Page 268 of 586 FirstFirst ... 168218243258265266267268269270271278293318368 ... LastLast
Results 4,006 to 4,020 of 8781

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by NovaGreensocks View Post
    So after riding the mansion, I'll probably remember the particular scent, no matter how subtle, forever. I still remember how the Timekeeper show smelled, and I only saw that once!
    The only ride that I actually remember a scent on is Hershey's Chocolate World at HersheyPark. It smelled of chocolate, of course, as they pump the scent throughout the building. Sometimes when the wind is right, you can smell the scent of real chocolate wafting over from the factory inside the park itself.

I don't remember any specific scents on any Disney ride. Doesn't mean there weren't any, just nothing that really stood out in my memory. I don't believe they use chlorine on Pirates. I saw some documentary that claimed they used some other "green" method to keep the water clean, but that may have been at Disneyland rather than DisneyWorld. Can't remember where I saw that now...

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by NovaGreensocks View Post
    *Odd, I typed a reply, but it never went through!

I don't mean any stinky stenches or anything; just the general scent. For some reason, I rely heavily on my other senses, so scents play a large role in the entirety of anything I experience, really.
    When I smell chlorine, for example, I think back to being on vacation and smelling the swimming pools from the hotels. So, if I'm mopping the floor, the scent of bleach tricks my mind into thinking I'm on vacation!

Likewise, just the scent again. At Silver Dollar City, there's a dark water ride that has a very particular scent that I've never smelled anywhere else. It's not a foul odor; just the scent of the ride itself. If I smelled it anywhere else, I'd recognize it immediately.

So after riding the mansion, I'll probably remember the particular scent, no matter how subtle, forever. I still remember how the Timekeeper show smelled, and I only saw that once!
    I know what you mean, Nova - scent is one of the most powerful memory triggers.

To me, the Mansion smells just like an old house. Sort of a cross between wood and dust.

I'm surprised they don't use scent on more rides. It's one of the things that makes Soarin' such an immersive experience, and it's one of the first things many people remember about Horizons. It creates an strong sense memory.

If it's not chlorine they use in Pirates, it's something that smells a lot LIKE chlorine!

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I'm surprised they don't use scent on more rides. It's one of the things that makes Soarin' such an immersive experience, and it's one of the first things many people remember about Horizons. It creates an strong sense memory.
    Loranges! Ah, Horzions. Spaceship Earth also has the scene where Rome is burning - smells a bit like a wood stove. Mickey's Philharmagic uses a berry/cherry/strawberry type scent. Universe of Energy has a swampy smell in the Dinosaur scenes. And of course the stink bug in It's Tough to Be a Bug at both coasts. There's also the fake vanilla smell they pump out into Main Street outside the ice cream shop and the candy shop.

If it's not chlorine they use in Pirates, it's something that smells a lot LIKE chlorine!
    I think the very slight chlorine smell could be that they use city water... but I can't guarantee it. There's certainly a distinct "water" smell inside PotC.

It's certainly not chlorinated like a swimming pool, because the chlorine smell would dominate the Blue Bayou - bad news when you're trying to enjoy dinner.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I'll have to ask around, I know Disney isn't running regular Chlorine.

They might be using Ozonators, or Bromine (like spas) or adding salt in the water and running a chlorine generating electrolysis cell in the filter plant - the levels of free chlorine are low enough that you don't smell it. There are several ways to sanitize the water where you simply can't tell.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• We Go On.

I'm going to take a stab at guessing why Constance looks more recently flat. Here is a video from 2006:

And from more recently (at 5:53):

Constance today is set up closer to the track with her front facing oncoming doombuggies instead of being angled so that the illusion is not broken by traveling past her side. My guess is that she just wasn't re-installed correctly after one HMH and hasn't been since.

• Larger Than (After)Life

It sure smells chlorinated. In fact, all the water attractions in DL do. It doesn't taste chlorinated though. It's pretty YUCKY!!!

The last time I rode Pirates, some water splashed right into my mouth. I thought I was going to come down with audio-animatritis.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    It sure smells chlorinated. In fact, all the water attractions in DL do. It doesn't taste chlorinated though. It's pretty YUCKY!!!

The last time I rode Pirates, some water splashed right into my mouth. I thought I was going to come down with audio-animatritis.
    I got some in my eyeball last time!

• wants to go to WDW

Ick, water from a ride?
    ...You know what that reminds me of?

(Couldn't embed the other one. Wasn't the ride she drunk the water on a parody of IASW? I can't remember now..)

I have to confess that I've also never had the pleasure of riding PotC. Now I'm wondering if it smells the same way the water ride at Silver Dollar City did (it was a very, very particular scent.. Like a very watered down chlorine, mildew, wood, ropes (or burlap??).. Not a bad scent. Just a very unique one that I'd recognize in a heartbeat.

But I don't mean to stray away from the topic at hand.
    I suppose if I'm going to ask anything else while I'm here is, has anyone ever had a strange series of "fake" mansion dreams? (being there, but the mansion is completely fake every time, like a streetside spook house, a carnival trailer ride, a roller coaster through a haunted house, a walkthrough,...?)

Also, I'd like to ask any in the know, how many glow in the dark surfaces are there in the mansion?
    (photoluminescent, that is, not fluorescent. I'm sure there are plenty of fluorescent surfaces..)
    The only one that I've learned of thus far is the one with the spirit trail in the seance room, and I've been assuming that it's the only one.

• Mr. Ghost

I've had many fake Mansion dreams. One dream the Mansion Loading area was in a theater. Another dream had more rooms, and a recent dream, everything was lit by blacklight. My most disappointing dream is having to ride through with all the lights on. Somehow that HM ride was set up in a mall.

• wants to go to WDW

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    I've had many fake Mansion dreams. One dream the Mansion Loading area was in a theater. Another dream had more rooms, and a recent dream, everything was lit by blacklight. My most disappointing dream is having to ride through with all the lights on. Somehow that HM ride was set up in a mall.
    That's how mine have been! They'll more often than not appear in outdoor shopping areas, but my subconscious mind would think I was at a Disney park for some reason. If mine are of the "real" mansion, I'm in the Doombuggy loading area. A few have had, oddly enough, auditoriums in them (the ride or walk-through of the place would always seem "off", though not enough to think "This isn't the mansion!" -- More like "How long have I been gone?? When did they put THAT in?" since the dreaming mind apparently likes to believe everything it sees!).. One was even at an airport, though the airport turned into a convention hotel. So, there was an entire HM set up inside of a big convention room somehow (no facade at all; just a door going in as if it was a shop).
    Odd that you'd say your own recent dream was all blacklight; mine was like that, too. I think I was actually dreaming partially of the Snow White ride, though; nearly the entire dream was a blacklit forest with bright fluorescent colors everywhere. A strange rendition of GGG was being played all the way through from the start (a very swanky version. Ah,.. actually, if you've seen the Addams Family movie, it sounded almost identical to the music playing when Gomez and Fester watched their home movies).
    Though I don't mean to look too deep into it or go on about it too much. Still, it has been a strange recurring theme in my dreams for several years now, and the mansions are always "fake". I had to ask, since I was talking to a friend who commented saying they had fake mansion dreams before, too, also commenting that sometimes they were like Halloween spook houses or street fair trailer rides, never at all feeling like the real ones at all.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Only one I recall of a "fake" Mansion or different was mostly the same...definitely Disneyland, and the ride was the same till the graveyard scene, when after the usual bits it had a descent into caves like Phantom Manor, crypts with skeletons coming out and such, and it was pretty cool, then it had a gory section with bloody skeletons, severed body parts and mutilated and corpses plus more pop-up heads. I actually sort of liked it as I recall in dream format...

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I too have had many dreams about the Mansion, and it's always different in some way. I also often wind up accidentally behind the scenes.

I've also had a few frustrating dreams in which I'm in the park and circumstances keep stopping me from getting to the Mansion at all.

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

About the (somewhat off-topic) chlorine disscusion-

Disney doesn't use chlorine because it stains clothes to easily. They use another chemical that does the same thing and doesn't stain. At least at Spalsh Mountain. In WDW.
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Guy View Post
    About the (somewhat off-topic) chlorine disscusion-

Disney doesn't use chlorine because it stains clothes to easily. They use another chemical that does the same thing and doesn't stain.
    Well, that's good to know. Now, if they would only flavor it.

Of course, I can never stain MY PANTS.

---------- Post added 06-24-2011 at 11:06 AM ----------

You know, I have never once dreamed about The Haunted Mansion or even Disneyland, for that matter. But I have had this recurring nightmare where I'm locked outside of a Levis warehouse.

• Minion

I think Mansion dreams are the most common of my ersatz Disney park dreams. There's always some added creepy stuff between the Seance and Ballroom and I recall at least one involving flying over a huge version of the graveyard. Also an absolutely cavernous foyer and load. Still doesn't match the weirdness of one Splash Mountain dream with Pooh stuff and a vignette of Yoda painting in the queue.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM