghost View Post
    How awesome! I'll be recording that for sure! Is this a recent auction or the one from a while back that sold at around 50k?
    It's the one from a while back (last Fall?) for $47,000 - I think.

This is the script he proposed:
    Hahaha nevermind then. That was like something I might have written at age 7.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

HBG2, it might not be a fluke, but you'd have to find independent corroboration for it - and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Wally Boag came up with some good stuff. The man was naturally funny.

Working for Disney at the right time, I'm sure that many people on the lot came up with a lot of interesting ideas and snippets of 'work' submitted to the Show writing staff. And some might have made it into the final script, either as-is or with a little editing.

This is why most television shows, plays, and other performed material isn't written by a lone writer holed up in a cabin in Montana, there is almost invariable a team of writers and/or performers (size varies) sitting in a room (or on a phone conference) bouncing ideas off each other.

And if a line needs polishing, someone in the room can come up with the right turn of phrase and they fix it.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM