Page 306 of 643 FirstFirst ... 206256281296303304305306307308309316331356406 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,590 of 9645

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Interestingly enough, whenever the Ghost Host says "hot and cold running chills" I feel a blast of cold wind. Guess it must be in my imagination. (this is in the WDW mansion, by the way)

Great blog post!
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.

• Perhaps he knows too much

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

At the very least, Ward Kimball would have gotten a kick out of that painting.

• en pace

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    What's wrong with kids these days?

It's "Teen Jeopardy" this week, and tonight they had a category, "Disneyland." Well down the board (i.e. where the hard questions lie) was this one: "You board a 'Doombuggy' to ride through this attraction." I think it was the only time in the show where they had dead silence, as not one of the three teens had a clue. If you wanted some iron-clad proof of the decline of Western civilization; well, there you have it.

D'oh, I forgot to include the answer!
    Spoiler
    "What is the Haunted Mansion?"

That is just plain tragic. Those kids need to go study about the things that really matter, like we Mansionites always do.
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

I'll be riding the DL HM for the first time today (yay!), so expect some pics, and a report, in the coming hours.

• Inhospitable about happy

Thanks, Uke guy.
    MG13, I'm looking forward to that report.

And now for some fun. No meaning here, just some accidental curiosities. In my last blog I mentioned how easy it is to find faces in the wallpaper currently decorating the Endless Hallway tableau at DL.

Got me thinking how easy it would be elsewhere in the Manse. Like the portrait hall, for example.

Ha. They practically jump off the wall at you.

THE BAT

THE SITH

THE PIG DEVIL
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Yoiks!

The faces are even more apparent if you are familiar with midieval wood cuts of demons and supernatural creatures. There are a few drawings that are uncannily similar.

I find it amazing how mood affects world perception. For example; for years I’d drive by Rouge Hill Chiropractor Clinic. The sign had red lettering and a red hill on it. It made perfect sense. However, it wasn’t until I was driven home, in pain and on meds that I realized that the hill picture was actually a curved spine. My state of being affected my world view. What was beautiful or ugly one day becomes the opposite the next. I’m sure you have all had similar experiences.

The reason I’m bringing this up here is because I just had real paradigm shift in my perception of the HM. Perhaps it is because I’m spending so much time around sickness these days.

We all know the HM has 999 happy haunts and we’ve futilely tried to count them. We also know that it is Madame Leota that frees the residents in the house. We also know that this was a one time event.

We’ve talked about the graveyard being a public cemetery. However, I had always assumed they were part of the 999 happy haunts. In fact, we shouldn’t count any of these spirits. We leave the grounds of the HM and go through a gate. It is not until we enter the crypt that we leave the cemetery and return to the HM. Even the GH says “There you are”. We haven’t heard him since the Ballroom. It is possible he has never left the building and therefore lost track of us.

Madame Leota’s spell has reached beyond the confines of the house. We don’t really know what the range is. The spirits of the cemetery can be seen rising up as well as partying. For all we know, all the other graveyards nearby are having similar manifestations.

Many people think that this party is a nightly occurrence, forgetting that the ride is like watching a movie again and again. The confusion makes perfect sense though. We see visitors arriving in the ballroom. But it the spirits were truly trapped, when was there time to send the invitations through scare mail to the dead letter office? Did the ghosts have time to R.I.P-R.S.P? While it is true that this is the first time mortals can take part, this jamboree has to be a common or at least planned occurrence. We know Madame Leota has done this before. There was a line once saying that there was a party in the GH’s honour (or was it ours?) but either way the even had to be planned without the knowledge of our attendance.

What are your thoughs?

• Larger Than (After)Life

There's news on the upcoming Del Toro "Haunted Mansion" movie. Also, talk of changes and/or additions to the attraction.

I'll be happy with just one. In fact, I'm not sure that I'd like nor that the ride needs more than that.

SEE: Del Toro dishes on new ‘Haunted Mansion’ movie status to MTV, talks future ride influence | Inside the Magic

He says he's working closely with WDI, and in view of recent Orlando work, one can't help but shudder, imagining what kind of pressure is coming from that quarter.

However, there are grounds for some optimism here, since the Carsillo team was very consciously turning away from the dark and serious approach and deliberately trying to get back (so they think) to the light and goofy approach. I doubt that firm believers in the rightness of PLQ would want to have anything to do with aiding and abetting del Toro's project, given the approach he says he intends to take, and especially so if there are plans to blend the film's material into the actual attraction, as del Toro claims.
    Last edited by HBG2; 08-18-2011 at 08:28 AM.

• Closed Account

I doubt DelTorro would bother working with WDI-East

Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post
    The faces are even more apparent if you are familiar with midieval wood cuts of demons and supernatural creatures. There are a few drawings that are uncannily similar.

I find it amazing how mood affects world perception. For example; for years I’d drive by Rouge Hill Chiropractor Clinic. The sign had red lettering and a red hill on it. It made perfect sense. However, it wasn’t until I was driven home, in pain and on meds that I realized that the hill picture was actually a curved spine. My state of being affected my world view. What was beautiful or ugly one day becomes the opposite the next. I’m sure you have all had similar experiences.

The reason I’m bringing this up here is because I just had real paradigm shift in my perception of the HM. Perhaps it is because I’m spending so much time around sickness these days.

We all know the HM has 999 happy haunts and we’ve futilely tried to count them. We also know that it is Madame Leota that frees the residents in the house. We also know that this was a one time event.

We’ve talked about the graveyard being a public cemetery. However, I had always assumed they were part of the 999 happy haunts. In fact, we shouldn’t count any of these spirits. We leave the grounds of the HM and go through a gate. It is not until we enter the crypt that we leave the cemetery and return to the HM. Even the GH says “There you are”. We haven’t heard him since the Ballroom. It is possible he has never left the building and therefore lost track of us.

Madame Leota’s spell has reached beyond the confines of the house. We don’t really know what the range is. The spirits of the cemetery can be seen rising up as well as partying. For all we know, all the other graveyards nearby are having similar manifestations.

Many people think that this party is a nightly occurrence, forgetting that the ride is like watching a movie again and again. The confusion makes perfect sense though. We see visitors arriving in the ballroom. But it the spirits were truly trapped, when was there time to send the invitations through scare mail to the dead letter office? Did the ghosts have time to R.I.P-R.S.P? While it is true that this is the first time mortals can take part, this jamboree has to be a common or at least planned occurrence. We know Madame Leota has done this before. There was a line once saying that there was a party in the GH’s honour (or was it ours?) but either way the even had to be planned without the knowledge of our attendance.

What are your thoughs?
    The ballroom goes out of its way to emphasize how meaningless it is at this point to distinguish inside from outside. The ghosts pass freely in and out. So, the question of how far Mdm's powers extend is difficult to say. Perhaps word has gotten out, a "disturbance in the Force," and lots of other ghosts with no prior connection to the house are arriving to join the celebration.

From what I know, Del Torro grew up with DL's mansion. He was there several times this and last year. I doubt he was working with WDW imagineers, but he also said it will be a combination of all Haunted Mansions. Haven't heard him mention WDW's HM nor do I know if he's ever been there.

With that said, I hope he does the film in a New Orleans setting with a few elements coming from other HM's.

You can actually see Del Toro discuss the movie at:

Guillermo Del Toro Offers 'Haunted Mansion' Scoop | Video | MTV

Fast-forward to about 1:00. That's where it gets good.

• en pace

I am sincerely curious about how Del Toro intends to combine the HM's without it becoming confusing or distracting. This project has me so excited! I don't want to get my hopes up, just in case...
    *crosses fingers*
    Last edited by RequiesCat; 08-18-2011 at 09:48 PM.
    - HBG2

One of my Facebook followers had this to say:

"The mere fact that he [Del Toro] is AWARE of the possibility that the ride will be influenced by his film makes me beyond happy. It seems he's actually going to take great care of making sure the Mansion doesn't become.......what the WDW Imagineers want it to be. He's really the only hope Mansion fans have in terms of saving the Mansion from becoming a poor Burton knock-off/Toontown hybrid land."

• en pace

Hopefully this means that we won't end up with a POTC situation in the HM, where the movie overly-influences the ride which inspired it in the first place. *knocks on wood* Don't get me wrong... I love the ride, I love the movies (well, the first one anyway) I even like the Jack Sparrow AA's they've put in. I just don't think they need to change the ride so all the pirates are after Jack instead of the gold.

Long post short, the fact that he is aware of this phenomenon gives me some hope. Now if the Anaheim imagineers show a similar level of caution and discretion with our beloved Manse, I will be a happy girl indeed!
    - HBG2

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM