Page 334 of 600 FirstFirst ... 234284309324331332333334335336337344359384434 ... LastLast
Results 4,996 to 5,010 of 8990

• Minion

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Harper Goff Tribute
    http://twitpic.com/70clo4
    Comes up "page not found".

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

http://s1-02.twitpicproxy.com/photos.../423851188.jpg

Direct link, had to do a little hunting.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Nearly departed, so Prudence is "Not quite dead yet"?
    Last edited by HMF; 10-19-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

Hat tip to Guy the Ghoul over at DB.com for spotting this one.

Disneyland is being sued for too-high lead levels in places, mostly from exposed lead (leaded stained glass windows in Fantasyland that you can touch with your hand) and brass fixtures like chains and doorknobs that you can wipe your hand on and get lead on your hand that way (I didn't know brass did that). The Haunted Mansion is specifically mentioned. Most likely the bat stantions are the culprits. Dude, their days may be numbered, at least in their current metallic form. Wonder what the solid brass ones will get at auction.

Attractions, other sites at Disneyland expose visitors to lead, group says - latimes.com

I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha.
    NOOOOO! The bats are cool!

(thinks: Darned people licking the bats... :S)

• Inhospitable about happy

Other than a famous 1951 haunted house sketch, what did Goff have to do with the HM, anyway? Expanding the tributes to include anyone even remotely associated with the HM only serves to water down the purpose of having a tribute in the first place.

This thing, I'll wager, is an attempt to get the Prudence crypt to work better. It's supposed to respond to your voice, answering her (stupid) questions, but it hasn't been working too well, from what little I've seen. This thing protects the mike from ambient noise and can more clearly focus on the vocal input. Less white noise. What is that thing supposed to be? Don't ask. We are so in Toontown here.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Minion

Check out the Mansion references in this week's Darkwing Duck comic (Part 2 of it's crossover finale arc with DuckTales).
    Guess Magica and Phantom Blot have some fine taste in decor after having warped St. Canard.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• en pace

At

I'll be putting that in my signature if you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    NOOOOO! The bats are cool!

(thinks: Darned people licking the bats... :S)
    Those darn bat-lickers are ruining things for the rest of us!
    "I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha."
    - HBG2

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Check out the Mansion references in this week's Darkwing Duck comic (Part 2 of it's crossover finale arc with DuckTales).
    Guess Magica and Phantom Blot have some fine taste in decor after having warped St. Canard.
    Great find. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RequiesCat View Post
    I'll be putting that in my signature if you don't mind.

Those darn bat-lickers are ruining things for the rest of us!
    Fine with me, but full disclosure: That crack was inspired in part by a remark made by Captain Quirk over at the DB.com board, so it's really only half mine.

---------- Post added 10-19-2011 at 07:48 PM ----------

Speaking of the DB.com boards, this is interesting, but like the man says, it's strictly FWIW.

So take this for what's it worth, but i got this straight from the horse's mouth (one of my coordinator friends who worked today). Cameron and Rhode along w/ a gaggle of Disney excutives toured the Mansion queue. According to what he saw with his own two eyes, Cameron looked "bored" and Rhode looked "pissed". Can only imagine TDO was brainwashing Cameron into thinking interactive queues will be the end all be all for Avatarland. But i love that Rohde is livid. --- disneyboy
    That's film director James Cameron, who's going to do an Avatarland (or something), and Joe Rohde, Senior VP and Creative Executive of Disney Imagineering (i.e. a very big gun).

One can only hope, fervently hope, that Rohde was indeed unhappy with what he saw.

• Minion

Reminds me of Rohde's enthusiastic remarks about how Dinorama can be torn down within 72 hours.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

This thing, I'll wager, is an attempt to get the Prudence crypt to work better. It's supposed to respond to your voice, answering her (stupid) questions, but it hasn't been working too well, from what little I've seen. This thing protects the mike from ambient noise and can more clearly focus on the vocal input. Less white noise. What is that thing supposed to be? Don't ask. We are so in Toontown here.
    I agree with you in concept -- I'm sure this is meant to make the crypt work better. However I think there's a different reason. Every time I've seen it the microphone has worked fine . . . when people knew there was one. Much of the time Prudence sat there crying out for an answer, and guests who didn't know better (or were attempting to sabotage the queue, more optimistically) would stay quiet, not knowing that she could hear their responses. Half the time I'd end up yelling out the answer just to get the ball rolling with other guests. It was really kind of sad how ineffective it was without prompt.

I don't think it's yet intuitive for guests to understand that they can interact with automated show elements, since things like this also seem to happen with Roz in DCA's Monsters Inc attraction and Mr. Potato Head in Toy Story Midway Mania. They'll ask a question and be met with silence even though they were designed to be interactive. I admit being afraid to respond myself, for fear that it doesn't pick it up or doesn't have a proper response to my response ( I don't need any more people wondering "Who's that guy talking to the potato" . . .). Imagine how less informed guests must feel. Answering verbally would make no sense to them.

Anyway, I think this was done in an effort to clarify that calling out the answer is the way to finish the poem. Without explicit instruction It doesn't seem many people get that anything beyond Buzz Lightyear video game style interactivity is either possible or acceptable in a theme park. We're conditioned that anything a show element asks must be rhetorical; we know these shows are scripted and figure it's up to the show to answer, not us. We know it's no use to talk back to the movie (though some do anyway), but perhaps this feels even a bit more unnatural. So now the show has included a prompt. While I can't say I like it, it should (in theory) make more sense of the effect for guests who don't know better.
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

• Minion

She's feeling much better!

• Minion

Hat tip to Guy the Ghoul over at DB.com for spotting this one.

Disneyland is being sued for too-high lead levels in places, mostly from exposed lead (leaded stained glass windows in Fantasyland that you can touch with your hand) and brass fixtures like chains and doorknobs that you can wipe your hand on and get lead on your hand that way (I didn't know brass did that). The Haunted Mansion is specifically mentioned. Most likely the bat stantions are the culprits. Dude, their days may be numbered, at least in their current metallic form. Wonder what the solid brass ones will get at auction.

Attractions, other sites at Disneyland expose visitors to lead, group says - latimes.com

Could they not simply be coated in lacquer or polyurethane?

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I hate PLQ as much as anybody, but I think that works for "dead, but still around in spirit." On the other hand, pointing that out on a headstone...

Quote Originally Posted by yensidtlaw1969 View Post
    I agree with you in concept -- I'm sure this is meant to make the crypt work better. However I think there's a different reason. Every time I've seen it the microphone has worked fine . . . when people knew there was one. Much of the time Prudence sat there crying out for an answer, and guests who didn't know better (or were attempting to sabotage the queue, more optimistically) would stay quiet, not knowing that she could hear their responses. Half the time I'd end up yelling out the answer just to get the ball rolling with other guests. It was really kind of sad how ineffective it was without prompt.

I don't think it's yet intuitive for guests to understand that they can interact with automated show elements, since things like this also seem to happen with Roz in DCA's Monsters Inc attraction and Mr. Potato Head in Toy Story Midway Mania. They'll ask a question and be met with silence even though they were designed to be interactive. I admit being afraid to respond myself, for fear that it doesn't pick it up or doesn't have a proper response to my response ( I don't need any more people wondering "Who's that guy talking to the potato" . . .). Imagine how less informed guests must feel. Answering verbally would make no sense to them.

Anyway, I think this was done in an effort to clarify that calling out the answer is the way to finish the poem. Without explicit instruction It doesn't seem many people get that anything beyond Buzz Lightyear video game style interactivity is either possible or acceptable in a theme park. We're conditioned that anything a show element asks must be rhetorical; we know these shows are scripted and figure it's up to the show to answer, not us. We know it's no use to talk back to the movie (though some do anyway), but perhaps this feels even a bit more unnatural. So now the show has included a prompt. While I can't say I like it, it should (in theory) make more sense of the effect for guests who don't know better.
    Well said, and I agree completely, especially with the notion that people are not going to take the risk of looking like an idiot in public. ("Look at that guy! He thinks it's real! *snick snick* Whadda dope.")

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Could they not simply be coated in lacquer or polyurethane?
    Yeah, maybe. I'm just thinking that one option they could go with is replacing them entirely with fiberglass models or something. Not as durable, but you never have to worry about the coating wearing off. If they go that route, I'll bet the original solid brass bats will go up for auction. I forget the exact number, but there are well over 30 of them. Ka-ching.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    I hate PLQ as much as anybody, but I think that works for "dead, but still around in spirit." On the other hand, pointing that out on a headstone...
    It's all of a piece with the banner inside the crypt: funerary fixtures that allude to the postmortem activities of the occupants. Shtooopid.

DisKingdom tweets from 10/18:

"Looks like they're testing something new. To make the new hitchhiking ghosts more believable, they're adding another layer in the reflection"

"They've added a light behind the Doombuggies to light up the themed brick wall. Adds a great layer in the reflection, hiding the mirrors."

I'm a little perplexed.
    The wall behind the buggies has been lit up, somehow adding a layer to the reflection, and hiding the mirrors...???

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM