Page 310 of 583 FirstFirst ... 210260285300307308309310311312313320335360410 ... LastLast
Results 4,636 to 4,650 of 8744

• en pace

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    My personal feeling is that the entity in the mirror should be indistinguishable, since -- in the Corridor of Doors part of The Haunted Mansion -- the spirits have yet to break through and, in fact, are still struggling as evidenced by the door activity. The attraction doesn't need another character, save for a certain bent, wobbly, leering geezer. Adding another prominent female might further confuse the already convoluted goings-on.
    Actually, I completely agree... I just remember the artwork depicting a girl in a mirror, and I didn't really know what else to call it. I suppose "Mirror Effect" would work. Or maybe TiM = Trapped in Mirror.... ?

What I loved so much about the original idea was that a person would've (as I recall) been behind the mirror, as there had once been a person in a suit of armor. I highly doubt that they'd use an actual person these days, but it could still be a magnificent effect with a vague figure in the glass (minus CG effects, thank you!) in the CoD. Heck! I'm sure someone 'round here could figure out exactly how it could be done, if it hasn't already been done...

*throws down the proverbial gauntlet*

------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    Sorry I'm taking so long on that report. You might of heard that we just had an earthquake and are scheduled (tomorrow) for a hurricane. Great.
    No problem, it just increases the suspense! Also, I was so relieved to see that you survived the earthquake, I felt compelled to post this tribute:

I'm sorry, but as a SoCal resident, it's my duty to tease. In all seriousness though, I hope you come through this hurricane okay. I certainly wouldn't want to be going through that.
    Last edited by RequiesCat; 08-27-2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: a bit of humor

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."
    - A.A. Milne

"I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Well, there's the Scary Mary Mirror sold by Night Frights:

But this isn't subtle enough for The Haunted Mansion and is meant to be viewed by someone who steps up to it.

---------- Post added 08-28-2011 at 02:02 AM ----------

I keep forgetting to mention this. It's somewhat off-topic but not too far off.

I was at The Disney Gallery the other day and noticed that they had a live artist working, doing character illustrations on request for $30 or $35 a pop minimum fee. (Didn't they used to be free?) So, I asked the fellow if he was familiar with the Hatbox Ghost and if he could draw the figure from memory. He told me point-blank and rather apologetically that, "Although the Hatbox Ghost is requested often, it is not an approved character. So, I cannot draw him for you. I am limited to characters that are approved by Disney."

I was shocked. Disney actually turned down a sale!!!!

Boy, when they kick characters out, they really kick them out.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 08-28-2011 at 01:14 AM.

• Inhospitable about happy

Nice pix. Love bw.

And THIS is how to do ghost-in-mirror, except it's a little too visual for the pre-Sťance portion.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

HBG2, I absolutely LOVE that concept, very scary! I don't mind that it's a bit too visual, it looks terrifying!

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Nice pix. Love bw.

And THIS is how to do ghost-in-mirror, except it's a little too visual for the pre-Sťance portion.
    Not subtle enough for that point in the attraction and of course it can't be done in exactly that way now due to the paranoid Disney lawyers.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Hmmm... Yes, might work nicely at the very start of the Attic, If they can keep the light blocked from getting back to the Ballroom glass. Would have to be recessed behind a wall outcropping or down at the end of a short "hallway".

That, or they have that space in the outside corner reserved for Hattie. And if he never shows again, they can't reserve the space forever... forever... forever...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Dapper Dan-nabe

What if we went a little different with the Mirror bit? If it was placed in Hattie's Alcove (not sure I like that term because it's not a great place for HBG, in my opinion, but I said it, anyway), like others have mentioned, it would need to be something more visual since we're in the post-Leota part of the ride. What if instead of just appearing in the mirror, the ghost (could be male or female, if we wanted to avoid Connie confusion) was actually coming THROUGH the mirror, maybe just an arm reaching through, or a whole torso. I think if the "mirror" had a rubbery, other-worldly texture (think the classic Mickey Mouse short "Thru the Mirror") and the ghost was just starting to poke through the membrane, it could be a really cool effect. Also, appropriately creepy for that section of the ride.

The internal narrative would be along the lines of, "Oh man, look at all those ghosts down there" -> "Holy crap! That ghost is making his way towards us; they're getting closer!" -> "There's an axe-murder's ghost right next to us! And is that creepy skeletal ghost whose head keeps disappearing going to hurt me?" (Okay, that last bit was just wishful thinking). Just thought that might be a cool twist to the effect.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDante View Post
    What if we went a little different with the Mirror bit?...What if instead of just appearing in the mirror, the ghost (could be male or female, if we wanted to avoid Connie confusion) was actually coming THROUGH the mirror, maybe just an arm reaching through, or a whole torso. I think if the "mirror" had a rubbery, other-worldly texture (think the classic Mickey Mouse short "Thru the Mirror") and the ghost was just starting to poke through the membrane, it could be a really cool effect.
    I think it would be too much like the bulging/breathing hallway doors before it and the cemetery/mausoleum arm with the trowel after it. I like the vapor-like form in the mirror pounding on the backside of the glass which really suggests another dimension and "breaking" free from it, not "pushing" or "passing through." But the apparition in the mirror needs to be less distinct than depicted in the video and its actions less frantic and violent, because it is horrifying -- too much so for the attraction.

The paranoid Disney lawyers, if there are any, need to get over it. Practically every illusion inside The Haunted Mansion can be attributed to some other source or resembles some other effect, dating back to who knows when.

---------- Post added 08-29-2011 at 01:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDante View Post
    "Holy crap! That ghost is making his way towards us; they're getting closer!" -> "There's an axe-murder's ghost right next to us! And is that creepy skeletal ghost whose head keeps disappearing going to hurt me?" (Okay, that last bit was just wishful thinking). Just thought that might be a cool twist to the effect.
    It's redundant to identify Connie verbally as an ax-murderess. The visuals are plain enough. And despite the fact that she's holding a weapon, I don't like the idea of stating that any one of The Haunted Mansion's characters might be physically harmful or actually threatening to "foolish mortals." It's more effective psychologically to let attraction visitors make their own assumptions.

---------- Post added 08-29-2011 at 01:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Nice pix. Love bw.
    Thank you. Me too. I snapped them in color and can upload those versions, if you'd like me to share them. The black and white was done with Photoshop.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 08-29-2011 at 01:44 PM.

A bit off topic but it looks like they may possibly be PLQuing the whole Magic Kingdom soon.

I like the effect and it would fit in perfectly right before Leota, with the spirits having a 'hard time coming through'. Why would the Disney lawyers have a hard time with this? Its pretty terrifying, yet fits in perfectly with the bulging doors and lets not forget the ghost corpse already semi-visible trying to get out of the coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNNYBIX38 View Post
    I like the effect and it would fit in perfectly right before Leota, with the spirits having a 'hard time coming through'. Why would the Disney lawyers have a hard time with this? Its pretty terrifying, yet fits in perfectly with the bulging doors and lets not forget the ghost corpse already semi-visible trying to get out of the coffin.
    Because a source outside the company came up with it so it cannot be done EXACTLY that way. One of the sad things is you cannot come up with good ideas for the attractions online and hope they get utilized anymore. Disney is too paranoid to use outside ideas due to fear of lawsuits etc.

• en pace

I personally like the idea of the mirror being in the CoD, and maybe having the mirror shake a bit each time the figure bangs on the glass; not violently, but with just enough force to imply that the ghost's desire to break free is starting to affect the corporeal world.

HMF - A bit off topic but it looks like they may possibly be PLQuing the whole Magic Kingdom soon.
    Why? What makes you think they're going to PLQ all of the Magic Kingdom?

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."
    - A.A. Milne

- HBG2

Requiescat, There is a possibility but it could be bad if not done properly, Look up Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom.

• en pace

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Requiescat, There is a possibility but it could be bad if not done properly, Look up Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom.
    You couldn't give me a brief description or something? Haha!

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom

Sorcerers of the Magic, which was talked about in Jeff Kober's article on MousePlanet, is most likely the name of an upcoming high-tech adventure. The phrase has been trademarked by Disney since November 2010, but has been in development for quite some time. This project has yet to be officially announced, so we're not sure of specific details, but we still have a general idea of what may happen.

It's rumored that the closed Fire Station on Main Street, U.S.A. will reopen as some sort of "hub/starting point" for this new game. There has been some chatter that this game may not use electronic devices (as Kim Possible's World Showcase Adventure does), but rather, a card/sheet or more recently, a wristband. The RFID wristband will play a key point in Disney's NextGen project, but it's unknown if it'll be used for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom.

Dizfanatic.com was able to share some interesting information and concept art regarding Disney's NextGen project and these RFID wristbands. (click the site link for the article) If the wristbands are part of the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, it's expected that they will activate various interactive screens around the park. You will then have to solve and complete various tasks, which may cause something around you to activate (like the cannons above Pirates).

Below we have a photo recap of everything going on at the Magic Kingdom for this rumored interactive game. While many areas are being worked on and prepared for this game, it doesn't appear that the actual technology has been installed. This could mean it's still in development or just not ready quite yet. You'll also notice that it's not just Adventureland where some work is going on, but also Liberty Square - which has recently seen the addition of an interactive graveyard at the Haunted Mansion (could those busts in the graveyard be a part of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom)?

discussionkingdom.com/forums
    It seems like an interesting idea. However, my faith has been greatly shaken in TDO's discretion and artistic intuition, and I doubt whether they'll be be able to pull off installing a large-scale, overarching game without disrupting the "feel" of the surrounding areas. If the new HM queue is an example of what this will look like, I'm not optimistic.

- A.A. Milne

- HBG2

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM