Page 307 of 725 FirstFirst ... 207257282297304305306307308309310317332357407 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,605 of 10872

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Speaking of Del Toro, guess who I ran into yesterday (didn't get to talk to him too much, he was going into a meeting).

I am crazy busy right now, so I'll post my report within the week.

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

While we're waiting for that report...

Here are a couple of sketches you may already have squirreled away in your HM files, but these are probably higher resolution than the ones you have, so bag 'em. They're often represented as Marc Davis concept sketches for the attic bride. The problem with that is that neither of them is a bride! One of them is actually the prototype for the lady sitting on top of the hearse in the graveyard.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• en pace

I could almost understand the misrepresentation of the first picture, since the lady looks like she may possibly have a veil, hanging off the right side, although that is not enough to denote her being a bride. As for the older lady, she may have a veil, but in no way looks like a bride. Since the look of the AA's were designed to be easily read as we fly by in our doombuggies, how does someone end up lumping these two in with bride concepts?
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

• Yoiks!

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The ballroom goes out of its way to emphasize how meaningless it is at this point to distinguish inside from outside. The ghosts pass freely in and out. So, the question of how far Mdm's powers extend is difficult to say. Perhaps word has gotten out, a "disturbance in the Force," and lots of other ghosts with no prior connection to the house are arriving to join the celebration.
    We should remove the ghosts entering the ballroom from the 999 too. The physical hearse is also a bit of a problem for me too. I'd understand a ghostly one, but where would it come from in this day in age?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post
    We should remove the ghosts entering the ballroom from the 999 too. The physical hearse is also a bit of a problem for me too. I'd understand a ghostly one, but where would it come from in this day in age?
    Maybe it's been sitting there abandoned for a hundred years, and the ghosts are just using it as a convenient portal.

There were originally two hearses at the HM (ballroom door and graveyard teaparty). Now, of course, with the one out front, there are three.

I have argued that the hearses are interpretations of the DEATH COACH. Davis has turned it into a comic, netherworld taxi, busy bringing ghosts to the HM. I suppose one can imagine that the spirits of a couple of hearse drivers have reclaimed their vehicles from old barns or local museum displays and have become ghostly chauffeurs. Ghosts can take possession of physical objects, after all.

• Forgotten Spirit

I have a genuine question for all the mansionites out there.
    I read somewhere that the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs in the stretching room dialogue is reversed, and is only played in the correct order at Magic Kingdom's Haunted Mansion, can anyone confirm this?

P.S.
    999th post
    I totally didn't do that on purpose...or did I?

Quote Originally Posted by MrHatboxGhost
    I have a genuine question for all the mansionites out there.
    I read somewhere that the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs in the stretching room dialogue is reversed, and is only played in the correct order at Magic Kingdom's Haunted Mansion, can anyone confirm this?
    DL
    Welcome, foolish mortals, to The Haunted Mansion. I am your host...your "ghost host."
    Kindly step all the way in, please, and make room for everyone. There's no turning back now.
    Our tour begins here, in this gallery, where you see paintings of some of our guests as they appeared in their corruptible, mortal state.
    WDW
    Welcome, foolish mortals, to The Haunted Mansion. I am your host...your "ghost host."
    Our tour begins here, in this gallery. Here, where you see paintings of some of our guests as they appeared in their corruptible, mortal state.
    Kindly step all the way in, please, and make room for everyone. There's no turning back now.
    The WDW edit is superior, IMO.

No no, the best one is Tokyo:

「不吉な乗り物」という名のドゥームバギーに乗って、館の中を進んでいきます。玄関から薄暗い小部屋へ、ラ イブラリー、ミュージックルーム。次々とあらわれる不気味な部屋と、そこにただよう幽霊たち。怖いのに、 いつの間にか館のとりこになってしまいます。

(Just kidding. I don't know Japanese. That's actually part of a description of the HM.)

I have always liked the WDW version much better. DL's version is choppy and badly edited.

• en pace

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    DL-
    Our tour begins here, in this gallery, where you see paintings of some of our guests as they appeared in their corruptible, mortal state.
    Has the DL stretching room dialogue always been that way?
    - HBG2

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RequiesCat View Post
    Has the DL stretching room dialogue always been that way?
    The only change to DL's spiel is the "Hmmm?" (...or is it your imagination, hmmm?) It comes and goes over the years.

The "hmmm?" made its Anaheim debut in 1995, and I think it's been there ever since. GG is right; the DL arrangement has always been the way it is.

• en pace

I was just curious to know whether the DL dialogue had ever changed or not... being the youngun I am, I do not know these things. Since WDW's is different, I wondered if perhaps DL's started differently (was copied by WDW) and was subsequently changed, or if WDW just started out differently from it's west coast counterpart.

I'd assumed it was the latter of the two, but I didn't want to say it and prove my ignorance. (I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later!)
    - HBG2

The WDW version is, I believe, the original order on the recording. DL's version is the result of editing. I think they worried (back then) that people wouldn't pick up on the fact that they were supposed to move, en masse, into the next room, and so they put the "Kindly step all the way in" paragraph before the "Our tour begins here" paragraph. They worried that people might think that "here" meant where they were currently standing, in the foyer. By the time WDW opened, they realized that these fears were groundless. People weren't confused and seemed to know what to do just fine. So at WDW, they kept the original order.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM