Page 315 of 583 FirstFirst ... 215265290305312313314315316317318325340365415 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,725 of 8743

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

For anyone interested, here are some pics I took a couple of weeks ago...

Not the best resolution - (Note to self: Don't take pictures with a disposable camera that expired in 2007!)

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I understand sarcasm/parody given recent activities by Disney, but apologies...I fail to find humor in that extreme of a statement myself. Sadly, that may well be what they want to hear in certain quarters of the Disney management/ideas department. Let's not encourage them.
    It's called gallows humor and I don't think you need to worry about Disney management scouring fan sites for sarcastic posts to give them ideas--I'm sure they can (and will) come up with much worse on their own.

Oh, and apologies accepted.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
    No, no, no, those ideas are terrible! Today's guest demands interactivity!!! What is needed is a cell-phone app that they can click and make the glasses clink! They can also select dialogue from a list of their favorite ghosts! Eventually YOU will be in charge of ALL the mansions effects!! Every trip will be a UNIQUE INTERACTIVE EXPERIENCE!
    Have you ever read Cory Doctorow's book Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom? It includes changes to the WDW Haunted Mansion very much in that vein, where every trip through is unique to the person who rides. Granted, that's not the main focus on the book, it's a very adept social commentary, but it's an interesting read nonetheless just for the behind the scenes aspect of it. It's available as a free ebook at his website and it's a fairly riveting read. Down and Out In the Magic Kingdom News
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• My prices are INSANE!

Do my leering eyes deceive me or is there a crucifix towering above the organ console?

I'd love to be in church and, suddenly, hear the organist break out into a rendition of "Grim Grinning Ghosts." It's probably only a venial sin, if that.

Any volunteers?
    I'm with you on this one.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post

Not the best resolution - (Note to self: Don't take pictures with a disposable camera that expired in 2007!)

(Pics)
    Actually, those look really cool! They look like they were taken sometime in the 80's. Great job!
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Have you ever read Cory Doctorow's book Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom? It includes changes to the WDW Haunted Mansion very much in that vein, where every trip through is unique to the person who rides. Granted, that's not the main focus on the book, it's a very adept social commentary, but it's an interesting read nonetheless just for the behind the scenes aspect of it. It's available as a free ebook at his website and it's a fairly riveting read. Down and Out In the Magic Kingdom News
    LOVE that book! It's the first thing I thought of when I learned they were replacing AAs with projections at the WDW Mansion.

• Minion

It might not be the film that was the issue. May have been the processing. I once used one of those disposable cameras - which was not expired - and the prints were terrible. Took the negatives somewhere else and had reprints made, and they were great! Apparently, the chemicals in the machine at the first place had expired.

Regardless, these can easily be corrected in PhotoShop. They're really nice photos (other than the last, blurry one.)

• Closed Account

Those pics look awesome in fact. As a photographer and photo editor myself, I can say they look vintage from the processing with a yellow hue or tint to them that can usually only be duplicated through editing software.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Do my leering eyes deceive me or is there a crucifix towering above the organ console?

I'd love to be in church and, suddenly, hear the organist break out into a rendition of "Grim Grinning Ghosts." It's probably only a venial sin, if that.

Any volunteers?
    Churches often give recitals of secular music.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    It might not be the film that was the issue. May have been the processing. I once used one of those disposable cameras - which was not expired - and the prints were terrible. Took the negatives somewhere else and had reprints made, and they were great! Apparently, the chemicals in the machine at the first place had expired.

Regardless, these can easily be corrected in PhotoShop. They're really nice photos (other than the last, blurry one.)
    Yes, I thought that the processing place might be to blame - some of the photos were cut improperly, so that the bottom half of one photo was on the top half of another, and so on! However, I didn't realize they could reprocess the film. I thought it was a one-shot kind of deal.

Any suggestions as to where to get these re-processed? I took these to Walgreens, so that's out. Also any suggestions for Photoshop fixing, I would love to hear about it.

Also, thanks for all the kind comments!

• Pants Club Treasurer

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Let's get Thready, shall we?

Speaking of Yale Gracey, here's some little-known HM trivia that goes back and beyond your typical, garden variety HM trivia.

Everyone knows that Yale and Rolly were inspired by the Pepper's Ghost trick in The Boy Mechanic. So, everyone has seen this book cover, right?

But did you know that this was only one volume in a series?

If you google around, you'll find that you can download all three books in their entirety. I've taken a quick look through them, but I haven't seen anything that looks like it was adapted for the HM. A closer combing-through might find something. There are a lot of magic tricks in there, btw.
    HBG2 - Forgive me if these have been posted before and noted as "close, but not close enough". Figured I would chime in and see. Have you seen these pictures on Flickr (courtesy of silverwolf)? The book with the red cover may indeed be the one. Can you check your downloaded versions to see what you have on page 52? I'm curious to see if the section on the miniature Pepper's Ghost illusion is noted there, and if it would also make sense on a larger scale. An easier to read version of the illusion is shown here.

• Minion

Yes, I thought that the processing place might be to blame - some of the photos were cut improperly, so that the bottom half of one photo was on the top half of another, and so on! However, I didn't realize they could reprocess the film. I thought it was a one-shot kind of deal.

Any suggestions as to where to get these re-processed? I took these to Walgreens, so that's out. Also any suggestions for Photoshop fixing, I would love to hear about it.

Also, thanks for all the kind comments!
    Well no - they cannot "re-process" the film. About all that can be done is take the negatives elsewhere for reprinting. They can manually go through each picture and make corrections to them and then print them out. The mis-cut negatives can often be fixed in PhotoShop. Have those printed as well, and then scan them in. The cut lines can then usually be erased.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Some higher end camera stores have attached or affiliated labs that do photo finishing which is not negative processing but reprinting. Pictures can be cropped, reduced and enlarged as you like without altering the actual negative. Exposure (density) is corrected and the color (cyan, magenta, yellow) are adjusted to yield a better photograph. If you have enlargements made, areas within the frame can even be dodged and burned. You will be surprised by the quality of prints that can be gotten from old, heat exposed and discolored negatives.

---------- Post added 09-06-2011 at 08:06 PM ----------

If you're seeing tops and bottoms of negative frames in your pictures, chances are that the negatives are fine. The film was just misaligned inside the carrier when it ran through the production printer or the prints were cut improperly. A lot of high volume photo labs are automated now, so this stuff happens. Hold your negatives up to the light and take a look at them. If you see solid, uncut frames, the problem was in the printing or the print cutting.

---------- Post added 09-06-2011 at 09:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Churches often give recitals of secular music.
    Yeah, but I'm not talking about during a recital.

So I want to propose a question. What about the Haunted Mansion draws everyone on this thread to it? The history, the ride, an experience, the atmosphere or what?

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Trinitys Ghost View Post
    HBG2 - Forgive me if these have been posted before and noted as "close, but not close enough". Figured I would chime in and see. Have you seen these pictures on Flickr (courtesy of silverwolf)? The book with the red cover may indeed be the one. Can you check your downloaded versions to see what you have on page 52? I'm curious to see if the section on the miniature Pepper's Ghost illusion is noted there, and if it would also make sense on a larger scale. An easier to read version of the illusion is shown here.
    Yes, that's the book and that's the page.

I also like the look of those photos, especially the first two. Attractive interplay between yellow and green in the foliage. Funeral cypresses came out particularly nice.

Meaningless but fun GIF for the day. I was intrigued by the ballroom chandelier in the now-infamous HBG home movies, which is only visible by its lights. I thought I'd snoop through my photos and see if I could find one that might line up with the chandelier in the film in one or another frame. Couldn't find anything exact, but this Daveland photo is darn close. It's fun to bear in mind that there are about 40 years between these two shots.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM