Page 319 of 592 FirstFirst ... 219269294309316317318319320321322329344369419 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,785 of 8866

• is too darn hot.

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Now this post is a real off-topic item, and after it blows over I hope we pick up this topic and continue with it. So put a mental bookmark here.

OFF TOPIC OFF TOPIC OFF TOPIC
    I consider you regular Threadsters my friends, and sometimes you have to blow off steam with your friends. I've just become the victim of an academic screwing. I submitted my doctoral dissertation to an academic publisher, hoping to have it published in a well-known and well-respected series. The general editor (my contact) distributed copies to three (or four? hard to tell) scholars knowledgeable in my field for review. That was late last spring. Yesterday I got the bad news: the MS was rejected. The editor said it was an extraordinarily hard call, but the committee's opinions were so divided that he had to say "no." (And they don't reconsider resubmissions, so you've got one shot.) He attached the reviews, all anonymous of course. All but one of them were positive, even enthusiastic, and thought it should be published. Some of them had some serious, cogent criticisms, but all things that could be corrected. But one reviewer was extremely negative. Apparently, he/she didn't like the thesis or knows me and doesn't like me and decided to spike the book. The review simply makes silly things up out of thin air and accuses me of advancing these "bizarre" theses. I'm not exaggerating. There are accusations that are invented out of whole cloth, with not a word in the book that could possibly be construed as saying such a thing. One particularly dumb thing I am accused of saying is followed by a page number: "I find it ridiculous that he would suggest xxxxx (p. 77)." Page 77 was simply picked at random. Nothing on it even comes near the topic of xxxx. Why didn't I engage book XYZ by scholar JoeBlow anywhere in my book? (Of course I did.) I replied to the editor that the review simply makes things up, but he's a busy guy and those remarks are bound to go down in his mind as sore-loser whining, and he probably won't go back and investigate. So there you go. Skeeee rude, and royally so.

OFF TOPIC OFF TOPIC OFF TOPIC
    Sounds like you were the victim of professional jealousy. I'm willing to bet that this editor was upset that his/her dissertation wasn't nearly as good as yours and wanted to torpedo yours for that reason. Academia is a horrible, horrible place.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Here's three impressive and recent artistic representations of our old friend. Two of them score big points for their highly original interpretations, and one of those two is displayed here with the preliminary sketch as well. I'm too lazy right now to provide all the links, etc. Google images of "Hatbox Ghost" and you'll find them quickly enough.

THBG has pointed out in the past the possibility of influence from the lost 1927 film, "London After Midnight," on the HBG character. More and more I'm convinced that's it true. The extant stills frequently pair up the Chaney character with the female lead (vampire, supposedly). She looks little like the attic bride in any incarnation, it's true, but the mere fact that they are paired up continually and that some of the scenes resemble HM environs (like the attic) is striking. Also, if you see stills that show the whole figure uncropped, the HBG resemblance is impressive.

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

Gee, does that area where he is standing look familiar?
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_q4TyA2b9nX.../s400/HMHR.gif

I haven't been following the Thread from the beginning, so excuse mynaïveté if this topic has already been covered.
    HBG2, I know you have some newspaper clippings from the opening of the Haunted Mansion, but would you (or anyone else, for that matter) be interested in all of the clippings I have found? I could post them here on the Thread, but they might take up a couple of posts. I just thought I'd ask before cluttering up the board.

• Larger Than (After)Life

I'm really sorry to read about what happened, HBG2. It's incredibly unfair, uncalled for and unprofessional. I concur with other MiceChatters that you are the victim of academic and intellectual jealousy. Although it's disheartening now, it might lead to something greater. In fact, I'm inclined to believe that it will.

I'm glad that you're finally agreeing with me about Lon Chaney. Not only do I believe that The Man in the Beaver Hat from "London After Midnight" inspired The Hatbox Ghost, I belief that Singapore Joe from "The Road To Mandalay" was the basis for more than one Pirates of the Caribbean character, but mainly this one:

You can really see the similarity once the wig and beard are removed. But since this is a Haunted Mansion thread, tell me that this isn't The Hatbox Ghost:

In a nutshell, I'm convinced that one or more of the original Imagineers, if not Walt Disney himself, were BIG-TIME Lon Chaney fans, as am I.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 09-13-2011 at 06:12 AM. Reason: I mizspelt wurds.

Trivia
    Philip Sgriccia was approached to develop a possible Haunted Mansion reboot at one point.
    What was super cool was we got a personal tour of the Haunted Mansion ride with some Imagineers and NO riders. We walked through the ride - I was literally standing in the graveyard and could examine up close all the set pieces. I also got loads of the original scripts, design, art...it was geek heaven.

I'm thrilled that they are doing another one, and I believe it will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    I haven't been following the Thread from the beginning, so excuse mynaïveté if this topic has already been covered.
    HBG2, I know you have some newspaper clippings from the opening of the Haunted Mansion, but would you (or anyone else, for that matter) be interested in all of the clippings I have found? I could post them here on the Thread, but they might take up a couple of posts. I just thought I'd ask before cluttering up the board.
    Post away! There are plenty of repeats in the Thread, which is too long for anyone to remember what all is in it, or where something in particular might be.

By the way, I think there's another Lon Chaney - Haunted Mansion connection:

Here are those newspaper clippings I have. I know I have more somewhere, but I don't know where. Will post them if I find them.

[IMG] [/IMG]

---------- Post added 09-13-2011 at 12:10 PM ----------

Oh, and does everyone remember the book "The Vale of Cedars" in the attic? Here is an epub of it, if anyone is interested:

The Vale of Cedars by Grace Aguilar - Project Gutenberg

I can't remember, is it in the DL as well as the WDW attic, or just in WDW?
    Last edited by ww12345; 09-13-2011 at 12:33 PM.

For any mortals who might be interested, there are more Hatbox Ghost art images at:

The Hatbox Ghost's Facebook Wall Photos Album

The Hatbox Ghost's Flickr Favorites

I have posted some of the images on MiceChat before, including in this thread, so there will be redundancies.

---------- Post added 09-13-2011 at 02:30 PM ----------

Those articles are GREAT! Thanks for sharing them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    By the way, I think there's another Lon Chaney - Haunted Mansion connection:

Unless I am mistaken that is from Phantom Manor, which in turn lifts some things from Phantom of the Opera. So reference could be to Paris Opera House as well. Then again this type of stairs are not that unique, so it might be not be related to the subject matter at all.

Those articles are GREAT! Thanks for sharing them.
    No problem!

On the topic of the Walt Disney/Lon Chaney obsession, didn't the Main Street cinema play the Lon Chaney "Phantom of the Opera" for a while?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

No problem!

On the topic of the Walt Disney/Lon Chaney obsession, didn't the Main Street cinema play the Lon Chaney "Phantom of the Opera" for a while?
    Yes, as well as having a live "Phantom" character out front who would pretend to be a wax-work and startle guests from a few accounts.

As for the stairs, it could well be related, but those type of curving stairs are "must-haves" for many a horror film...the HM movie itself had that style staircase, as well as the more recent remake of The Haunting, del Toro's produced version of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, etc etc. Could be a homage, but that style is definitely in the typical "haunted house" architecture shorthand.

Here are those newspaper clippings I have. I know I have more somewhere, but I don't know where. Will post them if I find them.

[/IMG]

---------- Post added 09-13-2011 at 12:10 PM ----------

Oh, and does everyone remember the book "The Vale of Cedars" in the attic? Here is an epub of it, if anyone is interested:

The Vale of Cedars by Grace Aguilar - Project Gutenberg

I can't remember, is it in the DL as well as the WDW attic, or just in WDW?
    Vale of Cedars is/was only at WDW, as far as I know.

Thanks for posting the clippings. I didn't have some of them. I'm particularly interested in the first of the two above. The copy is identical to the second clipping, but I know for a fact that the second is LA Times 8-12-69, so I'm wondering if the first would also be LA Times 8-12-69, as you have it labeled? Possibly the article appeared in more than one place in the same day's paper—morning and evening editions, perhaps? It's a very interesting clipping, because I have argued elsewhere that that photo probably dates from the official opening day (Tuesday the 12th), but if it really did appear with that article ("starting today..."), the photo must have been taken over the previous weekend (Saturday the 9th, Sunday the 10th, or possibly Monday the 11th).

A couple more thoughts on London After Midnight. If the Chaney character is really an inspiration for the HBG, I should think we ought to look more to the HBG prototype than to the production figure in our comparisons:

There is more than a touch of irony here. LAM is one of the most famous, perhaps THE most famous "lost film." The last known copy was destroyed in a fire in 1967, just two years before the HM opened. Since then film buffs have hoped that some day it might return. Surely a copy will show up in someone's collection somewhere, or in an archive, or on a dusty shelf in the closet of an old theater. Keep the faith; LAM will return. The film is as much a legend because of its lost status as it is on its own merits.

Remind anyone of a HM character we know?

In a nutshell, I'm convinced that one or more of the original Imagineers, if not Walt Disney himself, were BIG-TIME Lon Chaney fans, as am I.
    I can see that! Love these posts you guys go into length over with lots of research.
    Also, does this pic remind anyone else of John Malcovich? LOL

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM