Page 266 of 648 FirstFirst ... 166216241256263264265266267268269276291316366 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 3,990 of 9713

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Well, like I keep saying, it's an attempt to bring a Lonesome Ghosts feel to this part of the ride. Those ghosts are jokesters and tricksters, and they pay a great deal of attention to the visiting mortals. I can't say that WDI is wrong to try to incorporate this somewhere.

YouTube - ‪Mickey Mouse Cartoon - The Lonesome Ghosts (Co-Starring Donald and Goofy)‬‏
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Mr. Ghost

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

So much to type, Electrifying the HHGs.. put a third track with DC power or Power their main rail.
    This idea came as a result of me trying to figure out a way to power my flapping bats on their spinner. I'm thinking of posting my April/December gif, with lightning effects just from me playing around with the light tools on the program. It's not startling but a "that's weird" effect. A couple of portraits that would work with lightning are the Dracula/wolf and the couple where the wife strangles the husband.

I remember the last few pic's on HBG2's ghost bride compilation, there was a red light on her for the last few weeks before they switched to Constance. That was another board where one poster claimed to be an Imagineer working on the change and said they swapped out Beating Heart's candle for a hatchet a few times. But wasn't the candle wired in and how easily could it be replaced?

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Problem is, to give them virtually any further movements, you'd probably have to electrify them, and if you're going to do that, then you might as well go for the obvious improvement of making them smooth-moving AA's.
    Maybe yes, maybe no. Still, I'd rather see automata or AAs than pure CGI.

---------- Post added 06-20-2011 at 11:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by von drake View Post
    when i was a kid, the hhg struck me as the creepiest (therefore most thrilling) part of the experience. The fact that they were comfortably there, not doing much, clearly along for the ride--it was as if they were indeed already in the process of following me home.

I loved it.

I could picture them like that everywhere--in the car seat coming home, in the corner of my room. Settled in. Deliciously creepy even now.

In the cgi hhg, all this is lost. It's a "ta-dah", not a "to be continued..." misses the entire point. It's like programming the pirates in potc to stop what they're doing, wave and say, "hi, von drake!" as i float by. Sure, you could do that, and it would be "interactive" and all. But it shatters, not strengthens, atmosphere and narrative.
    Yes!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    That one is very easy to explain. Project a horizontal line onto a perpendicular surface (like a normal movie screen). Now project that same line onto a slanted screen, tilted toward you (or away from you—same thing). The line is now much fatter. In this case, the "tilted screen" is the upper inside of the eye socket, the overhang. When she arches her brows so that they're totally on the forehead plain, they're thin; when they drop below the ridge into the eye socket area, they're fat. Inevitably.
    When she was still on the table, she looked exactly like the original film. It wasn't until she started floating that people began to question if it was the same person, and the rumors started about her having Kim Irvine's eyes, face, etc. She just looks so incredibly different!

• wants to go to WDW

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    I didn't smell vanilla as I approached The Ballroom and haven't for several months now. They'd been pumping out the scent for years and now they're not.
    You mean to say it previously smelled like that?
    (I really don't know; I've been asking everyone for years what the mansions smell like since I rely heavily on scents and the senses. So far, the answer is mainly "musty" and for DL's, seasonally "gingerbread". Otherwise, I really don't know!)

And going back to GGG once more, consider this to be dedicated to all of you:

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaGreensocks View Post
    (I really don't know; I've been asking everyone for years what the mansions smell like since I rely heavily on scents and the senses. So far, the answer is mainly "musty" and for DL's, seasonally "gingerbread". Otherwise, I really don't know!)

And going back to GGG once more, consider this to be dedicated to all of you:
    Now that would fit perfectly in the ride. I like that better than the out of tune, lackluster rendition that plays in WDW's Music Room.
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.

Great job, Nova!

• Inhospitable about happy

Great how she can play in pitch darkness like that, too.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Guy View Post
    Now that would fit perfectly in the ride. I like that better than the out of tune, lackluster rendition that plays in WDW's Music Room.
    How is the music room piano "out of tune"? The piano was in tune when it was recorded. The only thing wrong about it was the speed somehow got altered so that it didn't blend with the load area music as it was supposed to. Those clever Japanese fixed that problem at the Tokyo Mansion. All they did was slow it down to the correct speed, and everything blended as designed. For some reason, WED couldn't figure that out in 1971, so they stuck a repeat of the Foyer Organ in the Sinister 11 gallery to mask the fact that the two audio tracks before and after didn't blend.

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

Hmmm...after seeing Tokyo Disneyland's Haunted Mansion in HD on YouTube. I recall that TDL is still the superior one. Thanks to the improved effects in the Corridor of Doors, the creepy and mysterious feeling in the Attic scene along with the cold blue heart beating bride. Also the fantastic movements of the Graveyard Jamboree.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaGreensocks View Post
    A whiff of vanilla fragrance was released in the area just before you enter The Ballroom scene. I always smelled it there, at the very beginning of the Pepper's Ghost effect. It has been said that a vanilla-like aroma accompanies the manifestation of spirits. So, the scent was added to the air at the beginning of The Ballroom Scene, where The Haunted Mansion's ghosts first appear.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

There is no vanilla smell in WDW.

The CGI ghosts are really beginning to bother me. I had read a comment on HBG2's latest blog post that said that the new HHGs don't feel 'magical'. I believe that this person was right. They don't. They feel technological. Instead of the 'wow, this is a real ghost sitting next to me' feel, you get 'Thats a cool projection, I wonder how they were able to switch my head'. It makes the HM feel as if it is a cartoon world (VERY Hannah Barbera). I may be going against the almighty HBG2 here, but I don't think that the lonesome ghosts fit into the mansion. They are cartoons, and participate is very cartoon-like antics. I won't argue that the HHGs are at the point when they are "used to you" and can be comfortable playing some pranks, but the way it is executed makes it just feel, well, unreal (balloon head.. nuff said).

This may, and probably is, just me, but I have always felt that as soon as you entered the crypt Madame Leota's 'spell' has begun to wear off. This would result in the guest no longer being able to see the HHG physically right next to him/her, but rather, in the mirror (which would be reminiscent to many reported ghost sightings).

Quote Originally Posted by von Drake View Post
    In the CGI HHG, all this is lost. It's a "ta-dah", not a "to be continued..." Misses the entire point. It's like programming the pirates in POTC to stop what they're doing, wave and say, "Hi, Von Drake!" as I float by. Sure, you could do that, and it would be "interactive" and all. But it shatters, not strengthens, atmosphere and narrative.
    Yes! I think you hit the nail right on the head.
    Last edited by MasterGracey13; 06-21-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    There is no vanilla smell in WDW.
    There's none in DL now either. They took it out.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    There's none in DL now either. They took it out.
    I meant to say that there has never been (at least since 1999) a vanilla smell in WDW.

EDIT

Are we planning on starting a new thread (for sentimental reasons)? Possible title:
    "Long Forgotten Thread 8; The Rise and Fall of the WDW Mansion"

The Leota film is the same as it always has been. Her features haven't been altered in the least. The only thing that makes he look different at times is the angle of projection. I remember back in the day when she was front-projected from below at WDW and her eyes and eyebrows slanted upwards, giving her an Asian look at times. The film used has been digitized and cleaned up, the colors maybe enhanced or softened to more of a natural flesh tone, but none of her features, including her lashes or brows have been altered. End of discussion.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM