Page 3 of 593 FirstFirst 123456132853103503 ... LastLast

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Excellent post, HGB2, as always. You are quite right about how low-key-and well themed the HM exit crypt really is.,...even Pirates, which is constructed very subtly, has a big sign currently identifying it (a necessity for wheelchair parties, I'd wager).

Speaking of the bride and candle motif, and not taking this as proof of anything, but Mr. Tim Burton's film The Corpse Bride does feature a candle lighting ceremony as part of the overall structure of the rehearsal (which Christopher Lee's vicar makes them keep repeating, over, and over, and over since the Johnny Depp puppet can't get it right...). Is this a embellishment for the film, then (dramatic license) or was such a common element of Victorian era/British wedding union ceremonies?
    Using candles like that in weddings is modern. The "unity candle" thing is modern too. The bride and groom just don't handle candles in any traditional Christian wedding ceremony that I am aware of. Modern people find candles romantic and full of poetry. I could be wrong, but I imagine that in pre-electric days, seeing someone carrying a candle was about as exotic or romantic as seeing someone today carrying a flashlight.

Oh, and yes, this photo is pre-opening.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    More rad stuff like this.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Using candles like that in weddings is modern. The "unity candle" thing is modern too. The bride and groom just don't handle candles in any traditional Christian wedding ceremony that I am aware of. Modern people find candles romantic and full of poetry. I could be wrong, but I imagine that in pre-electric days, seeing someone carrying a candle was about as exotic or romantic as seeing someone today carrying a flashlight.

Good info, and makes sense to me. However, considering the HM was conceived in the modern age, and they could well be doing this in the sixties, so it would be in the sphere of common knowledge. If so, the Bride having a lit candle could symbolize her ceremony never being finished, and hence the lost/searching aspect of the candle also.....or could just be me overthinking these things Either way, the vignette as it was originally was marvelously evocative, as has been discussed in the past Threads.

Currently assembling a few more images for another post I don't think we've tread in all it's nuance yet, to be up later...

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Hi all! Happy T7! Its good to see were getting off to a nice start!

• Larger Than (After)Life

Using candles like that in weddings is modern. The "unity candle" thing is modern too. The bride and groom just don't handle candles in any traditional Christian wedding ceremony that I am aware of.
    The (lengthy) Catholic wedding ceremony (mass) varies from region to region, and the lighting of the unity candle is/has become a traditional part of some of them.

Another variation is to wrap a giant rosary around the couple.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 05-04-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: add photo

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

W
    For awhile, though, they were closer to the neon sign approach. I don't know exactly when it went up or came down, but an illuminated Exit sign was there in the late 1990's and early 2000's.

I'm glad they took it down. Looks better without it.
    On a related subject (ok, a barley related subject) Has anyone else noticed this sign at the WDW HM?:

It is in-between the Mansion's front gates and the structure used to queue guests when the HM's line gets abnormally long.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

On another very prevalent "reoccurring" theme in the HM, and the supernatural genre as well as "real-life" hauntings is the old chestnut of the ghost in the mirror.

Of course, the Mansion uses this as one of it's showstopper, featured effects:

After all, who can forget a ghost appearing and sitting next to you? The hitchhikers, however, are more figures of fun and comedy at this point in the attraction.

In Phantom Manor, the forlorn bride appears at the outset of the attraction, before even entering the stretch room, peering at guests from a overhead mirror set near the ceiling in a corner of the room. She is trapped, and rather unhappy...unable to interact as the hitchhikers in Disneyland are.

Of course, a rather more sinister use was proposed for Disneyland, but never realized:

Were this implemented, it would certainly skew more menacing, and keep with the overall theme of the trapped, potentially hostile spirits within the Corridor of Doors. Here is a piece I did of this effect, how it may have appeared if implemented:

On the Snopes page regarding the persistent "Bloody Mary" urban legend/scare prank, they have this to say: "The concept of mirrors as portals between this world and the realm of spirits shows up in other beliefs, namely those surrounding funerals. It was common practice to cover mirrors in a house where death had occurred until the body was taken for burial. It was believed if the dear departed caught a glimpse of himself in a mirror, his ghost would remain in the house because the mirror would trap his spirit."

Of course, in the modern day, this trend largely is used as jump scares and a rather hoary cliche in horror films. The Candyman films capitalize on this, as well as any number of others, even one called Mirrors. There are some exceptions, but very few utilize the cliche to it's full potential. Regardless, it is a fully integrated element of the haunted house/ghost genre at this point. Here is a second work I have done, personally, on the subject:

And a piece found on dA, one of the few I have seen to provocatively and interestingly depict the subject:

Shadow Within by *dark-spider on deviantART

It is almost like one of the stretching room portraits, in a way. A very normal, even serene scene, which looks more and more odd the more you look at it. The female subject has the same sort of dazed/vacuously sexy look as the original tightrope girl painting, the details are all elegant and reassuringly normal. And then you get to the peering, corpselike wraith in the mirror. A sign of potential danger, or at the least, supernatural, unhappy jealousy of the thoroughly bland and normal living girl.

All this talk of mirrors and spirits, along with it's intent, may be yet another sidetrack...but one I find interesting and at least somewhat related, given the old saying of most illusions in haunted houses or stage shows being "smoke and mirrors". In this case, that can be in more ways than one, if you consider the mirror as a potential portal to the other side, or entrapping device for a listless spirit...

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

All righty! I rode the Haunted Mansion again, this time moving my head off the side of the Doombuggy, with my neck in the little crack between the main seat and the safety bar. Twisting myself ever-so carefully, I got the crack and the "bullet" hole to almost line up. So, it seems to me that the shooter probably either leaned way forward (almost to the point of climbing out of the omnimover) or for some reason shot from waist level with his arm on the outside of the buggy.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by garfieldo View Post
    all righty! I rode the haunted mansion again, this time moving my head off the side of the doombuggy, with my neck in the little crack between the main seat and the safety bar. Twisting myself ever-so carefully, i got the crack and the "bullet" hole to almost line up. So, it seems to me that the shooter probably either leaned way forward (almost to the point of climbing out of the omnimover) or for some reason shot from waist level with his arm on the outside of the buggy.
    Brilliantly solved!

• Inhospitable about happy

Back to the "unity candle" thing for a minute. This ceremony is perhaps 30 or 40 years old (i.e., younger than the HM itself), and may possibly go way, way back...to the 1930s. Official Roman Catholic wedding practice (much more strictly followed in the past than at present, mind you) barely tolerates it.

Unity candle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Almost certainly, this has nothing to do with the bride's candle.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• is too darn hot.

The bride's candle is probably just so she can see in the dark.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    The bride's candle is probably just so she can see in the dark.
    Here is my theory on the candle. (It's not big or anything)

A candle is sometimes lit for the dead to either have the spirit take it (or use it as a beacon, it depends) and crossover, to have them come, or to just guide them to where they need to be.

Maybe she's trying to leave and her candle is not bright enough to do so, (it's really not all that bright.) She doesn't look happy there, she's being mocked, so she's trying to go but can't.

But that is what I think.

Does that make sense.
    Last edited by AlexLoup; 05-05-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Maybe she is trying to ferry other soles to the other side like us in the Doombuggies then. LOL After all, there is always room for one more.. Any volunteers?

Well all things considered the time period she had been in was still using candles to see by at night. So maybe she is still stuck in her ways as a residual haunt. Possibly?

• Parking Lot > DCA

More bullet hole talk, less candle talk.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Maybe she is trying to ferry other soles to the other side like us in the Doombuggies then.
    Is she looking for a pair by Jimmy Choo perhaps?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM