Page 321 of 559 FirstFirst ... 221271311318319320321322323324331371421 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,815 of 8380

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    Ah, I didn't notice the small details between the lanterns. Good eye! I also didn't realize the front door was also in "Gone With the Wind." I still haven't seen that movie (yet). Is the rest of the house similar? I remember reading that SotS was shot in AZ, so I don't know if they recycled parts from "Gone With the Wind." I am guessing not.
    No - the two facades are very similar overall, but definitely not the same house. Tara was on the Selznick/RKO/Desilu 40 Acres backlot until it was dismantled in 1959 and shipped to Atlanta. Perhaps it was a stock door available from building supply stores, or both were copied from an architectural book of antebellum mansions. The actual door from the Tara set is now on display in a museum in Atlanta, and the rest of the architectural salvage is in someone's private barn near Atlanta, with the hope that someday it will be rebuilt.

More info here: http://tomitronics.com/old_buildings/tara/index.html

Name:  tara07.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  36.1 KB

http://hookedonhouses.net/wp-content...s-retroweb.jpg
    Last edited by dland_lover; 09-18-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Removed hotlinked picture, per MiceChat policy.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I used to get the Los Angeles Times, ages ago. If I recall correctly, in addition to the main sections, there were sections tailored for its regional editions, such as South Bay, Metro, West Side and Orange County. So, if the edition of the paper from which the clippings were obtained was Orange County, and Disney sent press releases to the Entertainment/Amusement and Around Town/O.C. assignment desks, the article could appear in the same issue twice. Or, it could be that you have the clippings from two different regional editions, both published on the same day.

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 11:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    No - the two facades are very similar overall, but definitely not the same house. Tara was on the Selznick/RKO/Desilu 40 Acres backlot until it was dismantled in 1959 and shipped to Atlanta. Perhaps it was a stock door available from building supply stores, or both were copied from an architectural book of antebellum mansions. The actual door from the Tara set is now on display in a museum in Atlanta, and the rest of the architectural salvage is in someone's private barn near Atlanta, with the hope that someday it will be rebuilt.

More info here: Tara

Name:  tara07.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  36.1 KB

http://hookedonhouses.net/wp-content...s-retroweb.jpg
    Are you sure about the location of Tara and when it was torn down? It seems to me that I recall it being part of what became the Twentieth Century backlot which is now the Century City development between Culver City and Downtown Los Angeles. I remember my neighbor coming back from an auction held there with doorknobs from Tara, and it was much later than 1959. In fact, I remember it being in the 1970s.

There used to be a number of movie lots all over Southern Califorinia. They changed owners so often that it's hard to keep track of them, unless you were there. MGM's famous backlot was sold and used for office building construction and Twentieth Century's now amounts to one or two streets. Paramount still has a small backlot, but the biggest is Universal Studios which is now combined with its theme park.

Movie sets were never meant to be permanent and I know that California real estate is at a premium, but I always feel like a historical landmark has been destroyed when I read about a studio lot that was razed for "progress."

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 11:38 AM ----------

I just asked someone who told me that Tara was not on the 20th lot and that 20th and 40 Acres are not the same place. However, 40 Acres wasn't torn down until 1976 and I was right about the auction and souvenirs of Tara being sold.

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 12:08 PM ----------

I am going way off-topic from The Haunted Mansion, but I found an interesting site. It's a present-day map of where 40 Acres used to be. You can click on various areas and it tells you what was there before.

The map is HERE.

Also, there's an interesting article with aerial photos and labels HERE.

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 12:23 PM ----------

This thread has identified the makers/manufacturers of a number of the fixtures, furniture, decorations, etc. found inside The Haunted Mansion, but has anyone ever put it all on one site? I think that would be interesting and it would make a great resource.
    Last edited by dland_lover; 09-18-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Removed hotlinked picture, per MiceChat policy.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    I used to get the Los Angeles Times, ages ago. If I recall correctly, in addition to the main sections, there were sections tailored for its regional editions, such as South Bay, Metro, West Side and Orange County. So, if the edition of the paper from which the clippings were obtained was Orange County, and Disney sent press releases to the Entertainment/Amusement and Around Town/O.C. assignment desks, the article could appear in the same issue twice. Or, it could be that you have the clippings from two different regional editions, both published on the same day.

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 11:05 AM ----------

Are you sure about the location of Tara and when it was torn down? It seems to me that I recall it being part of what became the Twentieth Century backlot which is now the Century City development between Culver City and Downtown Los Angeles. I remember my neighbor coming back from an auction held there with doorknobs from Tara, and it was much later than 1959. In fact, I remember it being in the 1970s.

There used to be a number of movie lots all over Southern Califorinia. They changed owners so often that it's hard to keep track of them, unless you were there. MGM's famous backlot was sold and used for office building construction and Twentieth Century's now amounts to one or two streets. Paramount still has a small backlot, but the biggest is Universal Studios which is now combined with its theme park.

Movie sets were never meant to be permanent and I know that California real estate is at a premium, but I always feel like a historical landmark has been destroyed when I read about a studio lot that was razed for "progress."

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 11:38 AM ----------

I just asked someone who told me that Tara was not on the 20th lot and that 20th and 40 Acres are not the same place. However, 40 Acres wasn't torn down until 1976 and I was right about the auction and souvenirs of Tara being sold.

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 12:08 PM ----------

I am going way off-topic from The Haunted Mansion, but I found an interesting site. It's a present-day map of where 40 Acres used to be. You can click on various areas and it tells you what was there before.

The maps is HERE.

Also, there's an interesting article with aerial photos and labels HERE.
    The whole story, with photos of trucks arriving in Georgia with the remains of the set, is in the link I posted earlier HERE.

Another good site for more detailed info about the 40 acres backlot and the GWTW set can be found HERE. Clicking on "Home" there will give you the full history of that backlot.

As far as someone buying doorknobs from the set - it's entirely possible that someone stole them, considering the state of disrepair of the facade before it was dismantled. It's more likely they were from the interior sets. There were actually two front doors to Tara: the exterior set and the Selznick studios interior set. Something like a doorknob would be extremely difficult to authenticate.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 09-14-2011 at 11:41 AM.

It was a studio auction, so the doorknobs are authentic. They were not from an interior set but a facade. It was a long time ago and I don't recall all the details. I just remember being shown the doorknobs from Tara.

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 12:56 PM ----------

They were purchased by an architect named James McManus.

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 01:01 PM ----------

There could've been multiple sets of fixtures.

That's an interesting factoid. From some more research I've done, I'm inclined to think that the article labeled A1 is from the regular LA Times, and the OC A1 article is from the OC portion of the paper.

Also, while doing more research on the press following the Haunted Mansion opening, I found about 10-15 more newspapers articles published August 12, 1969 - some as far away as Pittsburgh! I'll try to post them later tonight. They're not as clear as those I published earlier, but they are still readable.

This thread has identified the makers/manufacturers of a number of the fixtures, furniture, decorations, etc. found inside The Haunted Mansion, but has anyone ever put it all on one site? I think that would be interesting and it would make a great resource.
    Here's what I remember off the top of my head. If anyone can remember any more, please update it. I'll also try to go back through the Threads later tonight. Maybe it can be added to the Wiki.

Balcony
    Bird of Paradise wrought iron

Ballroom
    Oneida Cantata flatware - satin

Spode Blue Italian Dinnerware

Tiffin/Franciscan King's Crown Ruby-flashed or Cranberry-flashed wine and water goblets

I don't remember the wallpaper, even though I ordered several sheets of it!

The wallpaper is by Bradbury & Bradbury. But I don't recall the pattern name.

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 01:14 PM ----------

It would be cool to identify some of the lamps/lighting fixtures by make and model.

• Minion

It was a studio auction, so the doorknobs are authentic. They were not from an interior set but a facade. It was a long time ago and I don't recall all the details. I just remember being shown the doorknobs from Tara.

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 12:56 PM ----------

They were purchased by an architect named James McManus.

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 01:01 PM ----------

There could've been multiple sets of fixtures.
    Yes, there were multiple sets of fixtures. As I said, there were TWO doors to the Tara plantation. That is an established fact, which can also be seen in the film itself. The building was dismantled in 1959 and shipped to Georgia. Another established fact. However, when the exterior front door was restored by Randall Brothers Lumber Company in 1989, the lockset was missing: "Door hinges were intact, but the original rim-lock was lost. It was replaced with a new Baldwin lockset that replicated the appearance of the original." So, even if the ones auctioned off were from that exterior set, they were removed prior to the building being dismantled in 1959 and stored away somewhere until the auction. Alternatively, they absolutely could have come from the interior studio set. There's really no way to prove which set they came from at this point in time without knowing the chain of custody/provenance.

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 04:49 PM ----------

An interesting tie-in to the Mansion: as there were really no brick plantation mansions in Georgia on a scale as grand as Selznick wanted Tara to be, the design was adapted from plantation mansions in Natchez, MS. One mansion in Natchez is nearly identical to our Haunted Mansion and the original Shipley-Lidecker house in Baltimore that it was copied from. Tara, the house in Song of the South, and the Haunted Mansion were all based on real homes in the south, either directly or by interpretive design.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 09-14-2011 at 12:52 PM.

You're not understanding me. It doesn't matter how many doors there were. The set department could've bought multiples of the same knobs or a selection of knobs. I distinctly recall my neighbor telling me that the knobs he acquired were from a facade (exterior set) door, and they did not appear new. They had been used and they were labeled as having been from Tara. Where on Tara -- front, back, side -- I have no idea. My neighbor relocated more than 20 years ago and I remain in contact with one of his friends, a film buff, who hasn't seen him in a long time either.

---------- Post added 09-14-2011 at 02:19 PM ----------

OFF-OFF-OFF-OFF-OFF TOPIC

I want to know what became of the chandelier from the original "Phantom of the Opera." Universal claims that it was stolen or lost after Hitchcock had it removed it from Stage 28.

How does one steal or lose a 40-foot, 16,000 lb. chandelier?

The Haunted Mansion foyer wallpaper is from Bradbury & Bradbury's Victorian Dresser II Collection. The pattern is called "Lily" and the color is "Ashes of Rose."

Here are some more newspaper clippings I found. A couple of them have those test pics of old Hattie... Enjoy!

[IMG] [/IMG]

Of note is the mention of the raven being the Ghost Host as late as March of '69, the mention of the HBG as the first of the 999 residents and a late-August scheduled opening.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Okay, someone 'scare up' the original press packages for HM, and let's see those - a whole lot of those newspaper stores have suspiciously identical snippets of text and turns of phrase in them, not to mention the same pull quotes from Card Walker and others.

The vast majority of these stories weren't "Written" as much as the Press Release was taken, trimmed for space and to go around the advertising layouts, a by-line added at the top, and dropped into the paper whole. Know how you can tell? They get the facts right and follow Disney canon EXCEPT when the writer tries to embellish it from their office in Kansas or NYC, then the factual errors creep in. It's like buying your term paper, then trying to change some of the wording to make it not look like it's someone elses's work...

You already knew it, but someone had to say it. They were *all* really written by Marty Sklar or someone else in the Disney PR Dept.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

You are absolutely correct. I found about twenty-five papers with the same publishing date, and all but four or five were entirely identical. I have no doubt that these were written by the Disney PR or WED.

I wonder if I can get a copy of the press packet...

• Inhospitable about happy

Yeah, I've seen enough of these over the years. If we wanted to waste spend the time, we could probably reconstruct 90% of the press release.

The clippings I would most want to see are the early reviews. I've got half a dozen, but like you say there are more out there. Some of the most interesting information is found in them. I've got:

Orange County Register (Sandi Mosley) 8-12
    Los Angeles Herald Examiner 8-12
    Los Angeles Times 8-12 (but taken almost entirely from the press release)
    Long Beach Independent (Malcolm Epley) 8-13
    Pasadena Star News (Keith Murray) 8-13
    The Hollywood Reporter (Tony Lawrence) 8-13
    Smith 'n' Men (syndicated column by Jack Smith originating in the LA Times) 8-15
    Variety
    published a review 8-13, but I don't have it.

Thanks to ww's post, add now:
    Richard Buffum 8-13 (paper's name?)
    The Tribune Traveler (city?) (Larry Townsend) 9-17

Later, briefer reviews:
    Greeley Tribune (Jim Briggs) 6-17-70
    El Paso Herald Post
    (Joan Quatin) 4-4-70

There are two sneak previews from June, widely reprinted around the country under various titles:

Dick Kleiner ("The workman hurried along the hall of the factory...")
    Bob Thomas ("Walt Disney dearly loved to scare people...")

Some odds and ends among my clippings:

Example of rumors of prior opening:

The Ghost Host was already being described like this in March. Had the raven host been dropped by then? Or is this supposed to be the raven? Probably not, since it's mentioned separately, and we're told it will be squawking "nevermore."

And then there's this:

Maybe I'll gather the early reviews and publish the lot of them in a LF blog post. Seems like a dandy idea. If you've got more, WW, let's see 'em! And what's the paper for Buffum and the city for the Tribune Traveler?
    Last edited by HBG2; 09-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Here are a couple of things I found just skimming the surface. I will look and see if I can get even more stuff later. I imagine that no one really expected the kind of following the Haunted Mansion would have, and probably tossed the press info.

[IMG] [/IMG]

---------- Post added 09-15-2011 at 11:01 AM ----------

@HBG2: The Richard Buffum article is from the Aug. 13 edition of the LA Times. It is listed as being on page OC1. The Tribune Traveler from Sept. 17 is from the Chicago Tribune. It is listed as being on page D7.

Also, check out the Press-Courier I posted from Mar. 23, 1969. "A jet-black raven's 'Nevermore' will become another haunting refrain as guests pass through Mansion walls." That doesn't explicitly list the raven/Ghost Host connection, but obviously holds the raven in a position that is much more active than it is today.

I think reconstructing the press packet would be interesting, but I don't know of what it consists. What is supposed to be in there, anyway?

• Inhospitable about happy

This looks to me like two separate characters:

I'm pretty sure Jeff Baham has a copy of the original HM press release, so before we waste time reconstructing it, I'll ask him if he can send me a copy.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM