Page 311 of 593 FirstFirst ... 211261286301308309310311312313314321336361411 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,665 of 8890

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Ha. By the time they finally get the thing up and running, "NextGen" will be "ThisGen," and teens being the fickle types they often are, the next "NextGen" may say, "OMG, that 'interactive' crap is SOOO five years ago; we're all about __________."

My brother sent me a couple pix he took at the D23 thing.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

^ There was also a couple dressed as Constance and the graveyard caretaker.

• Larger Than (After)Life

The stunning pair of Tightrope Girl and Hatbox Ghost, Jr. are two of my Facebook pals, Robin Boyd-Duhe and her son, Jonah. They seem to be quite good costumers, portraying a number of Disney and other characters. Her daughter Demi runs two Etsy stores and has a flair for fashion as well:

I'm rather fond of them all.

You can see more of their spooktacular D23 costumes at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/animenu...7627537958312/
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 08-29-2011 at 11:24 PM.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Ok, the storm is over, the power is back on, and the basement has been drained, I think it is time to post my report. I will post my pictures as soon as possible. Let's get started:

The Mansion itself is beautiful. I am not going to compare it to the WDW one because it is like comparing apples and oranges. The foyer is wonderful, just based on the fact that cast members completely fill it before the GH's spiel starts. However, the spiel in the stretching room starts too early (and is not loud enough) not allowing guests to hear the infamous line "Welcome Foolish Mortals". The left stretching room is just fine, but the one one the right has several wrinkles in both the wallpaper and the portraits. Unlike WDW, guests actually have the chance to see the corpse swinging in the rafters before the lights go out. By far, my favorite part of the mansion is the hallway of changing portraits. Being able to lag behind and enjoy the atmosphere is something that is really missing at WDW. Unfortunately, the best part of the mansion is followed by the worst, limbo. It did not feel like a boundless realm of mist and decay, but rather, a giant warehouse (the report doesn't get much better from this point on). The corridor of doors was lit too brightly (it was also hard to ignore the shining spotlights above you). Same goes for the seance room (the wires for the crystal ball and all of the instruments were clearly visible). The same especially goes for the ballroom. I was not happy to be able to see the rooms beneath and above the doombuggy reflected on the glass. The attic was ok, I love the shadow playing the piano, but constance is a clear FAIL (the projection is not as crisp as the WDW one). The Graveyard, you guessed it, was also too bright. When descending the attic window, the trees are lit from below and illuminate the ceiling. The scrims were dirty, had gum stuck to them, and were lit incorrectly, all resulting in the inability to see the graveyard ghosts. The singing busts are still not using the internal projections that WDW has. The graveyard and attic blast ups didn't seem to be feeling well. Neither blasted up. It is always nice to see the original HHG effect. Cherish it while you can. I like that you can see little leota while you are ascending the ramp. Very creepy.

All in all, I prefer the Disneyland park to WDW but find that the WDW mansion outranks the DL one (even with PLQ).

Oh yes, one last negative note; why don't they use Corey Burton for the "Please step out to your left" spiel at the end of the attraction? That woman's voice is so jarring and out of place.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    Oh yes, one last negative note; why don't they use Corey Burton for the "Please step out to your left" spiel at the end of the attraction? That woman's voice is so jarring and out of place.
    Corey steadfastly refuses to do any replacement work for Paul Frees since he considers all the original dialogue "sacred".

• Minion

I KNEW the difference in lighting between DL and WDW wasn't just my imagination!

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Anybody live near Kansas City? You might want to go to this.

You might want to anyway.

• Inhospitable about happy

Thanks for the report MG. It jibes with what others have said. No doubt they intend to limp along until HMH and then fix up some things for the return in January. At least let's hope so. And let's also hope they don't spring any "fun" surprises on us at the return.

I haven't been to WDW, but I gotta underscore part of the report and say it again: If you lag behind and let the crowd turn the corner, you get to stand all alone in the portrait hall for a short while. Step over here, step over there, look out the windows at the storm. It feels like a real house. There is just nothing like it.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Corey steadfastly refuses to do any replacement work for Paul Frees since he considers all the original dialogue "sacred".
    The irony is, that by refusing to re-create some of those lines, Corey Burton is in fact doing a disservice to the attraction, since they have to use someone else who sounds nothing like Paul Frees. Corey should lighten up and use his God-given talent to HELP the attraction, and not let someone else take away from it.

• en pace

First of all, I'm glad to hear that the storm is over and you're okay, MG13!

Second:
    The graveyard and attic blast ups didn't seem to be feeling well. Neither blasted up.
    I thought DLR didn't have the blast ups anymore... am I mistaken?
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNNYBIX38 View Post
    The irony is, that by refusing to re-create some of those lines, Corey Burton is in fact doing a disservice to the attraction, since they have to use someone else who sounds nothing like Paul Frees. Corey should lighten up and use his God-given talent to HELP the attraction, and not let someone else take away from it.
    To be precise, they hired the announcer from Freakazoid, Joe Leahy. While Freakazoid is an absolute classic, it's really distracting to hear this guy doing the safety spiel and stuff like the 40th event.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by RequiesCat View Post
    I thought DLR didn't have the blast ups anymore... am I mistaken?
    All blast-ups and pop-ups were removed from the attic when the Constance themeing went in.

When I was at The Haunted Mansion in Disneyland less than a week ago (rode it many times), all of the graveyard pop-ups and Ol' Blasty were working fine. It was dark inside the attraction, I could not see Leota's cables as I had the time before, and I did not notice any dirt, gum or gunk on scrims. I did, however, notice that the Seance Room ectoplasmic entity was either out-of-focus or had been swapped for an indiscernible blotch, and that the paint on the exit crypt's moving floors has all but rubbed off. But on POTC --

Carlos' wife was missing for most of the day, even though her dialogue could still be heard; and the last Jack Sparrow figure's lips didn't always move when he spoke.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    It was dark inside the attraction, I could not see Leota's cables as I had the time before, and I did not notice any dirt, gum or gunk on scrims.
    Have you ever been to WDW?

My mistake if I mentioned the blast up in the attic. My mind is a little scrambled at this point.

Oh, and as I was riding past the ghosty-go-round, I said to my companion (in a voice louder than I'd thought), "I sure hope they don't remove this," to which the mortals in the Doombuggies on either side of me replied, "WHAT!?"

---------- Post added 08-30-2011 at 07:57 PM ----------

Have you ever been to WDW?
    No, I have not. But, on August 25, I did not see the things that you mentioned.

---------- Post added 08-30-2011 at 08:07 PM ----------

I should add that I could see silhouettes of the ceiling works above Leota and the COD spots, but not Leota's cables.

Although I could not see any workings or AA room reflections in the Ballroom glass, I'll tell you what I did see that looked odd: the duelists' ghosts were clearly cut in half at their waists. Maybe I just never noticed it before. Is is supposed to be a clean line? It seems to me that their apparitions should fade at the waist, not look like they met up with a bad magician.

---------- Post added 08-30-2011 at 08:23 PM ----------

I did not go into the right elevator. I got the left one each time. The attraction might not have been running the right elevator on August 25. The ride did close for a while during the afternoon. The gates were shut and cast members were posted by them. That's how I managed to take photos with no crowds in the queue. Unfortunately, no one would tell me what happened. I was among the first few to go inside when it reopened.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 08-30-2011 at 07:10 PM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM