Page 302 of 618 FirstFirst ... 202252277292299300301302303304305312327352402 ... LastLast
Results 4,516 to 4,530 of 9257

• Mr. Ghost

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I'm surprised no one else saw it; The skull is smiling, the devil frowning. It might have been pointed out before.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Yup.

Huh, didn't realize HYDRA Agents were among the 999 haunts. And people keep whining about Marvel being put in the parks...
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Forgotten Spirit

Happy Birthday Haunted Mansion

Name:  sailp.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  36.5 KB

• Minion

Maybe this will help.

Scared to ask what that is...

---------- Post added 08-10-2011 at 09:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Dare I say it?

It needs a GOLD TOOTH.

Looks like it needs a whole set of dentures!

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Scared to ask what that is...
    Ever heard of Meddle?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Ever heard of Meddle?
    Um, no...

• Minion

You know what I just noticed? That skull has BANGS.

You think it's a comb-over?
    Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Hair Club for Ghosts! You can swim in it, shower in it, even practice your terror with ghoulish delight in it! Go from grim to grinning in 999 easy payments of $6.66! I'm not only the president, I'm also a client!

• Inhospitable about happy

Um, no...
    It's a close-up photograph of an ear, double-exposed with a photograph of a water surface, with typical ring-shaped ripples. It's the cover of the 1971 album, "Meddle," by Pink Floyd. (You're old enough to know this; whattsamatta with you?)

(It's got Echoes and One of These Days on it. Even if the other songs were crap, it would be a good album, but they're all good too.)

---------- Post added 08-10-2011 at 09:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Hair Club for Ghosts! You can swim in it, shower in it, even practice your terror with ghoulish delight in it! Go from grim to grinning in 999 easy payments of $6.66! I'm not only the president, I'm also a client!
    This explains Ezra's hair down there in Orlando. I knew it was a rug.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

It's a close-up photograph of an ear, double-exposed with a photograph of a water surface, with typical ring-shaped ripples. It's the cover of the 1971 album, "Meddle," by Pink Floyd. (You're old enough to know this; whattsamatta with you?)

(It's got Echoes and One of These Days on it. Even if the other songs were crap, it would be a good album, but they're all good too.)
    Ah, ok - I can see the ear if I turn sideways.

While I am old enough to remember, I did not listen to Pink Floyd at the ripe old age of 9. About the only thing from them that I am familiar with is the Top-40 single "Another Brick In The Wall". Still have the 45, and that is the only Pink Floyd I've ever owned. I was more into "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" in 1971. Don't think I even really started following any contemporary music until about 1974, all current Top 40 Pop hits of the day.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 08-10-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Storm Thorgerson was an amazing cover designer I must say. BTW' if no one got my reference to cash registers while responding to thehatboxghost's comment about PLQ being akin to colorizing the Kansas scenes in Wizard of Oz, watch the movie (Wizard of Oz), turn the volume down and play Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album at the same time. You won't regret it. anyway back to the Mansion.
    Last edited by HMF; 08-10-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Ah, ok - I can see the ear if I turn sideways.

While I am old enough to remember, I did not listen to Pink Floyd at the ripe old age of 9. About the only thing from them that I am familiar with is the Top-40 single "Another Brick In The Wall". Still have the 45, and that is the only Pink Floyd I've ever owned. I was more into "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" in 1971. Don't think I even really started following any contemporary music until about 1974, all current Top 40 Pop hits of the day.
    Nine, eh? Lessee... by my calculations you should have been into Blondie and The Police, or maybe Talking Heads (if you knew what was really good). You're off the hook for classic Floyd.

I think I'll deal with the Pink Floyd—Haunted Mansion connection in my next blog post. Yes, there is one. Sorta. Coincidentally.

I think I'll deal with the Pink Floyd—Haunted Mansion connection in my next blog post. Yes, there is one. Sorta. Coincidentally.
    Is it that if you listen to the track "Speak to me" from Dark Side of the moon while riding through the attic scene Connie's heartbeat will synch up with the heartbeat on the album?
    Last edited by HMF; 08-10-2011 at 08:33 PM.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    More than $6,650.00 for a toupee!?!?!?!?

No wonder I wear a hat.

---------- Post added 08-10-2011 at 10:18 PM ----------

OFF TOPIC WARNING (I can't find the emoticon.)

Since we're talking Pink Floyd and what I'm about to show you is fit for any Museum of the Weird:

The first time I saw Pink Floyd live in concert, they opened their show with the 1929 Luis Bunuel/Salvador Dali short film, UN CHIEN ANDALOU ("The Andalusian Dog"). I cannot imagine that Rolly Crump could've missed this film. From beginning to end, it's nothing but the type of imagery, symbolism and strangeness that I imagine he revels in.

In the event that some of the scenes contained in the film might be in violation of MiceChat policy, I won't embed it. Instead, those who are interested can view it by clicking HERE. This film might be disturbing to some. If you're a mortal who offends easily, I advise moving ahead to the next message.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 08-10-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Saw it in college, in an art class I believe.

What amazes me is that hard-core Surrealism was throughly mainstreamed by the forties. Salvador Dali was already a celebrity and a friend of Walt Disney. In the mid-forties they collaborated for the production of a full-bore surrealistic animated film (although the project was abandoned mid-stream and only completed in 2003). I only mention this, because so many people have still never heard of Destino. There are a lot of crappy versions on youtube, but there's at least one very good version:

Walt Disney y Salvador Dali - Destino HD 2003 - YouTube

Not far back in this Thread I brought up Albert Hurter, a major design influence for Snow White. He kept a notebook of his surrealistic doodles. The most amazing thing about this is not that a "Mr. Normal" Disney artist would have such a bizarre streak but that the notebook was eventually published by Disney and kept around WED where other artists could enjoy them and maybe get ideas from them.

All of this is to say that Rolly Crump's famous creations were not utterly unique in concept. He was/is original and creative, but not an artistic Lone Wolf at Disney. The really bizarre thing about the Museum of the Weird material is not the material per se but the notion of putting that kind of surrealism into a haunted house attraction. That was weird.
    Last edited by HBG2; 08-11-2011 at 08:30 AM.

• Larger Than (After)Life

I only mention this, because so many people have still never heard of Destino.
    I'm one of them -- or was. But no more, thanks to you! And I'm a HUGE Dali fan and even own books about the artist. How this escaped me, I'll never know. That film is STUNNING!

I just slapped it all over the web. I hope that more Disney and Dali fans have the opportunity to view it for the first time.

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!

---------- Post added 08-11-2011 at 02:03 PM ----------

One other observation --

The smiling and grimacing faces on The Haunted Mansion's gate plaques also suggest comedy and tragedy. And what is The Haunted Mansion, if not life itself? All the otherworld's a stage!

---------- Post added 08-11-2011 at 02:52 PM ----------

FYI, the current issue of WDW News Today The Magazine has an article on page 22 (page 12 of the PDF file) about yours ghoully. I tried to extract the pages to post them here, but I couldn't figure out how. You can view the whole thing (requires Acrobat) at:

http://wdwntthemagazine.com/issue6/W...zineIssue6.pdf

---------- Post added 08-11-2011 at 03:01 PM ----------

Dan, they're using your created "Hatbox Ghost in The Attic" image again, along with one that I color tinted. And now, they're reporting the "official" Haunted Mansion opening date as August 9, 1969. LOL! I am having entirely too much fun.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 08-11-2011 at 02:19 PM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM