Page 316 of 559 FirstFirst ... 216266306313314315316317318319326366416 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,740 of 8374

• is too darn hot.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by Evanator View Post
    So I want to propose a question. What about the Haunted Mansion draws everyone on this thread to it? The history, the ride, an experience, the atmosphere or what?
    Yes.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Yes.
    Quite.

• Inhospitable about happy

So I want to propose a question. What about the Haunted Mansion draws everyone on this thread to it? The history, the ride, an experience, the atmosphere or what?
    The interplay between the different moods and atmospheres, due to artistic differences among the Imagineers about what the HM should be. The unresolved tensions are endlessly intriguing and are a strength in a haunted house environment, which is supposed to be unsettling and elusive. The fact that the Imagineers involved were superb artists means that all of the various veins are worth exploring.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    The interplay between the different moods and atmospheres, due to artistic differences among the Imagineers about what the HM should be. The unresolved tensions are endlessly intriguing and are a strength in a haunted house environment, which is supposed to be unsettling and elusive. The fact that the Imagineers involved were superb artists means that all of the various veins are worth exploring.
    I hadn't quite thought about conflicts in interests of the Imagineers, but now that I think about it, there is distinct changes in the tone throughout the experience. I personally don't like the projected face bride, and I liked previous versions better.

So where would I be able to find some reading material or information about the Imagineers wanting and making different changes throughout the years? It seems like a very interesting topic.

• there's always my way...

For me it would be that this ride remains in whole unaltered since I was a wee lad. This ride brings back so much happiness for me. Love it.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

Personally, it is the same reason I re-read a classic book - every time I ride, I get a slightly different experience; something I didn't see before, different adjustments in lighting, the atmospheric qualities, etc. I also appreciate the vast amount of history and stories behind the attraction - I don't think there would be enough text for seven iterations of "The Long-Forgotten Snow White's Scary Adventures​ Effect" threads!

• Larger Than (After)Life

Google has a nice scanned copy of "The Boy Mechanic: Volume 1" available for viewing and free download at:

The Boy Mechanic...: Things For Boys ... - Google Books

But like HBG2 said, it's available for free download from a number of websites. I just happen to like Google's.

• Minion

I hadn't quite thought about conflicts in interests of the Imagineers, but now that I think about it, there is distinct changes in the tone throughout the experience. I personally don't like the projected face bride, and I liked previous versions better.

So where would I be able to find some reading material or information about the Imagineers wanting and making different changes throughout the years? It seems like a very interesting topic.
    I would recommend The Hatbox Ghost's blog:
    Long-Forgotten

I wasn't thinking about what subsequent Imagineers have done so much as I was thinking about what the original planners and builders did. There were several teams involved, with competing concepts, and the finished attraction does not resolve all of these conflicts neatly. When the ride opened, the Imagineers frankly thought they had created a dud, an unfocused hodge-podge, lacking artistic unity and suffering for it. It was only with the passage of years that the unique qualities of this attraction began to be fully appreciated, first by the public (including future Imagineers!) and only later by the creators of the thing. In another ride, the unresolved creative tensions would have diminished the whole, but in a haunted house, it works to advantage. The HM never quite lets you decide if it is benign or sinister at its core. Even though it starts out scary and ends up silly, you still wonder at the end if the fun-loving ghosts are really showing all their cards. I mean, even at their jolliest, they still are inviting you to get yourself dead ASAP, right? Doesn't Little Leota at the ride's end say her lines as if she had a dagger behind her back? Likewise the Ghost Host.

There is also the matter of a physical, realistic, and immersive representation of things that you are supposed to suspect might be "your imagination." So how literal is your reading of this text supposed to be? It's not easy to say. Something in the back of your mind is trying to draw these lines, trying to "get it," but the answers remain elusive. The ride teases you back again and again, because part of you is still trying to get a feel for what the essential presentation is all about, but you can never quite put your finger on it.

Plus, the sheer number of top Imagineers involved and the length of the gestation process resulted in an unusually high quantity of first-rate concept art, much of it quite beautiful and intriguing.

Two indispensable sources for anyone dipping their toes into Mansionology:

Doombuggies.com
    Surrell's book

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I would recommend The Hatbox Ghost's blog:
    Long-Forgotten
    TheHatboxGhost's blog is "Dorian Gray's Painting Is Not Alone."

"Long-Forgotten" is HBG2's blog.

• Mr. Ghost

I have to say, maybe the whole experience of the Mansion. From a wee lad, I was drawn to and terrified of this thing. It's hard to describe..... This big hulking entity, lurking in the shadows of my mind. Among my friends and I, the Haunted Mansion has a reputation. Was it the scariest ride ever?

Another point I have to make is a testament to the imagineers of that original HM that stage magic and 19th century illusions still baffle us in this age of computers and high tech things. Do you know of anyone who is not on the edge of their Doombuggy during the Ballroom scene? Like is anyone not impressed? I was on the edge of my seat. Baffled by light and shadow, smoke and mirrors.

• Minion

What drew me to the Mansion was "The Story and Song From The Haunted Mansion" record album. It was actually on the flip side of another record, "Trick Or Treat" in 1974. I found out about a year later it was originally issued as a full-length record with an 11-page booklet, and I special-ordered it. The story, the sounds, the artwork were all so creepy and fascinating - and extremely well done. By far, THE best Storyteller album Disneyland Records ever produced. However, I still had no idea that it was based on a Disneyland attraction. Until about 1977, I thought it was nothing more than a story on a record. I was ecstatic when I discovered that the Mansion was a "real" place I could actually visit!

I was only slightly disappointed when I finally rode it for the first time at WDW in July, 1978. The facade was totally different from the record cover (I had no clue why at the time). Then, when I got to the attic scene, there was no Hatbox Ghost. Bummer. I was pleasantly surprised with additional scenes that weren't on the Lp, and that sort of balanced out the lack of the Hatbox Ghost. I was hooked on The Mansion. I wanted to live there (still do)!

Even when I do know how they do the effects, I still like them. I love that they are real objects that look so ghostly- CGI still doesn't hold a candle to those "ancient" illusions.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Now this post is a real off-topic item, and after it blows over I hope we pick up this topic and continue with it. So put a mental bookmark here.

OFF TOPIC OFF TOPIC OFF TOPIC
    I consider you regular Threadsters my friends, and sometimes you have to blow off steam with your friends. I've just become the victim of an academic screwing. I submitted my doctoral dissertation to an academic publisher, hoping to have it published in a well-known and well-respected series. The general editor (my contact) distributed copies to three (or four? hard to tell) scholars knowledgeable in my field for review. That was late last spring. Yesterday I got the bad news: the MS was rejected. The editor said it was an extraordinarily hard call, but the committee's opinions were so divided that he had to say "no." (And they don't reconsider resubmissions, so you've got one shot.) He attached the reviews, all anonymous of course. All but one of them were positive, even enthusiastic, and thought it should be published. Some of them had some serious, cogent criticisms, but all things that could be corrected. But one reviewer was extremely negative. Apparently, he/she didn't like the thesis or knows me and doesn't like me and decided to spike the book. The review simply makes silly things up out of thin air and accuses me of advancing these "bizarre" theses. I'm not exaggerating. There are accusations that are invented out of whole cloth, with not a word in the book that could possibly be construed as saying such a thing. One particularly dumb thing I am accused of saying is followed by a page number: "I find it ridiculous that he would suggest xxxxx (p. 77)." Page 77 was simply picked at random. Nothing on it even comes near the topic of xxxx. Why didn't I engage book XYZ by scholar JoeBlow anywhere in my book? (Of course I did.) I replied to the editor that the review simply makes things up, but he's a busy guy and those remarks are bound to go down in his mind as sore-loser whining, and he probably won't go back and investigate. So there you go. Skeeee rude, and royally so.

OFF TOPIC OFF TOPIC OFF TOPIC

• My prices are INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    TheHatboxGhost's blog is "Dorian Gray's Painting Is Not Alone."

"Long-Forgotten" is HBG2's blog.
    Thanks for posting links to these blogs.
    I've read both completely from front to back.

As a side note to it. I'm now fascinated with the ancient Japanese art of Bunraku puppetry which was mentioned in one of the posts.

Love it!
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM