Page 300 of 599 FirstFirst ... 200250275290297298299300301302303310325350400 ... LastLast
Results 4,486 to 4,500 of 8978

• Member of Baxter's Army

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I am going to stay out of this one. Can someone let me know when the shouting match is over?

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

How about a palate cleanser after a rough day on the Thread? I've got just the thing.

Who does NOT love the sundial at the DL HM?

Nothing could be more lovely than that turn in the walkway right there.
    The sundial went in during the last wave of landscaping before opening day, and it's stood there ever since, a sentinel, a silent witness to the entire history of the house.

Because the queue winds around it, and because queues can be slow, there is no shortage of photographs of the sundial on the Web. Our own RegionsBeyond (née darkfairyflushot or something; I can never remember) took a careful shot of the sundial in May of '09, and by coincidence (unless they were in cahoots), MC regular Andy Castro took a picture of it on the same day and from about the same angle. Can you see why I think these were taken the same day?

The dial bears the image of an wingéd hourglass. That's the old tempus fugit, the "time flies" symbol. It is extremely common on old tombstones as well as sundials, so there are already some sort of chthonic rumblings going on, but barely detectible.

I love the fact that it looks old because it is old, or is getting old anyway. After 40 years, some things don't have to be faked anymore.

The inscription is wonderful. "Grow old along with me; the best is yet to be." What could possibly be more perfect? But who is speaking? Is this a young man proposing to his fair lady, an invitation to share their entire lifetimes? Or is this perhaps an old woman, assuring her aging partner-in-life that their mutual adventure is far from over, that she still has an appetite for life, and not-quite-paradoxically no fear of death? Is this a voice from beyond the grave, assuring a loved one that beyond the veil things only get better? (But do spirits grow older?) It is a lovely thought drifting between two people, now surely long dead (this is supposed to be a Victorian-era building). Was the lover right? Are they happy in death?

You could never guess from this charming and ever-so-slightly macabre inscription that the ride you're about to go on is nothing more than a demonstration of its truth. The big joke, the main point of the Haunted Mansion is that fear of death is overblown. How do you know it isn't fun and games on the other side? Maybe the "scary" ghosts are just pranksters, and there's nothing to fear. Since no one knows for sure what's on the other side, you might as well consider the possibility that it is joy and not sorrow. The HM offers this up as a suggestion, a happier scenario to consider. It's presented in the form of a joke, of course. They tease you by stoking your natural fear of ghosts, your fear of the dead, and then make you feel a little silly when you discover what they really are all about. The sundial was right: "The best is yet to be."

One can only hope that this sort of delicate wit will be recognized and preserved by those with the power to do so.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Nice.

I agree- the sundial is awesome. As well as your commentary on the symbol.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    How about a palate cleanser after a rough day on the Thread? I've got just the thing.

Who does NOT love the sundial at the DL HM?

Nothing could be more lovely than that turn in the walkway right there.
    The sundial went in during the last wave of landscaping before opening day, and it's stood there ever since, a sentinel, a silent witness to the entire history of the house.

Because the queue winds around it, and because queues can be slow, there is no shortage of photographs of the sundial on the Web. Our own RegionsBeyond (née darkfairyflushot or something; I can never remember) took a careful shot of the sundial in May of '09, and by coincidence (unless they were in cahoots), MC regular Andy Castro took a picture of it on the same day and from about the same angle. Can you see why I think these were taken the same day?

The dial bears the image of an wingéd hourglass. That's the old tempus fugit, the "time flies" symbol. It is extremely common on old tombstones as well as sundials, so there are already some sort of chthonic rumblings going on, but barely detectible.

I love the fact that it looks old because it is old, or is getting old anyway. After 40 years, some things don't have to be faked anymore.

The inscription is wonderful. "Grow old along with me; the best is yet to be." What could possibly be more perfect? But who is speaking? Is this a young man proposing to his fair lady, an invitation to share their entire lifetimes? Or is this perhaps an old woman, assuring her aging partner-in-life that their mutual adventure is far from over, that she still has an appetite for life, and not-quite-paradoxically no fear of death? Is this a voice from beyond the grave, assuring a loved one that beyond the veil things only get better? (But do spirits grow older?) It is a lovely thought drifting between two people, now surely long dead (this is supposed to be a Victorian-era building). Was the lover right? Are they happy in death?

You could never guess from this charming and ever-so-slightly macabre inscription that the ride you're about to go on is nothing more than a demonstration of its truth. The big joke, the main point of the Haunted Mansion is that fear of death is overblown. How do you know it isn't fun and games on the other side? Maybe the "scary" ghosts are just pranksters, and there's nothing to fear. Since no one knows for sure what's on the other side, you might as well consider the possibility that it is joy and not sorrow. The HM offers this up as a suggestion, a happier scenario to consider. It's presented in the form of a joke, of course. They tease you by stoking your natural fear of ghosts, your fear of the dead, and then make you feel a little silly when you discover what they really are all about. The sundial was right: "The best is yet to be."

One can only hope that this sort of delicate wit will be recognized and preserved by those with the power to do so.
    That is a detail that should have been in the Surrell book since that's a nice little detail that has a big meaning if you pay attention to it. I actually did not notice anything significant about that sundial until HBG2 pointed it out.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Very good sundial post, and I spy a precariously perched leaf in both..

For another light palate cleanser, a peak across the ocean to Tokyo Disneyland:

Looks like a cave out! by spajadigit, on Flickr

CIMG0111 by trixieintokyo, on Flickr

Haunted Mansion Queue Area by disneyphilip, on Flickr

mini panda at the haunted mansion by mishakitty78, on Flickr

You'd Be Restless, Too, With a Name Like This... by Peter E. Lee, on Flickr

• Cunning infiltrator

I like Tokyo Disneyland's exterior more than the Magic Kingdom's.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

Grow old along with me!
    The best is yet to be,
    The last of life, for which the first was made:
    Our times are in His hand
    Who saith "A whole I planned,
    Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!"

- Robert Browning

It's a rather standard sundial face from the 60s and 70s, probably based on an older design. My parents have one almost just like it.

You can still get something similar:
    Amazon.com: New Salem Sundial: Patio, Lawn & Garden

• Forgotten Spirit

---

• Minion

Now you see, the Interactive crap at Magic Kingdom would be much better if it looked like the Tokyo crypts.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Larger Than (After)Life

A wise mortal posted a very encouraging comment on my Facebook Fan Page, this morning. And I like it so much that I'm re-posting it here:

"Never fear, people (and not-so-happy haunts). I am of the firm belief that if enough people (possibly including fellow Imagineers and execs) are displeased with something new or changed at the parks, it will surely be returned to its former glory or be removed. It's just a matter of time. I guarantee you that there are referential archivists for the aforementioned "Walt Disney standards," that are watchdogs for such things, whose bite hasn't quite gnawed through the bureaucratic red tape that is inherent in any large organization. And I don't think they'd DARE try that at our beloved Disneyland. It would be like colorizing the Kansas parts of "The Wizard Of Oz" (which Walt owned the rights to, at one time, BTW)."

---------- Post added 08-09-2011 at 02:49 AM ----------

Dan, will you just write that book? -- PLEASE!

---------- Post added 08-09-2011 at 02:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I actually did not notice anything significant about that sundial until HBG2 pointed it out.
    Neither did I.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mr. taag View Post
    See, I don't like the effect because the AA was 3D. That was just to explain how it was more believable and more lifelike. Thats really what I care about.
    You mean Deathlike?

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Now that is some good, old fashioned, LF magic! Although I prefer the WDW mansion facade (IDK, there is just something nice about it, especially after the 2007 referb) but TDL has the best queue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    A wise mortal posted a very encouraging comment on my Facebook Fan Page, this morning. And I like it so much that I'm re-posting it here:
    "Never fear, people (and not-so-happy haunts). I am of the firm belief that if enough people (possibly including fellow Imagineers and execs) are displeased with something new or changed at the parks, it will surely be returned to its former glory or be removed. It's just a matter of time. I guarantee you that there are referential archivists for the aforementioned "Walt Disney standards," that are watchdogs for such things, whose bite hasn't quite gnawed through the bureaucratic red tape that is inherent in any large organization. And I don't think they'd DARE try that at our beloved Disneyland. It would be like colorizing the Kansas parts of "The Wizard Of Oz" (which Walt owned the rights to, at one time, BTW)."
    It is very encouraging, but not true at all. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    It is very encouraging, but not true at all. Trust me.
    Although it's nothing personal, in this case, I'd rather not.

Just call me Hatbopatra -- or Hatbopatro -- however gender-denoting suffixes work.

---------- Post added 08-09-2011 at 05:08 AM ----------

With regard to the sundial, here it is in brass:

http://www.buy.com/prod/rome-industr...211028822.html

Like The Haunted Mansion's gate plaques, brass will age to a lovely patina.

(Oops! I just noticed from the fine print in the description that it bears a different poem. However, it does feature the flying hourglass.)

Here's their whole collection: http://www.romeindustries.com
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 08-09-2011 at 04:14 AM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    Grow old along with me!
    The best is yet to be,
    The last of life, for which the first was made:
    Our times are in His hand
    Who saith "A whole I planned,
    Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!"

- Robert Browning

It's a rather standard sundial face from the 60s and 70s, probably based on an older design. My parents have one almost just like it.

You can still get something similar:
    Amazon.com: New Salem Sundial: Patio, Lawn & Garden
    Thanks for filling in that gap. I should have known it was a quotation. I should have made it clear in the post that the sundial was probably an off-the-shelf item, and the harmony between the inscription and the ride is coincidental, although whoever picked it out may have recognized that it tasted just right for what they were doing.

The overtly Christian theme harks back to my more developed comments on the optimistic vision of the HM which I put down in an early blog posting: the conquest of death and its terrors being a keystone of the Christian (and hence Euro-American) world view. The need for justice as well as forgiveness in the afterlife (also traditional Christian) is acknowledged in the attic scene, the rest is a warm bath of universal forgiveness.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

I wonder if Disneyland will be doing anything special for The Haunted Mansion's 42nd? Releasing new pins and selling buying opportunities, perhaps??

Perhaps, putting me BACK???

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM