Page 323 of 633 FirstFirst ... 223273298313320321322323324325326333348373423 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,845 of 9482

• Yoiks!

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

I'm loving the articles and manual.

The models are for kids and the drawing remind me of the HM coloring books.

Over on Doombuggies, there is a discussion about the Harry Packer influence. Interestingly, there is a response by the current owner of the estate. I was searching through "el bloggo" trying to find what we discovered about the WDW fascade and link it to their discussion. I couldn't find it, however I did notice something exciting.

There are 2 demon face plaques in the COD. One is a lion head with a weird frame. The lion and frame is very similar to the Crump Organ mock up.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

A brief sidetrack now...

In past, I believe HBG2 was the one who brought up the EC horror comics/Old Witch connection to the finalized Hatchet Man portrait from the HM, and there was a later one I found with a ghostly bride/screaming wallpaper faces tentative connection. I love me some old horror pulp, and recently found this cover...what you are looking at in particular in this one is the gravedigger character. Maybe he is a cousin of Lon Chaney's LoM character and good old Hatbox...? Certainly looks familiar...

when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Inhospitable about happy

Interesting. Of course the essential image of a squat, skeletal figure in formal attire is probably too common and too old to trace to one source. This is from 1903:

---------- Post added 09-18-2011 at 02:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post
    I'm loving the articles and manual.

The models are for kids and the drawing remind me of the HM coloring books.

Over on Doombuggies, there is a discussion about the Harry Packer influence. Interestingly, there is a response by the current owner of the estate. I was searching through "el bloggo" trying to find what we discovered about the WDW fascade and link it to their discussion. I couldn't find it
    I think all talk of Harry Packer went packing—or should have—once this surfaced:

Just like Shipley-Lydecker and Anaheim, I think that one pretty well ends the discussion about influence on WDW/Tokyo.
    Last edited by HBG2; 09-18-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreepy Karl View Post
    however I did notice something exciting.

There are 2 demon face plaques in the COD. One is a lion head with a weird frame. The lion and frame is very similar to the Crump Organ mock up.
    I used to think those Steve Fink plaques were based on the Rolly organ. Original discussion is HERE. But with higher resolution photos of the organ model, however, I've changed my mind. There's really not enough resemblance, IMO.

• Yoiks!

Hi Rez makes all the difference! I remembered the Fink plaques being discussed but not the connection to Rolly. I didn't realize it was waaaaay back in T3. I'm glad I didn't search for it. It was still a fun moment of fun for me when I made the connection though.

That's another cool thing about this thread. As time goes by we get better and better images of everything. There was a time when there were perhaps only 200 photos on the net and most of them were of the exteriors.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily have created another great Haunted Mansion piece. This time a one-of-a-kind figure based on Collin Campbell's illustration of the Hat Box Ghost.

Check it out.

• Banned User

That old dark house at the end of the dimly lit street.

OFF TOPIC!

Ok, does anyone else think that this is a terrible idea?

Details emerge on Disney's plans to bring 'Avatar' to its parks - latimes.com

Was that Even a Disney movie?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    OFF TOPIC!

Was that Even a Disney movie?
    No, but it was a brazen rip-off of a Disney movie. (Avatar = Pocahontas, practically point by point; just swap out the names and places.) I despise Cameron and his films, so of course I think it's a lousy idea.

• en pace

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post

Absolutely horrid.

----------------- Post added 09-20-2011 at 11:16 pm ---------------

Random question: Has anyone ever gotten stuck in the stretching room elevators in the Haunted Mansion? I know there have been times one elevator or the other has been down due to problems or maintenance, so are there any reports of people being inside?

If so, how did they get out? Just curious considering this chamber has no windows and no doors! Muahahahaha!
    Last edited by RequiesCat; 09-20-2011 at 10:25 PM.
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

• Halloween 2011

Quote Originally Posted by RequiesCat View Post

Random question: Has anyone ever gotten stuck in the stretching room elevators in the Haunted Mansion? I know there have been times one elevator or the other has been down due to problems or maintenance, so are there any reports of people being inside?

If so, how did they get out? Just curious considering this chamber has no windows and no doors! Muahahahaha!
    I suppose it is possible but I don't recall ever hearing about an instance of it. The "elevators" aren't really elevators but hydraulic? pnuematic? pistons. Simply release the pressure and the room sinks to its lowest level and guests enter the Mansion like always.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    No, but it was a brazen rip-off of a Disney movie. (Avatar = Pocahontas, practically point by point; just swap out the names and places.) I despise Cameron and his films, so of course I think it's a lousy idea.
    Even more then just Pocahontas. Much of the premise was taken from the Sci-Fi story Call Me Joe, about psychically remote controlled alien bodies on Jupiter and even the Na'vi were taken from some Marvel comic in the 80s I can't think of off the top of my head that's not X-Men's Nightcrawler.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

A lot of you have probably seen this thing by some guy named Matt Bateman. It's pretty funny, and pretty damning.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily have created another great Haunted Mansion piece. This time a one-of-a-kind figure based on Collin Campbell's illustration of the Hat Box Ghost.

Check it out.
    Getting back onto a HM track...yes, that thing is nice. You wonder what it will get at auction.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Getting back onto a HM track...yes, that thing is nice. You wonder what it will get at auction.
    A small fortune, I'm sure. I love how his HM figures look identical to the original characters. WDI should hire him to redesign the cartoon characters in WDW's mirrors, and in any other instances when a figure needs to be re-created.

the new issue of Wired (Oct. 2011) has a little review of the new HHGs in the WDW HM. Refers to it as an "utter sacrilege".

there is also an illustration of Hattie, with what i assume to the be author's head in the hatbox!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM