Page 28 of 597 FirstFirst ... 31825262728293031385378128528 ... LastLast

• Darkride Devotee

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Hey there HM folks,

I was looking through some old Disney stuff I have, and I don't believe this has ever been posted before.

In the # 13 issue of The 'E' Ticket printed in 1992 there was a short four page interview with Ken Anderson where he talks about "Walt Disney's Haunted House." It's an interesting read, but nothing really new is revealed for any hardcore HM fans. I do like the simple sketches Ken drew for the article. There is one of a "Lonesome Ghost" character that I don't think has ever been seen, or discussed on here before.

I think posting a nearly 20 year old article from a now defunct publication for educational purposes would be considered "fair use." But if anyone raises a stink, simply PM me and I'll delete the images.

• We Go On.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Here was the post about the new internal projection at DL with the Jay Leno chin:

And the post showing the WDW internal Projection, plus a frame of the original Leota:
    Thanks, I saw those posts, and sorry, I should have specified that I was looking for a comparison how much Kim Irvine and Leota Tooms looked around the room.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

Here are some shots of WDW Leota with the Irvine eyes.

NEWS FLASH!

These photos, which were believed to show Kim Irvine's eyes, are not! They are in fact Leota's own eyes.

What has been altered in the version shown in these photos and in the internal projection at WDW is her eyebrows and eye shadow.

I just did a side-by-side comparison using the original film loop and the excellent video taken at WDW by Martin's videos, and her eyes are exactly the same in both, as well as what's shown in these photos. She blinked in the exact same places, and looked around in exactly the same manner in both. What's different is her eyebrows have been softened and rounded a bit, and her eyeshadow is now a deeper shade of blue. You'll notice that one eye is slanted upward slightly, and it is slanted up in both versions (albeit on opposite sides, as the original video I have is in reverse of the way it's seen in the ride.)

Be that as it may, in the new DL photos, the eyes do actually look entirely different. Hardly any eyebrows at all, and a different shape to the eyes, and only minimal eyelashes:

A couple of shots of the floating, internal-projection Leota at DL are up at flickr. They're blurry, but anyway, I've lightened them and blown them up a little so as to see a bit more detail.

Originals here.

• Inhospitable about happy

NEWS FLASH!

These photos, which were believed to show Kim Irvine's eyes, are not! They are in fact Leota's own eyes.

What has been altered in the version shown in these photos and in the internal projection at WDW is her eyebrows and eye shadow.

I just did a side-by-side comparison using the original film loop and the excellent video taken at WDW by Martin's videos, and her eyes are exactly the same in both, as well as what's shown in these photos. She blinked in the exact same places, and looked around in exactly the same manner in both. What's different is her eyebrows have been softened and rounded a bit, and her eyeshadow is now a deeper shade of blue. You'll notice that one eye is slanted upward slightly, and it is slanted up in both versions (albeit on opposite sides, as the original video I have is in reverse of the way it's seen in the ride.)

Be that as it may, in the new DL photos, the eyes do actually look entirely different. Hardly any eyebrows at all, and a different shape to the eyes, and only minimal eyelashes:
    That's extremely interesting. Changes in the shape of the eyebrows and the color of the eyeshadow would not have required a complete re-shoot, so now you have to wonder what the whole "Kim Irvine eyes" thing is about. To squelch all skepticism (currently, it's GG contra mundo), a side-by-side with grabs from each in sequence would be killer, but that sounds like a lot of work. I'm willing to take your word for it, but some others may be more reluctant.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

I don't know how to get stills from a video.

EDIT: Figured it out!

The image on the left is the original film, flipped to match the video as it is seen in the ride. I have done no other editing or tweaking. As tempting as it was to stretch the original vertically and adjust the tilt of her head to match, I left it alone. The image on the right is from Martin Smith's 2009 HD video from the WDW Mansion, available on the web.

Notice that not only have her eyebrows been reshaped, the eyelashes have apparently been given quite a trim, particularly on the left eye.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 06-13-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Learned how to capture images from video

I don't know how to get stills from a video.

EDIT: Figured it out!

The image on the left is the original film, flipped to match the video as it is seen in the ride. I have done no other editing or tweaking. As tempting as it was to stretch the original vertically and adjust the tilt of her head to match, I left it alone. The image on the right is from Martin Smith's 2009 HD video from the WDW Mansion, available on the web.

Notice that not only have her eyebrows been reshaped, the eyelashes have apparently been given quite a trim, particularly on the left eye.
    Brilliant! I did some comparing of my own, and there's no doubt that those are Leota's eyes and Leota's performance. She has a good heavy blink right on "time to respond" and a lighter blink on "awaken the spirits," and you can see it in both videos. For those of you who are curious, the old Leota film is readily available at DB.com in the Séance circle section of the "tour of the HM" section. The WDW video can be downloaded here: http://www.martinsvids.net/videos/Th...rtin%20Hi.divx

• Minion

Now if only I could get some video of the new internal projection Leota at Disneyland, I could compare all three versions.

Eventually we'll see a video on Youtube or whatever, and then we'll know. I especially like using eye blinks for comparison because they're visible even at a distance and even if the video is a little blurry. Also, no one would ever go so far as to try to mimic the eye blinks in another performance.

So what's up with the "Kim Irvine eyes" thing? One possibility is that they did indeed film Kim with the stated intention of using her eyes to replace Leota's, and then later decided not to do it for whatever reason (budget? manpower? time constraints? a higher-up nixing the whole thing as a bad idea?). They wouldn't necessarily have told Kim.

I think it happens all the time. They decide not to use a performance, and there's no reason to contact the actor and say, "Hey, you know that thing we did? We're not using it." They did their job well, and got paid for it, and they've gone on to other things. I think that's why, for example, both Dal McKennon and X Atencio thought they did the voice of the coffin guy. Both recorded it, and only one of the performances was used, and no one bothered to tell the guys who won the honor.

A second possibility is that they did it, but they haven't used it yet, and perhaps it's now in the DL version. We'll have to wait and see.

A third possibility is that it's all BS. I can't remember now where the Kim Irvine eye transplant report originated. I know where I first heard it (Lonesome Ghost), but has Kim herself, or Tony B., or someone like that said it somewhere?

• Minion

I think that's why, for example, both Dal McKennon and X Atencio thought they did the voice of the coffin guy. Both recorded it, and only one of the performances was used, and no one bothered to tell the guys who won the honor.
    Dal's performance is heard on the Story & Song Lp. It's been slowed down slightly to sound deeper and more menacing. I sped it up to normal, and instead of hearing the familiar pleadings by X, it was an entirely different voice - that of Dal McKennon. I'm familiar with his voice through the Mary Poppins and Bedknobs and Broomsticks Storyteller albums.

• Olé! Olé! It's Showtime!

The "debunking" of the Kim Irvine Eyes conundrum is really interesting - thanks for putting some time in on that one. There are so many rumors and stories that turn out to be myths, and since Disney generally doesn't comment on them they take on a life of their own.

By the way, Leota was once again on the table, and front-projected, on Saturday night. ::sigh:: I was hoping to catch her mid-air performance!
    MiceChat from Main Street.
    MiceChat goes mobile with the Mouseaddict app for iPhone and iPad! Keep up to date with the latest blogs and columns, chat live with MiceChatters inside and outside of the parks, plan your next move with Addictometer wait times and crowd level mapping, see showtimes and set reminders for dining, shows and FastPass, and find anything in the resort — from attractions to sidewalk carts.

Learn more and download free at mouseaddict.com.

• We Go On.

This is all very interesting. Just another one of those classic HM circumstances, like, as HBG2 mentioned, X Atencio and Dal McKennon with the coffin voice, and also the Constance projection, if I remember correctly. Wasn't there a confusion a while ago about if the projection was an actress or CGI?

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

Dal's performance is heard on the Story & Song Lp. It's been slowed down slightly to sound deeper and more menacing. I sped it up to normal, and instead of hearing the familiar pleadings by X, it was an entirely different voice - that of Dal McKennon. I'm familiar with his voice through the Mary Poppins and Bedknobs and Broomsticks Storyteller albums.
    Also, to back up the X. as the voice of the coffin guy, the tones sound very similiar to the heckler in Pirates of the Caribbean ("Be yah sellin' her by the pound?" "Pipe the redhead aboard!") that X. voiced in the ride.

Very interesting. Hadn't thought of the possibility of the S&S version being a slowed-down Dal.

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    This is all very interesting. Just another one of those classic HM circumstances, like, as HBG2 mentioned, X Atencio and Dal McKennon with the coffin voice, and also the Constance projection, if I remember correctly. Wasn't there a confusion a while ago about if the projection was an actress or CGI?
    The Connie confusion is because Kat Cressida is so goshdarn evasive about answering the question directly. Methinks she's trying to stay carefully within the boundaries of her WDI confidentiality agreements (and possibly she's overdoing it?). FWIW, Jason Surrell is pretty blunt that Julia Lee supplied the physical portrayal and Kat supplied the voice.

Here are a few more easily recognized mannerisms in Leota Toombs' performance of Mdm L that should facilitate comparison with any video of the new DL version if and when it appears. "Send us a message" is said with her eyes closed, or nearly so, and then for the following "from somewhere beyond" she looks slightly upward and her eyes go from one side to the other, kind of an full sweep. Also, the whole "wizards and witches" verse is spoken without a single eye blink.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TightropeGirlLover View Post
    Also, to back up the X. as the voice of the coffin guy, the tones sound very similiar to the heckler in Pirates of the Caribbean ("Be yah sellin' her by the pound?" "Pipe the redhead aboard!") that X. voiced in the ride.
    I have both of those loops, and they sound like two different people, neither of which sound anything like X to me. The only loop in POTC that is clearly X is the Pirate skull. "Pipe the redhead aboard" sounds like J. Pat O'Malley. (however, I may be confusing that line with "Pipe the lubber aloft"...) I'm not as up on POTC knowledge as HM, either. Is there any written record/reference of the recording sessions?

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

I have both of those loops, and they sound like two different people, neither of which sound anything like X to me. The only loop in POTC that is clearly X is the Pirate skull. "Pipe the redhead aboard" sounds like J. Pat O'Malley. (however, I may be confusing that line with "Pipe the lubber aloft"...) I'm not as up on POTC knowledge as HM, either. Is there any written record/reference of the recording sessions?
    I'm not sure there's any written knowledge of it, but I do know that in an interview X. confirmed that he's the voice of "Be yah sellin' her by the pound?", though I'm not sure about "Pipe the rehead aboard." Jason Surrell's POTC book also confirms that X. did the voice of the singing pirate on the bridge in the burning city scene, which again sounds really high pitched. So it wouldn't surprise me that X.'s voice is the one in the coffin in the ride.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM