Page 328 of 726 FirstFirst ... 228278303318325326327328329330331338353378428 ... LastLast
Results 4,906 to 4,920 of 10877

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    The education system of the last several decades is not what it used to be. I see who's getting hired and promoted now. They're neither deep thinkers nor visionaries. And if they can form a coherent thought, they can't write it and spell it correctly. And everyone is specialized, pigeonholed into departments within companies where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Gone are the days of being well-rounded, unless you're talking about physical obesity -- which is further evidence of a lack of discipline and wisdom.
    Unfortunately, you can't lay the blame for this one at the feet of the educational system. Sprout is no spring chicken.

Definitely old enough to know better.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Larger Than (After)Life

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

BTW, although I like the Jack Sparrow character, I think the "updated" dialogue inside the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction is terrible. Every other word is "Jack Sparrow," and it's so overdone that I feel like I'm being spoken down to by a moron.

I get it, Baroza, you're looking for Jack Sparrow, Jack Sparrow, Jack Sparrow, Jack Sparrow -- ad nauseam!

***OFF TOPIC***

However, my biggest gripe is the addition of realistic-looking Jack Sparrow AAs. Every other character in the attraction is a caricature, but not the Johnny Depp AAs which could've been stylized to fit in with the others easily while still resembling Depp enough to satisfy movie fans. Instead, they stick out like sore thumbs. Doesn't anyone at Disney think about continuity?

I'll bet these are the same people who can't merge when getting on the freeway.

---------- Post added 10-02-2011 at 08:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Unfortunately, you can't lay the blame for this one at the feet of the educational system. Sprout is no spring chicken.
    That's even worse.

Maybe he's someone's nephew.

---------- Post added 10-02-2011 at 08:43 PM ----------

Nice work on the jumper, Mr. Fenwright.

• Larger Than (After)Life

I was at Disneyland last Friday and rode The Haunted Mansion four times. Of course, it's the Burton-ized version now.

For some reason, the Doombuggies kept slowing down and moving at a snail's pace, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Luckily for me, they stopped completely twice while I was riding through the graveyard scene. It caused me to notice something that should be addressed by WDI: the amount of light being reflected up by the theatrical snow on the scene floor.

The snow really throws a lot of light back up on the ceiling and riders can see everything up there: ceiling tiles, missing tiles, vents, lights...you name it. Because of this, the light in the graveyard should either be kept very low (and I don't know how that will affect viewing the AA ghosts) or, if possible, some sort of light-filtering screen should be hung between the graveyard scene and the ceiling. When spectators look up, they should see a cloudy night (since it's snowing) with or without spirits, not acoustic tiles.

The bayou and other areas of Pirates have fairly realistic looking sky ceilings. Why can't The Haunted Mansion?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    He is also responsible for the fact that every other word in POTC is now Captain Jack Sparrow.
    What was that guy's name again? I don't think I quite caught it... Captain Clarence Darrow? Captain Ross Perot? Capricorn Jack Spratt?

• We Go On.

This is why I kind of like the Blackbeard voiceover at the end instead of Davy Jones, which was basically, "Ha! I'm Davey Jones. See you next time. I'm Davey Jones. So says I, Davey Jones!"

As for HMH's graveyard, the non holiday version isn't too good with hiding the ceiling either, but at WDW they have the lighting perfect in there.

rode HMH on friday. Initially I admit I liked it, but every year I liked it less and less and now i'm into full on hate territory.

My wife commented, "those LED Christmas lights look out of place in here".
    Indeed my dear, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    For some reason, the Doombuggies kept slowing down and moving at a snail's pace, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
    I believe that means they're helping someone with some kind of handicap board the doombuggies. They've got the slow speed just for that. If it is a more complex transfer (wheelchair situation, for example), they can just stop the buggies.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I believe that means they're helping someone with some kind of handicap board the doombuggies. They've got the slow speed just for that. If it is a more complex transfer (wheelchair situation, for example), they can just stop the buggies.
    Yup, "Creep Mode" - Amazing what you can do with modern electronics!

They put Variable Frequency Drives on the (10?) electric motors driving the Omnimover system, and they can slow them all to a crawl and speed them back up to normal in perfect harmony.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Minion

The last time I rode the WDW Mansion, I was using crutches to transfer from a wheelchair. I was so proud that I made it across the moving walkway into my Doombuggy, but then my crutches got caught in the descending lap bar and brought the whole ride to a halt. I felt awful! In my head, I could hear that noise that record players used to make if you jerked the needle arm across the record in the middle of a song.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Things like PLQ and many aspects of American Culture in general really irritate me. Many times I feel like I am losing touch with the modern world, Am I the only one?
    Not the only one. I frequently feel out of touch: the texting gibberish language, the constant noise and flashy garbage, the superficiality of EVERYTHING. Dude, slow down, take one thing at a time, and actually deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I, personally, feel no need to interact with an attraction. It doesn't make it a bit more interesting for me. The attraction's job is to capture my imagination and make my mind work. If I want something to interact with, there are millions of real people around me.

Yep. I prefer not to have to do things when I'm on a ride. This is in part because I'm there to watch the ride do its thing, not to create the thing, and in part because their interactions are usually fairly scripted, and I find that intensely annoying. I don't like following a script.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Here's a MAJOR reason why interactivity and haunted houses don't mix: ghosts are not supposed to be predictable. Like I say, there's nothing eerie about a vending machine. If you push button A and ghost B proceeds to do something, even if it's one of ten different things, that is about as unghostly, as unspooky as anything I can imagine.

Good point.
    I just finished watching "The Haunting," (the 1963 version) and it seems like the plot device was that no-one knew what was going to happen next. It was totally unpredictable, and very convincing.
    Last edited by ww12345; 10-03-2011 at 08:42 PM.

• en pace

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    Good point.
    I just finished watching "The Haunting," (the 1963 version) and it seems like the plot device was that no-one knew what was going to happen next. It was totally unpredictable, and very convincing.
    The Haunting is also a great example of minimal effects and great atmosphere making for the amount of tension that a good ghost story needs. More is not always better.
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RequiesCat View Post
    The Haunting is also a great example of minimal effects and great atmosphere making for the amount of tension that a good ghost story needs. More is not always better.
    Definitely one of my top 5 movies of all time. It's the unknown and the unseen that's the most frightening.

"Silence lies steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House. And we who walk here... walk alone."

• en pace

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    Definitely one of my top 5 movies of all time. It's the unknown and the unseen that's the most frightening.

"Silence lies steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House. And we who walk here... walk alone."
    I couldn't agree more! What made the shark in Jaws so scary was that you could not see him, but once we finally did (after the initial shock) he wasn't nearly so scary. To this day, if I'm swimming at a beach or river, I get nervous at not knowing what's beneath me. I think it's universal... that fear of the unknown.
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM