Page 326 of 712 FirstFirst ... 226276301316323324325326327328329336351376426 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,890 of 10680

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

First impressions from the second video, in bullet format:

Goodman mentions the "riddle" in the Dread family, and how that would be a fun addition. How fun is a riddle a second time?

More stupid rhyming puns - "Tombs with a View" - He didn't have anything to do w/ DCA v.1, did he?

Both Goodman and Carsillo mentioned "tomb-rubbings." Has anyone actually seen anybody do a tomb-rubbing?

Goodman had to keep prodding people to touch stuff. Hard to do after guests are conditioned NOT to touch stuff.

"We added the One-Eyed Cat" to the organ music scene. Why? What does he have to do with Rolly's musical instruments?

Did Goodman really think he was going to get away with not mentioning the growing MG tomb? Also, apparently it is "turning radiuses" now, not the "awning posts".

Do they really expect people to get wet at the Captain tomb? Why would you want this before entering a non-wet, cold dark-ride?

He sounded kind of disappointed that people had already figured out the crypt "crypt-o-gram." I guess he wanted it to last a bit longer than it did...

Wow, it took a while to think of poor Rolly's name at the "tribute crypts."

Both Goodman and Carsillo pointed out the fact that they'd updated the HHG scene. Did they really think people wouldn't notice?

Too bad about WDI not having any plans for the near future at the WDW HM. There goes any plans in the near future to fix PLQ.

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I also think that they mentally prepared themselves to defend it against only one kind of criticism: the reactions of knee-jerk purists who complain about any change or addition of any kind.
    What's more, nine times out of ten those knee-jerk purists don't exist; they're strawmen that creators make up to convince either themselves or others that whatever they did was so empirically awesome that nobody could legitimately dislike it on its own merits.

---------- Post added 10-01-2011 at 08:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    "We added the One-Eyed Cat" to the organ music scene. Why? What does he have to do with Rolly's musical instruments?
    Well, "strangling the cat" is a euphemism for playing the bagpipes.

That's all I got.

• Larger Than (After)Life

I watched most of the Peter Carsillo tour video. His body language and facial expressions are far more telling than what he's saying, particularly when the cacophony drowns him out. There is no way that he cannot know what a mess that queue is and that all the explaining in the world won't make it better.

However, I do like the idea of a lookout/scenic viewing area for the river. That is something that a stately mansion might have on its grounds. TDO could've created such a place tastefully, with a few benches, some statuary, planters or even a hanging garden. But, no. Instead they chose a loud and obnoxious hodgepodge that makes about as much sense as if they'd installed a pony ride or petting zoo, except both would've been much quieter.

---------- Post added 10-01-2011 at 06:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post

Well, "strangling the cat" is a euphemism for playing the bagpipes.

That's all I got.
    A one-eyed cat is a vulgar reference to male genitalia used in blues music, as in "a one-eyed cat peeping in a seafood store." (Think about it.)
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 10-01-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Watching the Surrell video:

About the HHG "plussing": "As we go into the future and come up with different ways to tell stories and different ways for you guys to interact with our characters and our stories, you're gonna see more and more things like that where we try to augment the experience." This comes just seconds after he shot down HMH for not presenting the original attraction to new WDW guests.

Also, "We don't just throw special effects around because we can." Did you hear that? The new HHG effects are, in fact, necessary to the story and overall feel of the Haunted Mansion. I know how disappointed I am that ghosts don't molest my Doombuggy as I prepare to leave the DL Mansion...NOT!

Interesting that he mentions that there are a couple of things "yet to come," when Goodman stated there was nothing in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    Interesting that he mentions that there are a couple of things "yet to come," when Goodman stated there was nothing in the works.
    Apparently, they forgot to synchronize their "stories." In fact, Carsillo went so far as to say that Goodman "wasn't telling the truth" when it came to pointing out to him (Carsillo) that Master Gracy appears to have been buried standing up.

It's a tangled web.

• Inhospitable about happy

After riding the Haunted Mansion—oops, I mean Disney's Haunted Mansion,™ we bought a bag of Disney's popcorn and later threw the empty bag into Disney's trash can. I wanted to ride Disney's Mark Twain, but the wife wanted to go on Disney's Space Mountain again, so we crossed the hub in front of Disney's Sleeping Beauty Castle and went into Disney's Tomorrowland. The line was too long, so we went on Disney's Monorail instead. After that I needed to visit Disney's mens room.

You know, he's right. Somehow, that does feel a lot like the PLQ experience.

Memo to WDI: When you're at Disneyland, you're supposed to be able to imagine that you're not at Disneyland a hundred different ways.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Memo to WDI: When you're at Disneyland, you're supposed to be able to imagine that you're not at Disneyland a hundred different ways.
    Haven't you heard? It's all about branding now. At least, that's what corporate says. Everyone else just says, "Yes."

Courtesy of Gordonfree over at DB.com, here's that take on the new HHG's in the latest Wired magazine that was mentioned earlier.

Disney's Tomorrowland is right.

---------- Post added 10-01-2011 at 07:46 PM ----------

I've been wanting to see the WIRED piece. THANK YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    Haven't you heard? It's all about branding now. At least, that's what corporate says. Everyone else just says, "Yes."
    "Branding" is a good idea in the same way that "Perfume makes you smell good" is a good idea.

GOOD GRIEF! WIRED's illustrator has me more pantless than ever! But the "upgraded" Hatbox Ghost attire drives the point home almost as well as the article.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 10-01-2011 at 07:15 PM.

• Minion

Inside the Magic's put up video of the Room for One More Event

Musicians and live Caretaker comic relief > that dumb play about Constance
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

For foolish mortals and happy haunts both of weak disposition, a friendly word of warning: maybe don't click this link.

For the rest (and yes, I realize people will take goofy photos at Disney parks regardless, such can be fun..this is half joking), here is the full potential doubtless as Carsillo and team wanted for the new queue to be 'interactive'

IIIIIII aint got nobooooooody! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Quote Originally Posted by regionsbeyond View Post
    for foolish mortals and happy haunts both of weak disposition, a friendly word of warning: Maybe don't click this link.

For the rest (and yes, i realize people will take goofy photos at disney parks regardless, such can be fun..this is half joking), here is the full potential doubtless as carsillo and team wanted for the new queue to be 'interactive'

iiiiiii aint got nobooooooody! | flickr - photo sharing!
    My eyes! My eyes!!!

In regards to the Room For One More dinner presentation, it is again somewhat tragic to hear them praise the longevity of "old school" special effects working after all these years with the Haunted Mansion to then go on and talk about how awesome the new Hitchhiking Ghosts are. I suppose certain classic effects are only so classic to their view.

Hearing the Imagineers speak, particularly about the queue "enhancements" at the Mansion, feels more and more like someone rationalizing a really bad decision. These seem like very smart and passionate guys but their actions suggest that they only seem to care about the attraction's integrity to a point. It was enough of a bummer to see these changes enacted in the first place, but now after actually hearing them implicitly defend their work makes the entire thing all the more unfortunate.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM