Page 259 of 595 FirstFirst ... 159209234249256257258259260261262269284309359 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,885 of 8921

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Several things --

First:

Someone on Facebook just pointed out to me that new CG Ezra (on your right) has hands and arms that aren't even the same size, let alone like those of the AA. Considering that the thumbing hand is supposed to be in the foreground, it should appear slightly larger or, at the very least, the same size as the hat-tipping hand. So, I believe that my wise Facebook mortal is right; and the TDO creators of this unfortunate "enhancement" are not only foolish, they're delusional.

Second:

I went to Disneyland yesterday (Tuesday) and rode The Haunted Mansion several times. Leota is floating and working well, but you can see her crank and wire/cable; and I still like the looks of the original Mom Leota better. Also, the Dynamite Dude and Ally Girl portraits in The Stretching Room are wrinkled at the bottom around the sides. The canvas isn't unrolling flat.

However, I'm happy to report that crowds were being shushed by ride staff. It helped quiet most of the Stretching Room talking. Maids and butlers need to be more forceful and/or shush the annoying loudmouths twice.

Third:

I rode in Car 55. I did not hear or feel any knocking, nor did I see any ghosts that weren't supposed to be there. However, I did say aloud (around The Ballroom area) that I wanted the ride to "break down" when I was in The Graveyard next to The Singing Busts; and, miraculously, it broke down when Car 55 was in The Graveyard next to The Singing Busts. I was hoping for a lights-on, have-to-walk-out-on-foot experience but that didn't happen. I'll have to wish harder (or talk louder), next time.

So, if Car 55 is haunted, the ghosts are friendly, accommodating and have access to the attraction controls.

Fourth:

When I was standing alone in The Portrait Gallery trying to feel something paranormal or otherwise in the area beside The Follower Busts, all of the chains in the entire gallery started swinging with no one touching them. And no, an earthquake did not occur. I reached across and touched the walls to see if I could feel any sort of vibration and even got down and felt around the floor. I felt some rumbling, but not enough to set all of the chains in motion -- at least, not in my opinion. Does anyone know if the floor is on a wooden platform or something that might give from movement elsewhere? I tried jumping up and down to see if I could make the chains swing more, but it didn't seem to affect them. They all kept right on swinging for the entire time that I was there, alone.

My image was probably captured by security camera, and staff are being warned about some hopping lunatic who was fondling the walls and floor.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 06-15-2011 at 08:39 PM.

• I'm a Lutheran

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

On my last visit to the Disneyland mansion (Monday) I was pleased to find things in great shape. Other than the flock of chattering/screaming middle school girls in the Stretching Room, the experience was absolutely fantastic and one of the best trips I've ever had through the mansion...well not one of the best trips I've ever had, but one of the best-quality trips that I've ever had.

The loading area definitely felt like the boundless realm of mist and decay that it's supposed to be. The lighting was dark enough to keep the walls somewhat hidden and the ceiling tiles were barely visible (I could see them but not too much). The blue fog rolling along the space occupied by the animated mural during HMH was very effective and seemingly real. Unfortunately the coffin corpse seemed to be going through some problems. His arms would freeze then make a slight hissing noise before lifting the lid back up. His hands looked very corpse-like but not very life-like if that makes any sense. The Endless Hallway and Corridor of Doors seemed to be doing well (The candlabra seemed to be covered in fog, the suit of armor wasn't too animated, and the breathing door was in clear sight which was especially cool since I've never seen it before) and the claw effect over the grandfather clock was at its best. My only complaint about the clock was the fact that there were little scratches on the "glass" portion of the clock. Not too much of a problem.

My Doom Buggy made one of many stops (Which I'm fine with) in the Seance Circle, giving me the perfect amount of time to observe my surroundings. All of the floating objects were very lively (No pun intended) but unfortunately did not make noise in time with Leota's words (The rap on a table made a noise randomly, lol). The ceiling tiles were once again well-hidden (Still visible but well-hidden) and Leota's string was able to seen for only a brief second and only from where I was sitting. I really appreciated the lighting effects in her hair. Over in the Grand Hall things were looking great, save for the lack of movement in some animatronics, especially the Organist. The Organist was moving his hands like a slug, no animation what-so-ever, and I could only see the top half of the portrait duelists. I don't know if it's always been like that but I was slightly disappointed.

The wedding portraits in the Attic needed a bit more lighting. Constance looked GREAT. Although her face was a bit flat, she popped out more than she usually does and had a purple glow like she should. I could really see her eyes and facial expressions. My second time through I glanced over at the place that should be occupied by the Hatbox Ghost and got some serious chills just thinking about it, lol. The Graveyard also looked great. The ceiling wasn't too visible, the animatronics were working well (No mouth movement in the hearse area) and the scrims were lit at the right level, enforcing the fog effect. The hitchhiking ghosts and Little Leota also looked great.

After my second ridethrough (At night) my brother and I were attacked by a butler who was in character to the point of being INSANE. This was great and a memorable Disney moment. As my little brother and I stepped out of our buggy he had his back turned to the moving platform (In the crypt) and was talking to me about something. Out of nowhere a creepy butler popped up behind him and shrieked in a high-pitched voice "GOODBYE FOR NOW!" You should have seen my brother jump. And he wasn't the only one. This guy got several other passengers disembarking from the buggy. I didn't even know they were allowed to do that. It was great!
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    ...and I could only see the top half of the portrait duelists. I don't know if it's always been like that but I was slightly disappointed.
    Not exactly sure what you mean by the "top half" of the duelists, but as far as the AA figures go, they only physically exist from the waist up. So – unless maybe you could only see them from the chest up or shoulders up or something like that – that's the way they've always been.

• Forgotten Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Saw that book in the local bookstore before it shut down forever...sad.....flipped through it and put it back within one minute. The blatant misinformation and fan type guesses that are incorrect are everywhere, not just about the HM. Not worth purchasing in any form.
    What is the title of said book? xD I need something laugh worthy.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Does anyone know if the floor is on a wooden platform or something that might give from movement elsewhere?
    It shouldn't be springy. There's no space underneath, just a cement slab I believe. That doesn't mean vibrations couldn't come down through the walls and travel within the floor, of course. It would be interesting to hear from some CMs whether the chains sway like that often. Were they random or in tandem?

Curiously, that "magic" spot is of course the site of the female counterpart to the HBG—April/December. Those are the only major ghosts removed entirely from the attraction. I'm surprised that the "bring back April" impulse is not stronger and more vocal among HM fans. Everybody would like to see her return (somehow, somewhere), but I haven't ever gotten the impression that it's a widespread, major passion.

We're talking about how disappointing changes can sap the life out of some fans. The WDW debacle has taken a psychological toll on some ardent fans, draining enthusiasm for things HM in general. Well, the first time I ever saw that phenomenon was with the removal of April/December. Kali Pappas, proprietress of AprilDecember's Better Haunts and Graveyards and a talented Mansionite, took the removal of her favorite ghost pretty hard back in 2005. It really was a sad thing to see. I don't think she's ever gotten back 100% of her old enthusiasm.
    Last edited by HBG2; 06-16-2011 at 07:42 AM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• hatbox ghost believer

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Curiously, that "magic" spot is of course the site of the female counterpart to the HBG—April/December. Those are the only major ghosts removed entirely from the attraction. I'm surprised that the "bring back April" impulse is not stronger and more vocal among HM fans. Everybody would like to see her return (somehow, somewhere), but I haven't ever gotten the impression that it's a widespread, major passion.
    I, for one, would adore the return! That's my favorite changing portrait (along with the Dorian Gray/Master Gracey).
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I would also like to see her make a return to somewhere in the Mansion, though she hasn't left NoS entirely...a version was on the Bootstrappers temporary stage for a while, and one of her stages is in the former Bat en Rogue/Gourmet Shop location still as a framed picture.

• Minion

It shouldn't be springy. There's no space underneath, just a cement slab I believe. That doesn't mean vibrations couldn't come down through the walls and travel within the floor, of course. It would be interesting to hear from some CMs whether the chains sway like that often. Were they random or in tandem?

We're talking about how disappointing changes can sap the life out of some fans. The WDW debacle has taken a psychological toll on some ardent fans, draining enthusiasm for things HM in general. Well, the first time I ever saw that phenomenon was with the removal of April/December. Kali Pappas, proprietress of AprilDecember's Better Haunts and Graveyards and a talented Mansionite, took the removal of her favorite ghost pretty hard back in 2005. It really was a sad thing to see. I don't think she's ever gotten back 100% of her old enthusiasm.
    I wonder if the Hatbox Ghost movememnt had more steam because of the mystery involved?

• Minion

However, I'm happy to report that crowds were being shushed by ride staff. It helped quiet most of the Stretching Room talking. Maids and butlers need to be more forceful and/or shush the annoying loudmouths twice.
    It's about time they did! That should become a permanent part of the CMs' Stretch Room spiel.

I rode in Car 55. I did not hear or feel any knocking, nor did I see any ghosts that weren't supposed to be there. However, I did say aloud (around The Ballroom area) that I wanted the ride to "break down" when I was in The Graveyard next to The Singing Busts; and, miraculously, it broke down when Car 55 was in The Graveyard next to The Singing Busts. I was hoping for a lights-on, have-to-walk-out-on-foot experience but that didn't happen. I'll have to wish harder (or talk louder), next time.

So, if Car 55 is haunted, the ghosts are friendly, accommodating and have access to the attraction controls.
    They liked you! They really, really liked you!

When I was standing alone in The Portrait Gallery trying to feel something paranormal or otherwise in the area beside The Follower Busts, all of the chains in the entire gallery started swinging with no one touching them. And no, an earthquake did not occur. I reached across and touched the walls to see if I could feel any sort of vibration and even got down and felt around the floor. I felt some rumbling, but not enough to set all of the chains in motion -- at least, not in my opinion. Does anyone know if the floor is on a wooden platform or something that might give from movement elsewhere? I tried jumping up and down to see if I could make the chains swing more, but it didn't seem to affect them. They all kept right on swinging for the entire time that I was there, alone.

My image was probably captured by security camera, and staff are being warned about some hopping lunatic who was fondling the walls and floor.
    I bet that was a sight to see! However, it's probably just caused by the trains passing overhead. That area is directly under the tracks. Their vibrations can travel quite a ways, even through the concrete. I live near some tracks, and when you're near them, the tracks themselves will start to "sing" as a train approaches, even when it is still nearly a mile away! Of course when the train does get there, the ground vibrates as they pass.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Say what you will about the new queue craptacular and the 'Master Gracey' issue, it is still pretty cool I think and shows dedication on part of WDW Mansion CM's that this goes on on a daily basis:

142/365 Master Gracey by Katie Marino, on Flickr

Anyone know if this is something done by Cast Members which management unofficially approves/doesn't contradict, or is it part of location specific training...?

• I'm a Lutheran

Oops, I totally forgot that the duelists are only built from the waste-up...my bad...as in the case of HBG2, I did notice two of the stretching portrait canvases were a bit wrinkled. I'm sure they'll be fixed after HMH.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    Oops, I totally forgot that the duelists are only built from the waste-up...my bad...as in the case of HBG2, I did notice two of the stretching portrait canvases were a bit wrinkled. I'm sure they'll be fixed after HMH.
    I'm THBG. Dan is HBG2. It was I who pointed out the wrinkled canvas, not that it matters. Generally though, it's best to differentiate between the two of us. HBG2 is a lot more subtle and diplomatic, while I tend to get cranky and flat-out gripe. I wouldn't want him to catch any of the fallout from my outbursts, although I've been making a conscious effort to control myself lately.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 06-16-2011 at 06:36 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I would also like to see her make a return to somewhere in the Mansion, though she hasn't left NoS entirely...a version was on the Bootstrappers temporary stage for a while, and one of her stages is in the former Bat en Rogue/Gourmet Shop location still as a framed picture.

She's over the register in the Port Royal shop now:

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

What was weird to me was that the first time I went through the queue (June 3) there was a rose on MG's grave. All the other times I rode the ride there was not.
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

Are you sure that it's cement? Although it didn't feel like there was any or much give when I was hopping and stomping, it didn't feel like cold, hard concrete either.

I was standing at the end of the portrait wall facing the Follower Busts when the sudden, unexplained movement of the chains in front of me caught my eyes. This was no slight movement either. It was swinging about 3 inches at center drape. Then, I noticed that the one next to it on my left was also swinging but not in unison with the first. The motion seemed to travel along the Follower Bust wall to the window wall. When I turned around and looked behind me toward the Stretching Room elevator doors, I saw that all of the chains were swinging and that I was the only one there. But I did not feel any vibrations or movement under my feet; and there was no swaying nor rolling, like when there's an earthquake.

I stood and watched for about ten seconds and then leaned over and touched the walls in a few places. I felt some rumbling, but it wasn't much -- maybe a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 through 10. I didn't think it was enough to set the chains in motion. Then, I felt the floor with my hands in a few places and felt about the same amount of rumbling or less. I walked around a bit and jumped up and down repeatedly next to a few stanchions, to see if my movements would increase the swinging. As I wrote earlier, what I did seemed to have no effect. When I walked away to go over to the boarding area, the chains in The Portrait Gallery were still swinging. And I did not notice any chain motion in the area beyond the opening that leads to the Doom Buggies.

At the vehicle load area, I stood beside the moving walkway and waited for Car 55 to come around. A female cast member was standing near the griffin at the bottom of the staircase. She walked toward me as I boarded Car 55. That's it!

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I did not feel nor see anything odd. I wasn't even spooked by the swinging chains, although I am baffled by them. However, I will say that the eeriness of the attraction is much more pronounced when you ride through by yourself, without another rider in sight. The feeling persists even in The Graveyard scene, despite the fact that the figures and features there are mostly humorous.

I think someone else should lag behind and/or try to ride through the attraction when there's hardly anyone else there (such as at park opening/closing), and see if you notice the Portrait Gallery chains swinging.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 06-16-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Typo and idea.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM