Page 26 of 633 FirstFirst ... 1623242526272829365176126526 ... LastLast
Results 376 to 390 of 9486
  1. #376

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,666

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    I actually have a little bit of sympathy for the eye transplant. Madame L's eyes look fine to most seasoned Mansionites, and especially so if they're old fawts like me. But I suspect that to someone who is new to the HM, and particularly if he/she was born sometime after the 70's, her eye makeup looks very 1960's.



    To me, Irvine's eye makeup looks close to the original, but just different enough to stay out of the 60's box. Now, that's just my opinion. Who we need to hear from are (1) some younger members, and especially (2) some of our female members, who are well-positioned to tell me if I'm fullavitt. It may be time for some of you lurkers from the estrogen side of the scale to come out of the shadows.

    Here are some shots of WDW Leota with the Irvine eyes.









    What I don't buy is the official explanation for the change. Supposedly, they just happened to film Kim Irvine doing the spiel for some mundane reason or another, and they liked the way her eyes looked in the performance so well that they just decided to splice them in.

    Puleeeze. That's a lot of messing around with a central HM icon for such a frivolous-sounding reason. And who approved the budget for that? It's more believable to me that they thought the eye makeup on Toombs looked dated, but they didn't want to sound even remotely critical of her in any way, lest the wrath of HM fans descend upon them like a cloud of killer bees. People are sensitive about these things.

    Now, for the sake of argument, let's grant that they were right about the eye makeup and that there was a need to fix it. Under those circumstances, it's hard for me to think of a more delicate and respectful way to do it than the mother-daughter thing, especially since Kim is a bona-fide Mansion Imagineer in her own right.

    So there's the other side of the argument for yuzz.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  2. #377

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle River, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,462

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    One photo with Kim's eyes makes her look just like Liz Taylor in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof.

    Leota looked exotic, wisened, slightly creepy. But with Kim's eyes, she just looks, well - young and ordinary.

  3. #378

    • Lurker in the Shadows
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Death Valley
    Posts
    21

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    HBG2, I can see your point, but I somewhat disagree.

    In my opinion, from the side, the new eyes looked alright, but from the front something looked off. Now this didn't really bother me too much as you are looking at a disembodied head in a crystal ball (strange eyes being probably the least strange thing about it). However, it is supposed to be the spirit of a medium/gypsy...

    2 things about that, firstly, we would likely be looking at the spirit of a woman that died some time ago, so why would we expect her makeup to look contemporary?

    Even with that being said, wouldn't outlandish makeup kind of be expected from a flamboyant fortune teller?

    It's true that I am somewhat of a purist (first visit to the mansion being 1982), so I'm sure that influences my opinion here. I just don't really see much of a gain from changing her eyes. It seems like fiddling with something that didn't really need to be fiddled with, without much of a purpose.

  4. #379

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle River, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,462

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    HBG2, I can see your point, but I somewhat disagree.

    In my opinion, from the side, the new eyes looked alright, but from the front something looked off. Now this didn't really bother me too much as you are looking at a disembodied head in a crystal ball (strange eyes being probably the least strange thing about it). However, it is supposed to be the spirit of a medium/gypsy...

    2 things about that, firstly, we would likely be looking at the spirit of a woman that died some time ago, so why would we expect her makeup to look contemporary?

    Even with that being said, wouldn't outlandish makeup kind of be expected from a flamboyant fortune teller?

    It's true that I am somewhat of a purist (first visit to the mansion being 1982), so I'm sure that influences my opinion here. I just don't really see much of a gain from changing her eyes. It seems like fiddling with something that didn't really need to be fiddled with, without much of a purpose.
    You hit the nail on the head!

    I absolutely agree 100% - Totally unnecessary.

  5. #380

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,666

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    HBG2, I can see your point, but I somewhat disagree.

    In my opinion, from the side, the new eyes looked alright, but from the front something looked off. Now this didn't really bother me too much as you are looking at a disembodied head in a crystal ball (strange eyes being probably the least strange thing about it). However, it is supposed to be the spirit of a medium/gypsy...

    2 things about that, firstly, we would likely be looking at the spirit of a woman that died some time ago, so why would we expect her makeup to look contemporary?

    Even with that being said, wouldn't outlandish makeup kind of be expected from a flamboyant fortune teller?

    It's true that I am somewhat of a purist (first visit to the mansion being 1982), so I'm sure that influences my opinion here. I just don't really see much of a gain from changing her eyes. It seems like fiddling with something that didn't really need to be fiddled with, without much of a purpose.
    But it isn't a question of outlandishness or even non-contemporariness; what I want to know is whether it looks specifically 1960's-ish. I might be the only one who thinks so. I'm not defending what they did so much as I'm searching for a plausible motive why they did it at all, yunnerstann.
    Last edited by HBG2; 06-11-2010 at 10:02 AM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  6. #381

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,666

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    double post. MC is sluggish (i.e., busy) this morning.
    Last edited by HBG2; 06-11-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  7. #382

    • revolutionary waltz
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    362

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Young(-er) lurker checking in just to say that, although I have no real opinion on the matter of which iteration of Leota's eyes is "better," I do think that she looks less intimidating/scary and more of a friendly presence with the new eyes. They've always looked far softer and rounder to me. Leota does look younger with her newer eyes.

    However, on the subject of whether it looks "1960's-ish," I will say that her makeup certainly doesn't look "hip" by the fashion standards of today that I'm aware of, but I wouldn't be able to pinpoint any certain era on her makeup. I have very limited knowledge on style matters of the past, however, so definitely a fault on my part. :]
    Last edited by TwilitWings; 06-11-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Addendum to thoughts.

  8. #383

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,666

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Change of topic for a moment. Kevin Kidney has a new post up at his blog about player pianos at DL, which is all well and good, but in the process he supplies the sort of thing DL collectors just LOVE to gawk at: clear pictures of the interior of a typical DL gift shop back in the day. And for HM fans, there's some specific nostalgia to be had as well.

    It's the Wonderland Music Store, which used to be in one of the wings of the Opera House.



    He's got a shot from the 1970's.



    Books and records everywhere. For the Mansionite, notice that the "Story and Song" album is on display in two different places, and the kid's record is there as well.



    *sigh* No big deal, just a li'l ol' dollop of nostalgia.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  9. #384

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle River, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,462

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by hbg2 View Post
    ****drool!****

  10. #385

    • We Go On.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,793

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Hmmm... I agree with you, HBG2. The eyes do make it a positive, subtle change.

  11. #386

    • Lurker in the Shadows
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Death Valley
    Posts
    21

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    But it isn't a question of outlandishness or even non-contemporariness; what I want to know is whether it looks specifically 1960's-ish. I might be the only one who thinks so. I'm not defending what they did so much as I'm searching for a plausible motive why they did it at all, yunnerstann.
    Gotcha.

    Actually it didn't even cross my mind until TwilitWings posted it, but I think the fact that the "new" eyes make her look less intimidating and creepy might be part of the reason they decided on the change.

    In terms of Toombs' eyes looking "60's-ish" though, I've seen real palm-readers and mediums at Fringe festivals whose make-up looked just as 60's-ish (if not moreso) than Leota's old eyes.

  12. #387

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,666

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright



    Just for fun, can you date this photo?
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Time's up. It was taken between the beginning of 1971 and the Fall of 1973, and probably closer to the former than the latter. There's an Aristocats book prominently on display. That film was released on Christmas Eve of 1970. There are no Christmas items to be seen, so we're into 1971 at the earliest. Or, as we PhD's like to say, that's the terminus a quo.

    *pauses to light pipe*

    There are no Robin Hood items, so we're before November of 1973, but souvenirs would start to appear before the actual release, so the Fall of 1973 is likely our terminus ad quem. Oh, excuse me, our latest possible date. Is it possible to narrow it down any further? Perhaps. There's an Aristocats display of some kind on top of the piano in back, suggesting that the movie was still relatively fresh, so we're closer to the beginning of our period than to the end of it.

    *puff* They say chicks like these things.

    1971, maybe early '72.

    Wonder how I'd look with a beard?
    Last edited by HBG2; 06-11-2010 at 11:08 AM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  13. #388

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,128

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Very good photo: the Kevin Kidney blog always yields up some fun treasures. And excellent detective work, Professor HBG2! Now if only there were more photos of the interior of the old Magic Shop (apart from the one or two very good ones we've seen here in the Thread, not to diminish their worth at all)
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

  14. #389

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle River, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,462

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post


    Just for fun, can you date this photo?
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Time's up. It was taken between the beginning of 1971 and the Fall of 1973, and probably closer to the former than the latter. There's an Aristocats book prominently on display. That film was released on Christmas Eve of 1970. There are no Christmas items to be seen, so we're into 1971 at the earliest. Or, as we PhD's like to say, that's the terminus a quo.

    *pauses to light pipe*

    There are no Robin Hood items, so we're before November of 1973, but souvenirs would start to appear before the actual release, so the Fall of 1973 is likely our terminus ad quem. Oh, excuse me, our latest possible date. Is it possible to narrow it down any further? Perhaps. There's an Aristocats display of some kind on top of the piano in back, suggesting that the movie was still relatively fresh, so we're closer to the beginning of our period than to the end of it.

    *puff* They say chicks like these things.

    1971, maybe early '72.

    Wonder how I'd look with a beard?
    HEY! That's not fair! How are we supposed to guess if you give the answer right in the same post as the question!

    I was gonna say 1970-1971, because The Aristocats is the latest item I can make out. But you took all the fun out of it. I shall now go sit in a corner and pout.

  15. #390

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    80

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Something just occured to me as a possible reason behind the change to Leota's eyes. One thing I always noticed about the film loop of original Leota that's out there is that in close scrutiny you can see that the whole thing was not accomplished in one take but actually involves a series of individual takes for each of the incantations, and which are then faded into one another. I found this does wind up with changes - albeit not *too* major - from take to take in the position of her eyes, etc. Perhaps they considered going with a prolonged unedited shot of Kim's eyes going through the open/shut business to "correct" things? Or not...

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5
    By CaitlinMcFly in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2077
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 02:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2011
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
  3. Replies: 2544
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •