Page 335 of 559 FirstFirst ... 235285325332333334335336337338345385435 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,025 of 8383
  1. #5011

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    276

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    DisKingdom tweets from 10/18:

    "Looks like they're testing something new. To make the new hitchhiking ghosts more believable, they're adding another layer in the reflection"

    "They've added a light behind the Doombuggies to light up the themed brick wall. Adds a great layer in the reflection, hiding the mirrors."

    I'm a little perplexed.
    The wall behind the buggies has been lit up, somehow adding a layer to the reflection, and hiding the mirrors...???
    Sounds a bit odd in its wording. I can understand illuminating the walls -- in the mirror having something further away than the ghosts could help your mind to place them in the layering of the scene and define them as something thats certainly "in" your vehicle, but that sort of thing is definitely the least of the problems with this effect. No matter how far away they are they still look page flat.

    I'm not sure what is meant by "hiding the mirrors" . . . the mirrors are supposed to be understood as mirrors. Hiding that fact was ever the idea. Maybe they mean some mirror on the other side of the themed mirrors used to achieve the effect?

    On another note, hasn't that wall always been lit? Unless there's some major new development in lighting I guess it's possible that they simply never noticed it before . . . who knows. Photos or video would help, if they have any.
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

    https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

    "The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio


    "Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis




  2. #5012

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    DisKingdom tweets from 10/18:

    "Looks like they're testing something new. To make the new hitchhiking ghosts more believable, they're adding another layer in the reflection"

    "They've added a light behind the Doombuggies to light up the themed brick wall. Adds a great layer in the reflection, hiding the mirrors."

    I'm a little perplexed.
    The wall behind the buggies has been lit up, somehow adding a layer to the reflection, and hiding the mirrors...???
    While they are at it , can they make Ezra actually look like Ezra?

    ---------- Post added 10-20-2011 at 05:33 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    One can only hope, fervently hope, that Rohde was indeed unhappy with what he saw.
    I don't think there is much he can do. His charge is Animal Kingdom. Unless Jacobson is ousted and a Creative Executive with good taste gets the creative reigns of Magic Kingdom. It is not going anywhere.
    However if we are very lucky and there is dissent within WDI, It could possibly shorten it's lifespan.
    (case-in point Epcot Wand)
    Last edited by HMF; 10-20-2011 at 02:45 PM.

  3. #5013

    • We Go On.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,793

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Of course that Spaceship Earth wand came down in part because Seimens wanted it off their attraction.

  4. #5014

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Of course that Spaceship Earth wand came down in part because Seimens wanted it off their attraction.
    WDI helped, quite a bit.

  5. #5015

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,481

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    I don't think there is much he can do. His charge is Animal Kingdom. Unless Jacobson is ousted and a Creative Executive with good taste gets the creative reigns of Magic Kingdom. It is not going anywhere.
    However if we are very lucky and there is dissent within WDI, It could possibly shorten it's lifespan.
    (case-in point Epcot Wand)
    I don't expect anything to happen to PLQ. It's too new and cost too much. I'm just wondering if Rohde has any clout with regard to Disneyland, or is he strictly east coast? I want to keep this garbage away from Anaheim. The HHG gag will likely be brought in, but I cherish the hope that they may decide not to use any of the PLQ stuff.

    P.S. New blog post up
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  6. #5016

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,389

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I don't expect anything to happen to PLQ. It's too new and cost too much. I'm just wondering if Rohde has any clout with regard to Disneyland, or is he strictly east coast? I want to keep this garbage away from Anaheim. The HHG gag will likely be brought in, but I cherish the hope that they may decide not to use any of the PLQ stuff.

    P.S. New blog post up
    Rohde is Chief designer of Disney's Animal Kingdom and the Aulani resort in Hawaii. He has no say (as far as I know) in Magic Kingdom or Disneyland. Eric Jacobson has the other 3 WDW Parks. The person overseeing the Disneyland Resort is Tom Fitzgerald (with Tony Baxter in charge of Disneyland Park reporting to him. )We can only hope Tony and Tom will not export PLQ. I honestly do not think they will as this whole NextGen thing is one of WDW Management's pet projects and is not necessarily shared with Disneyland's more competent Management
    Last edited by HMF; 10-20-2011 at 10:01 PM.

  7. #5017

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,481

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Rohde is Chief designer of Disney's Animal Kingdom and the Aulani resort in Hawaii. He has no say (as far as I know) in Magic Kingdom or Disneyland. Eric Jacobson has the other 3 WDW Parks. The person overseeing the Disneyland Resort is Tom Fitzgerald (with Tony Baxter in charge of Disneyland Park reporting to him. )We can only hope Tony and Tom will not export PLQ. I honestly do not think they will as this whole NextGen thing is one of WDW Management's pet projects and is not necessarily shared with Disneyland's more competent Management
    Thanks for that info. Very helpful. Of course, the more top guys who don't care for PLQ, the better, even if they have no direct oversight where it matters. It always strengthens your hand when you know there are other significant people who share your point of view.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  8. #5018

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,481

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    DisKingdom tweets from 10/18:

    "Looks like they're testing something new. To make the new hitchhiking ghosts more believable, they're adding another layer in the reflection"

    "They've added a light behind the Doombuggies to light up the themed brick wall. Adds a great layer in the reflection, hiding the mirrors."

    I'm a little perplexed.
    The wall behind the buggies has been lit up, somehow adding a layer to the reflection, and hiding the mirrors...???
    I can't figure that comment out either. I'm giving it the rabbit.

    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

  9. #5019

    • Mr. Ghost
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    372

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    I don't remember if I posted this link before, but in 2007, I discovered Turbidite Manor, a walk through attraction. In my opinion, it is a haunted house done right, especially the projected effects.


    Edit:
    Well it looks like the site doesn't work anymore. So much for that one, I will have to do an internet search for a follow up.
    Last edited by Mr.Fenwright; 10-24-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: site non operational

  10. #5020

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    741

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    New passport2dreams blog post on the pop-up ghosts:
    *Passport to Dreams Old & New: Start to Shriek and Harmonize

  11. #5021

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle River, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,366

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fenwright View Post
    I don't remember if I posted this link before, but in 2007, I discovered Turbidite Manor, a walk through attraction. In my opinion, it is a haunted house done right, especially the projected effects.


    Edit:
    Well it looks like the site doesn't work anymore. So much for that one, I will have to do an internet search for a follow up.
    It's working.

  12. #5022

    • Larger Than (After)Life
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    A Dusty Attic
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    I ran across the following today and thought I'd share it. It looks pretty good.










    I haven't been here in a while, so I have A LOT of catching up to do. Right off the bat, I see that modifications are being tested for the computer-generated mirror ghosts at the end of Florida's Haunted Mansion. I hope that it NEVER comes to Anaheim, regardless of what they do to "improve" it. It would RUIN the conclusion of the ride. For me, the only improvement that can be made in WDW is to take it out, along with that hideous queue.

    Frankly, I'm not even a fan of the video technology used in the new Ariel Adventure in DCA. It would look a lot more believable -- not to mention charming -- if riders could look up through glass with real water rippling and see AAs, instead of flat, flat, FLAT-screen images.

    ---------- Post added 10-25-2011 at 10:59 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post


    Hat tip to Guy the Ghoul over at DB.com for spotting this one.

    Disneyland is being sued for too-high lead levels in places, mostly from exposed lead (leaded stained glass windows in Fantasyland that you can touch with your hand) and brass fixtures like chains and doorknobs that you can wipe your hand on and get lead on your hand that way (I didn't know brass did that). The Haunted Mansion is specifically mentioned. Most likely the bat stantions are the culprits. Dude, their days may be numbered, at least in their current metallic form. Wonder what the solid brass ones will get at auction.

    Attractions, other sites at Disneyland expose visitors to lead, group says - latimes.com

    I keep telling people not to lick the bats, but do they listen? Ha.
    The bat stanchions are lead? I've always thought they were brass. The ones at the turns where ride visitors handle them most have had their details worn down from rubbing and there is no lead exposed. So, where's the lead?

    ---------- Post added 10-25-2011 at 11:06 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey13 View Post
    While we seem to be in a lull, I feel that it is the best time to say that I will be indefinitely leaving the boards. I wish to express my greatest thanks to all of you for a wonderful two years of conversation about one of Disney's finest attractions (yes, even with PLQ). I am not at liberty to say why I am leaving, though, I do so with a heavy heart. I will miss you all greatly.
    I will be scanning the boards every-so-often (a "you won't see me, but I'll see you" situation )

    I'll see you all a little later....
    Congratulations and good luck with your new job at Disney.
    Last edited by TheHatboxGhost; 10-25-2011 at 09:59 AM.

  13. #5023

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Middle River, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    1,366

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    I ran across the following today and thought I'd share it. It looks pretty good.





    Whoa - That's my alternate mix from The Haunted Mansion Unauthorized 36th Anniversary CD set from 2005. As usual, I didn't get any credit...


    UPDATE: Talked with the guy that put the video together, and he's going to credit Grinning Ghost Productions.
    Last edited by Grinning Ghost; 10-25-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Update

  14. #5024

    • Larger Than (After)Life
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    A Dusty Attic
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    In the realm of classy, Mansion inspired art:



    The Hanged Man - William Basso

    mixed media and collage on panel - 14 x 18

    Basso Art - The Art of William Basso, Bill Basso
    This piece, or one very much like it, was among the works exhibited at the first "Tribute To The Haunted Mansion" art show and sale, held at The Halloweentown Store's Parlour Gallery in Burbank, California, a few years back. I attended and recall seeing the stunning work.

  15. #5025

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,481

    Re: The Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect Thread 7: Further Realms of Fright

    If y'all are still wondering how someone can get lead exposure from handling (or licking) brass, HERE

    Sounds like all they'd have to do is recast the bats (and chains, etc.) with lead-free brass.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

    The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  2. 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect vs The Army of Darkness, or the Thread 5
    By CaitlinMcFly in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2077
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 02:45 AM
  2. Replies: 2011
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
  3. Replies: 2544
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •