Page 313 of 606 FirstFirst ... 213263288303310311312313314315316323338363413 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,695 of 9082

• is too darn hot.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    This is purely a sympathy post. I always thought Empire Strikes Back was the only really good film in the bunch, although the original Star Wars was fresh and fun in its day. But I've nothing against those who love them more.

Empire was the only one with any real pathos.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• en pace

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    I actually admire his conviction on this. It's a slippery slope once you start messing around with it. They get him to record a little piece here and there, just for safety spiels or breakdowns, next thing you know they're re-writing portions of the script. Hold the line, Corey.
    Yeah, I guess right now it's best to err on the side of restraint. Now if there was enough discretion amongst the higher-ups that I could feel confident they wouldn't take an axe to the Mansion (pun was a happy coincidence) then it would be great. I would actually like to hear some slightly updated audio in Anaheim. As of right now... I'm hesitant.
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

• We Go On.

I've been to the WDW HM since '07 (not since le Queue. Bof!) and I can tell you that for at least 5 years or so WDW has had darker lighting. Every time I ride our Mansion I can distinguish the scrims from each other and the ceiling, something I couldn't do back East.

Also, MG13, I was under the impression that your singing busts were still front-projected but the image covered the entire sculpture to get rid of any seams. A quick fix that we need over here.

• Member of Baxter's Army

It's too bad there isn't more of that "don't mess with perfection" common sense going around.

Now Star Wars lovers can feel some of the same pain that HM fans have felt since the PLQ debut: George Lucas has put some "NOOOOO" 's into Darth Vader's mouth at the climax of Return of the Jedi, for the Blu-Ray edition. This is not a hoax:

Darth Vader's 'Nooo!' in Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (ACTUAL Blu-Ray Clip) - YouTube

The man has reeeely gone and lost it. Surely he must know that people were laughing out loud in theaters when DV did this at the end of Return of the Sith? I feel sorry for those who are both SW and HM fanatics (like Chef Mayhem, for example). For them, this is turning out to be a catastrophically bad year.
    Meh, a few extra lines of dialouge won't ruin the film for me. Besides I was not laughing in Episode 3 when Vader shouted NO!

---------- Post added 09-01-2011 at 03:29 AM ----------

Reportedly, Lucas has also replaced the rubber Yoda in Empire with a CG Yoda. So one of the most brilliant feats of hand-puppetry ever filmed becomes just another (yawn) CG marvel. Y'all can draw your own parallels with the HHG mirror effect.
    No, that was just for Episode 1.

"Master Gracey" is not supposed to be the master of the house, says X. Atencio:
    Over the years, cast members (and more than a few guests) have mistakenly believed that “Master Gracey” was the master of the haunted house—thanks to a tombstone in the graveyard written by X. Atencio, Imagineer and show writer for the attraction, that declares: “Master Gracey, laid to rest, no mourning please, at his request.”

Here’s is another example of how even good intentioned, well-meaning people can make bad decisions based on not understanding the story.

The belief that Gracey is the master of the mansion is so beguiling that it has retroactively been taken as fact so that even the live-action film starring Eddie Murphy, and based on the Disney attraction, tried to make it officially part of the story.

As X. Atencio has continually pointed out, at the turn of the century, the term “master” meant a boy too young to be called “mister.” There are many examples in literature including “Master Lord Fauntleroy." His fellow Imagineer was trying to offer a tribute to the boyish Yale, not make him the owner and master of the house. Some cast members have even gone so far as to indicate that the aging “Dorian Grey” style portrait is a representation of “Master Gracey” or that the hanging man in the stretching gallery is the “master.” None of those assumptions were intended by the original Imagineers.
    Full article: Ghostly Gracey: The Merlin of WED (Wade's Wayback Machine) by Wade Sampson

It seems when they gave Gracey a small grave in PLQ, they were keeping with the original intention.

Another thing: in the 2nd edition of Surrell's book, he doesn't identify the "aging man" foyer portrait as Master Gracey. He just says it's the master of the house.

So, ignoring the merchandise and fanon that says otherwise, that's not Master Gracey in the foyer portrait. Who is he?

My guess:
    "Our patriarch, Grandpa Marc."

---------- Post added 09-01-2011 at 01:27 AM ----------

Another guess:
    The guy in the coffin, whose name we don't know.
    This connection was previously made in the HM pop-up book.

---------- Post added 09-01-2011 at 01:47 AM ----------

Just so we're clear...

The "aging man" was the master of the mansion.

Master Gracey was not the master of the mansion, but a young boy.
    Therefore, he's not the "aging man."

And we all know the Ghost Host is not Master Gracey, or the "aging man," or master of the mansion.
    Last edited by SmellyOrangutan; 09-01-2011 at 12:31 AM.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

Although it was not the original intent of Imagineers, the 'Master Gracey' and 'aging portrait' connection has taken such a life of it's own that it is accepted as fact by everyone. Fans, Cast Members, even current Imagineers. The connection is now a fact, and the 'master' title is currently intentioned to represent the 'master' of an estate rather than a young boy.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    We haven't had faith in Lucas since the Special Editions of the original trilogy.
    I haven't had faith in Lucas since "The Star Wars Holiday Special."

• Minion

I've always believed this, and the changes made to the HM and the Star Wars movies when new technology came out reinforce it in my mind: limitations foster creativity.

• Cunning infiltrator

「不吉な乗り物」という名のドゥームバギーに乗って、館の中を進んでいきます。玄関から薄暗い 小部屋へ、ラ イブラリー、ミュージックルーム…。次々とあらわれる不気味な部屋と、そこにただよう幽霊たち 。怖いのに、 いつの間にか館のとりこになってしまいます。

Translation:

"Ominous ride" doom buggy ride named, will go inside the Hall. From the entrance to the dimly lit small room, library, music room .... And many appear next room and eerie, ghosts Tadayou there. But scary, the Museum will become hooked unawares.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    "Master Gracey" is not supposed to be the master of the house, says X. Atencio:

Full article: Ghostly Gracey: The Merlin of WED (Wade's Wayback Machine) by Wade Sampson

It seems when they gave Gracey a small grave in PLQ, they were keeping with the original intention.

Another thing: in the 2nd edition of Surrell's book, he doesn't identify the "aging man" foyer portrait as Master Gracey. He just says it's the master of the house.

So, ignoring the merchandise and fanon that says otherwise, that's not Master Gracey in the foyer portrait. Who is he?

My guess:
    "Our patriarch, Grandpa Marc."

---------- Post added 09-01-2011 at 01:27 AM ----------

Another guess:
    The guy in the coffin, whose name we don't know.
    This connection was previously made in the HM pop-up book.

---------- Post added 09-01-2011 at 01:47 AM ----------

Just so we're clear...

The "aging man" was the master of the mansion.

Master Gracey was not the master of the mansion, but a young boy.
    Therefore, he's not the "aging man."

And we all know the Ghost Host is not Master Gracey, or the "aging man," or master of the mansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    Although it was not the original intent of Imagineers, the 'Master Gracey' and 'aging portrait' connection has taken such a life of it's own that it is accepted as fact by everyone. Fans, Cast Members, even current Imagineers. The connection is now a fact, and the 'master' title is currently intentioned to represent the 'master' of an estate rather than a young boy.
    I agree with MG on this. I mean, he should know, right? But seriously, I do agree with him. Disney Imagineering creates the only "reality" that is actually there. The only time I reject WDI contributions is when some stoopid newer-generation Imagineer introduces something that is logically incompatible with what is already there. Because that situation forces you to choose one or the other. Identifying "Master Gracey" as the foyer portrait does not create any logical difficulties, and I think there is sufficient evidence that WDI has acquiesced to the overwhelming perception of the portrait as MG and has made it official, for all intents and purposes. They have allowed it to become official, you could say. If they have, then X's original intention is no longer relevant. It only would be so if there was a logical impossibility introduced by identifying the portrait as MG, but I don't see one. "Master" can refer to either a young boy or the owner of the manse. Keep in mind also, that if we insist on pressing the "original intention" button hard enough, even X falls in line. The epitaph is a wry tribute to the boyishness of a grown man.

I can't give any details, but I can tell you that the lengthening of MG's grave has a boring, mundane explanation, not a creative one.

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    limitations foster creativity.
    Damn straight.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    I haven't had faith in Lucas since "The Star Wars Holiday Special."
    But even Lucas despises the Holiday Special, not to mention hardly having anything to do with it beyond the simple idea of expanding on the Wookies that turned into something nuts.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Inhospitable about happy

Let's get Thready, shall we?

Speaking of Yale Gracey, here's some little-known HM trivia that goes back and beyond your typical, garden variety HM trivia.

Everyone knows that Yale and Rolly were inspired by the Pepper's Ghost trick in The Boy Mechanic. So, everyone has seen this book cover, right?

But did you know that this was only one volume in a series?

If you google around, you'll find that you can download all three books in their entirety. I've taken a quick look through them, but I haven't seen anything that looks like it was adapted for the HM. A closer combing-through might find something. There are a lot of magic tricks in there, btw.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Larger Than (After)Life

...limitations foster creativity.
    HECK, YES!!! It's what made Chaplin, Keaton and Chaney.

I want "Limitations foster creativity" on a t-shirt.

Spoiler
    Or, how about on a billboard right outside of TDO!?

• en pace

limitations foster creativity.
    My favorite example would be the effect the malfunctioning shark in Jaws had on the way Speilberg shot the film, which in turn, made for a much better movie!
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    The singing busts are still not using the internal projections that WDW has.
    Unless they've just recently changed, none of the Singing Busts (DL or WDW) are internal projections. They've always been, and still are front-projected. There would be no need to go to the trouble and expense of changing them to internal projection, as the busts are stationary figures, and don't move around like Leota does.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM