Page 320 of 649 FirstFirst ... 220270295310317318319320321322323330345370420 ... LastLast
Results 4,786 to 4,800 of 9731

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Unrelated to current discussion, but a nice photo of one of the things Imagineering did right for the WDW queue:

Haunted Mansion -- Disney World by lynrc, on Flickr
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Thanks for posting the clippings. I didn't have some of them. I'm particularly interested in the first of
    the two above. The copy is identical to the second clipping, but I know for a fact that the second is LA Times 8-12-69, so I'm wondering if the first would also be LA Times 8-12-69, as you have it labeled? Possibly the article appeared in more than one place in the same day's paper—morning and evening editions, perhaps? It's a very interesting clipping, because I have argued elsewhere that that photo probably dates from the official opening day (Tuesday the 12th), but if it really did appear with that article ("starting today..."), the photo must have been taken over the previous weekend (Saturday the 9th, Sunday the 10th, or possibly Monday the 11th).
    Yes, the first clipping is also the LA Times, Aug. 12, 1969. Whoever was running the ad campaign for the Haunted Mansion knew what they were doing, because a lot of the clippings I came across were from either opening day or the day after. Possibly the LA Times ran the stories in both the morning and evening editions, I don't know too much about that. I'll look and see when I get to my home computer if I can get more info on when each of those photos were published (time and edition).

Here are some pictures of the Main Street Cinema, with the Lon Chaney character, as well as the marquee advertising the "Phantom of the Opera" film.

[IMG] [/IMG]
    Last edited by ww12345; 09-13-2011 at 04:17 PM.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I particularly like this passage from the Richard Buffum review on the previous page:

"Our favorite spectercle was this Grand Hall, populated by a variety of ghosts who looked as we imagined ghosts should look... They are the most concrete intangibles that ever came into nonexistence. The illusion is perfect. You can see straight through them. Yet their visages and costuming are clearly discernable."

"Concrete intangibles." Yes, yes. Not there, but really, really there. Still wows 'em.

I agree. One of the best effects in the Haunted Mansion, and done without any computer assistance. A tribute to the genius that was Yale Gracey.

Oh, by the way, I don't know if this problem was ever solved, so I'll try to solve it now. Someone way back in the thread said that by going through the emergency/chicken exit in the Portrait Corridor, you could (if you were foolish) touch the bush which is in the "thunderstorm" outside. I remember lots of arguing, but I don't remember a definitive answer. Because of this, I attempted to find out for myself; here is a very roughly drawn sketch of what you find on the other side of the "Chicken Exit" door. You CAN in fact touch the bush (if you were looking for trouble). I went through the exit near the load area, so I was too cautious to actually get very close to the bush, but here is the area as I remember it.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by ww12345; 09-13-2011 at 04:49 PM.

• Inhospitable about happy

There was a brief flurry of discussion about whether you could touch anything in the previous window (the cyclorama), but it soon emerged that you can't. That you can see the bush (really just a few twigs) on the other side, however, is well-known. There are lots of pix:

---------- Post added 09-13-2011 at 06:33 PM ----------

Incidentally, did everyone catch the howler in the 9/69 article by Larry Townsend? They once served fried chicken at the HM building! That's the worst of several subsequent confusions concerning the Swift's Chicken Plantation restaurant, torn down in 1962. Usually you hear that it was torn down to make way for the HM, which is supposedly on the same site. In reality, they're not even close. The Chicken Plantation was slightly to the right of the POTC entrance as you're looking at it from the front.

---------- Post added 09-13-2011 at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    For any mortals who might be interested, there are more Hatbox Ghost art images at:

The Hatbox Ghost's Facebook Wall Photos Album

The Hatbox Ghost's Flickr Favorites

I have posted some of the images on MiceChat before, including in this thread, so there will be redundancies.
    That's quite a collection, but I didn't see this one anywhere:

Last edited by HBG2; 09-13-2011 at 05:34 PM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Vale of Cedars is/was only at WDW, as far as I know.
    This is one of the times I miss GRD since he could go in and confirm if it is still there or not.

By the way, where is GRD? I remember seeing lots of posts in the Thread, but nothing now. Also, his website is gone, and just the archive of the blog remains.

---------- Post added 09-13-2011 at 08:36 PM ----------

@HBG2: The quip about the HM being the former "Chicken Plantation" wasn't the only error in that article. Did you see the line about the ride taking place on several levels beneath the house? They guessed the elevator part right, but they missed the corridor to the huge showbuilding.

OK, earlier today when I clarified that both of those clippings were the LA Times, and I said I had to check on my computer at home, here's what I found. The clipping with the picture of the Mansion is attributed to the LA Times, Aug. 12, 1969, on pg. OC A1. The other clipping, with the organist, is also attributed to the LA Times, Aug. 12, 1969, but from pg. A1. I assume these are separate sections of the paper - I don't get the LA Times, so I don't know. Maybe the OC is for an Orange County section of the paper?
    Last edited by ww12345; 09-13-2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Another thought regarding OC

As for GRD, he works for Disney now, and they don't much like their employees doing blogs or talking too much on chatboards. Plus, like it or not, the Thread is now radioactive for anyone hoping to get into WDI someday, thanks to our outspokenness about PLQ. The price of candor. Thus they persecuted the prophets before you.

Just for fun, shall we get into crazy Claude Coats conspiracy mode? I noticed these while watching my copy of Song of the South the other day - which for those of you who don't know, featured an arguable "Who's Who" of WED and Haunted Mansion folklore, including Claude Coats - and noticed the particular architecture of the house in Song of the South almost exactly matches the Haunted Mansion in design. Check out the similarities between the minor things like the shutters being the same green color, and the porch lamp being identical, but the main one is the door. Look at the door on the blueprint, then look at the door from the film. Nearly identical. The only thing that I can see that is different is the windows on either side of the door.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Now this film was released in 1946, so there is absolutely no real connection between the two, but interesting nonetheless, seeing as the film crew later built the Mansion as we know it today.

It also ties Splash Mountain in, thematically. (just kidding)

• Larger Than (After)Life

RE: Hatbox Ghost Images

Thanks, HBG2. With the exception of the few uploads in my "photostream," the images on Flickr are ones I just marked as favorites. I do have that particular HBG image on my hard drive, along with many others, but haven't yet uploaded it anywhere. The images on Facebook are photos that I found online and added to my profile. There are only a few that I've taken myself.

I really appreciate the sharing of images in this forum and thank everyone who does. Many of these pictures are new to me and I don't tire of the old ones.

• Yoiks!

Cool images and articles.
    I'm all for posting and reposting things. I think it is important to remember that everything is new to someone and who knows, maybe your images are cropped differently and show new or clearer details. There are a lot of photos from the early threads that have been deleted.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    Just for fun, shall we get into crazy Claude Coats conspiracy mode? I noticed these while watching my copy of Song of the South the other day - which for those of you who don't know, featured an arguable "Who's Who" of WED and Haunted Mansion folklore, including Claude Coats - and noticed the particular architecture of the house in Song of the South almost exactly matches the Haunted Mansion in design. Check out the similarities between the minor things like the shutters being the same green color, and the porch lamp being identical, but the main one is the door. Look at the door on the blueprint, then look at the door from the film. Nearly identical. The only thing that I can see that is different is the windows on either side of the door.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Now this film was released in 1946, so there is absolutely no real connection between the two, but interesting nonetheless, seeing as the film crew later built the Mansion as we know it today.

It also ties Splash Mountain in, thematically. (just kidding)
    Actually, the lanterns do not match. They are somewhat similar, but are clearly different in style and construction. The movie's lanterns are square in shape; the Mansion's are round. The brackets in the movie are of an angle or "L" shaped; the Mansion's lantern brackets are curved, and much more ornate.

The front door of the mansion in SOTS also matches the front door of Tara, the house from "Gone With The Wind".
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 09-14-2011 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    OK, earlier today when I clarified that both of those clippings were the LA Times, and I said I had to check on my computer at home, here's what I found. The clipping with the picture of the Mansion is attributed to the LA Times, Aug. 12, 1969, on pg. OC A1. The other clipping, with the organist, is also attributed to the LA Times, Aug. 12, 1969, but from pg. A1. I assume these are separate sections of the paper - I don't get the LA Times, so I don't know. Maybe the OC is for an Orange County section of the paper?
    I suppose it's something like that. Maybe you got (still get?) a local section for the area in which you live, along with the main paper. That particular clipping is a find, and I've revised the "Opening Day Photo" post at my blog.

It was Marc Davis who just decided to open the HM early, and he personally drew some of the ads you see, which ran in the LA Times. I suppose a Times photog was on hand for the Saturday 9th opening, and he took that shot, and they used it on the 12th. It was their own photo; they didn't need to get it from Disney, see?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Actually, the lanterns do not match. They are somewhat similar, but are clearly different in style and construction. The movie's lanterns are square in shape; the Mansion's are round. The brackets in the movie are of an angle or "L" shaped; the Mansion's lantern brackets are curved, and much more ornate.

The front door of the mansion in SOTS also matches the front door of Tara, the house from "Gone With The Wind".
    Ah, I didn't notice the small details between the lanterns. Good eye! I also didn't realize the front door was also in "Gone With the Wind." I still haven't seen that movie (yet). Is the rest of the house similar? I remember reading that SotS was shot in AZ, so I don't know if they recycled parts from "Gone With the Wind." I am guessing not.

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 10:28 AM ----------

@HBG2: Thanks for giving me credit on your blog!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM